Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Real Food" for Leadman 250 bike using Osmo drink
Quote | Reply
For those of you that use "real food" on the bike, what foods do you eat? I am having a problem finding foods high in carbs, but lower in fat and fiber. A bit of background about me. Been competing in triathlon for 6 years, focusing on long distance tri for the past 3. I normally use what's on the course but when I heard about the 5 week test for Osmo Nutrition, I jumped at the chance. I studied exercise physiology and nutrition and wanted to see how Stacy Sims' new product worked compared to Perform, Gatorade and others.

I am training for the Leadman 250 and have been experimenting with real food (as per her recommendations.) After a bit of a bonk over the weekend (during a pre-ride of the Leadman course), I talked with Stacy about it and it turns out that at elevation, you need 1.5x the amount of calories from carbs. I live at sea level, so 6000ft is high. According to her I was 30g per hour under what I should be. I was eating pop tarts, pb and j sandwhiches and Power Bar energy blasts. It was about 250 kcal per hour. My problem is, everything that is higher in carbs, seems higher in fiber (raisins, dates) or higher in fat (nuts).

I was thinking jelly beans or other candy? I love making homemade granola/energy bars, but they seem to be high in fiber or fat. Recipe ideas? Other ideas?

Thanks so much!

Sports Nutritionist, Exercise Physiologist, USAT Level 2 Coach, RRCA Running Coach
http://www.fueledandfocused.com
Quote Reply