Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Racoon Eyes" from Goggles
Quote | Reply
Any tips for avoiding rings around the eyes after swimming? If I don't wear my goggles tight enough, I have problems with leaking. If they are tight enough to avoid leaks, they leave a ring around my eyes that won't go away for several hours.
Quote Reply
Re: "Racoon Eyes" from Goggles [CHMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
change your goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a different type of goggles. A different shape might fit you better. The Swedish type fit me really well but lots of people I know can't stand them.

Hoka One One - Field Service Rep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the problem. Are people staring at you with bug eyes? I get this too, doesn't really bother me. I am guessing it is more pronounced on older folk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swedish goggles won't leave that mark.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had that problem when I initially started swimming. I found that for me, Aquasphere Kaiman or TYR Nest Pro goggles solved the leaking issues, and left little-to-no marks on my face afterwards. Swedes work as well, but many people find these hard to deal with, and they do leave more of a mark.
Quote Reply
Re: "Racoon Eyes" from Goggles [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I had that problem when I initially started swimming. I found that for me, Aquasphere Kaiman or TYR Nest Pro goggles solved the leaking issues, and left little-to-no marks on my face afterwards. Swedes work as well, but many people find these hard to deal with, and they do leave more of a mark.

+1 on Aquasphere Kaimans. The frame and gaskets are super soft and the strap doesn't need to be tight to seal well.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have to pull the straps tight enough that the goggles leave a long lasting mark, then the goggles likely aren't a great fit.

You should be able to put the goggles on and use them as tool to hold the goggles in place, rather than create a seal. A good snug fit on the straps should help to alleviate a lot of the ring around the eye. Additionally something with a softer gasket/ larger gasket can help also. These large soft gaskets sit around the eye socket rather than in on the soft tissue around your eye. Now to each their own here, as some people are afraid that they may look dorky with a larger goggle. But in my opinion, I'd rather have a pair of goggles that work without issue and without causing pain or circles, than something I have to mess with a lot, or keeps losing it's seal. A functional goggle is never a dorky one.

I'd recommend trying some goggles on at your local shop.

Simply Swim has a pretty good outline of how to choose the right goggles for you. http://www.simplyswim.com/...ChoosingGoggles.aspx

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes - to more pronounced on older folks - they seem to alst all day and just look like bags under my eyes ...so I went to a type that is a little more of a mask rather than just a seal around the googles - yes I could immediately feel more drag in the water - but I don't have bags under my eyes for hours after a swim - I still use the old goggles and may use them in races.

D
Quote Reply
Re: "Racoon Eyes" from Goggles [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

+1 on Aquasphere Kaimans. The frame and gaskets are super soft and the strap doesn't need to be tight to seal well.

+1. I love mine. And they last forever.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Racoon Eyes" from Goggles [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried those - for some reason, those would fog on me instantly, whereas the Speedo Vanquishers don't. Might have to do with the lower profile of them and my eyes, but they totally failed on me despite feeling comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: "Racoon Eyes" from Goggles [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same problem. Co-workers look at me like what the hell happened to you at lunch (I never tell them I swim at lunch as I don't want them hounding the clock should I take an extra 15-30 mins for lunch.

At least now I have an indoor pool. Before I would come back with bug eyes and sunburn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aqua sphere!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CHMan wrote:
Any tips for avoiding rings around the eyes after swimming? If I don't wear my goggles tight enough, I have problems with leaking. If they are tight enough to avoid leaks, they leave a ring around my eyes that won't go away for several hours.

Wear them as a badge of honor, along with green hair, the scent of chlorine in your skin, and broad shoulders if you swim hard enough:)

Also, it is raccoon eyes, with two c's.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I went through nearly every goggle out there - I have deep set eyes and goggles either leak or hurt like hell. Trained and raced with Aquasphere Kaimans for about three years (every color and lens option). They would wear out but as long as I kept a few on hand I was good to go. Recently started using TYR Tracers with a bungee cord. The gaskets are comfortable and a little better peripheral vision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquasphere makes quality stuff from what most people say, just not for me. Always had minor leak and fogging issues with them, and were not the most comfortable goggles. If you want top notch, try out Sables. Unbeatable across the board and worth the hefty price IMO.
Quote Reply