Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Real" Length of the Alcatraz Swim
Quote | Reply
So what is it? They list it at 1.5 miles, but seems to me that the swim times from the results indicate a much shorter swim. Im guesssing it is from the Ebb tide?

What is the "effective" length of the swim?
Quote Reply
Re: "Real" Length of the Alcatraz Swim [ranger5oh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just go to any of those mapping sites, and you can get the exact distance as measured on the bottom of the ocean. Just plug in the start and finish areas of the race you are looking at, and you get the straight line. Not really relevant to the actual race though. That swim can swing over 10+ minutes for the pros on given days, so it is time that really matters. And you won't know that until after the fact, so not much reason to stress about it.. That is the one thing in swimming that differs from running and cycling, you do not swim on the bottom line, but in the always fluid movements of the top water.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 1.5 miles is an approximate straight-line distance from the boat to the Yacht Club.

The fastest swimmers will be able to swim closest to a straight line. Slower swimmers will swim a large arc that goes toward S. Francisco, first, then toward the Yacht Club. The current toward the Golden Gate Bridge will be ~4 mph, so all swimmers will be carried in that direction with the current. In essence, you're swimming across a river with a brisk current and landing at the opposite shore about 1 mile downstream. The swift current accounts for the relatively quick times for the distance. There is typically a moderate chop and swells in the middle of the bay that are 3-4 feet.

Larry Creswell
http://www.athletesheart.org, @athletesheart
Quote Reply
Re: "Real" Length of the Alcatraz Swim [lcreswell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I plan on swimming more of an arc. :)

Thanks for the info, thats basically what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking at the record swim times they are all from the same year due to an exceptionally strong current that year ( 2004). this was the only year I have done this race and I swam 22:14 which I believe was faster than the old swim record, of course all the pros were swimming 20 minutes ;-)

Go to the race meetings, they will have people that swim the bay all the time to tell you where to aim so that you finish at the beach and don't get pushed furher down the shore. I did exactly as they indicated and swam right to the first part of the beach.

There is always a current pushing you toward the bridge, but hat year it was much stronger than normal.
Quote Reply
Re: "Real" Length of the Alcatraz Swim [mikedonia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.. .that IS a strong current! 20 minutes for 1.5 miles is less than 1 min per 100yds. So.. yeah, Im guessing strong current!

Im basically just having difficulty trying to judge how to pace myself. Swimming 1.5mi is a different pace for me than 1mi.

I guess I'll just go with the flow... pun intended :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a really good dvd called Swimming From Alcatraz. It's a good idea to watch it.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Im guessing strong current! <<

Let's just say, the current has been so strong that if you miss the finish and go past and try to swim back against the current, you go no where. Best just to get out and run back a long the shore. One year lots of people got pushed about 1/4 mile. Lots more got "repositioned" (the Doug Flutie year, for those who were there).

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should purchase The Alcatraz Swim Manual from the tricalifornia website. In addition to some interesting history about Alcatraz and the various escape attempts, it outlines in good detail the issues related to the current, sighting, etc. Reading the book will help you on race day, regardless of how competitive you plan to make the swim.

Larry Creswell
http://www.athletesheart.org, @athletesheart
Quote Reply
Re: "Real" Length of the Alcatraz Swim [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where can you purchase the DVD?
Googled the title and found a VHS tape. Is that the same thing?

Thanks,

fal7 in Housotn
Quote Reply
Re: "Real" Length of the Alcatraz Swim [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, I guess it is just on VHS. Sorry.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: "Real" Length of the Alcatraz Swim [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You're right, I guess it is just on VHS. Sorry.
What is this "VHS" thing you speak of? ;)
Quote Reply