Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this??
Quote | Reply
I heard something today I've never heard before...and I heard it twice in the couse of about 2 hours from 2 different places. I've probably never heard of it before because I've never been a runner, but it was pretty interesting.

Basically, its like taking an interval approach to races. Go as hard as you can for a period of time and then back off for a short bit & repeat. Guess its like contstant surging. Both people I heard it in relation to are known as extremely fast runners for triathletes...one is a former ITU #1 and the other is Mark Allen who made reference to it on that competitor radio podcast when he was talking about chasing down a competitor at the Nice triathlon. His quote was something to the effect of "if I wanted to catch him I couldn't race like a triathlete, I had to race like a runner. I ran as hard as I could for as long as I could, backed down a bit and then repeated it until I caught him". The former ITU #1 made reference to running 2k all out taking 30" and then repeating until the finish.

Maybe this is common among runners, but I guess I just have always run like a triathlete :) Something I may start to try in races to see if it helps.

Anyway, thought it was interesting at the very least.

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [Mark in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Mark Allen's gas tank has extra compartments that most of the rest of us don't have. I race at a high level of discomfort (i.e. at about my 95% level) and save my surge (if I need it) for the end. I can't imagine surging on and off in a race unless I was running at about an 80% or less discomfort level.
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [Mark in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
makes no sense.

Kenyan runners often work together taking it in turns to surge and break others and Henry Rono was famous for continually dropping surges to break guys, but if you are trying to catch someone the best way to do it is to run steady. Surges only work to break another runner if that other runner is running with you....if he is 200 yards up the road all you are doing is breaking yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
riiiiiiight...

Tell that to The Great One.

Haile Gebrselassie
Platz / Overall: 1 (in Altersklasse / Agegroup: M30)

5 km: 00:14:44
10 km: 00:29:27 / 00:14:43
15 km: 00:44:16 / 00:14:50
20 km: 00:59:10 / 00:14:54
25 km: 01:14:05 / 00:14:55
30 km: 01:28:56 / 00:14:51
35 km: 01:43:38 / 00:14:43
40 km: 01:58:08 / 00:14:30
FINISH: 2:04:26
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a bit different myself, but it worked for both these guys...and continues to do so for the first. He constantly comes from off the pace on the bike to run down the leaders and win races.

Also, just to clarify. When I say backing off, I'm not talking about walking or slowing to 8 minute miles or anything. For the ITU guy it amounts to going from sub 5s to 5:20ish or so. Just easing off enough to give the body a bit of a break.

Fit2Tri Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Gebrselassie did some serious slacking off between 10k and 30k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember Dave Scott saying the same thing many many years ago. He ran hard and when it started to hurt he would slow down until he recovered and then went hard again. He didn't have the prettiest running style but it seemed to work pretty good for him. Of course, until Mark caught him in '89.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are steady 5ks, and I'm sure if you took the 5k splits from the two athletes that I got this from theirs would be pretty steady too. The harder efforts are less than 5k, and there are a lot of ways one could vary their pace within that 5k and still have steady 5k splits.

I'm just asking because these 2 guys are 2 of the best runners in our sport and they have and continue to race this way.

Not advocating it, saying its right or wrong...just that I heard it, hadn't before and thought it was interesting.

Sounds a lot like what I've heard people advocate for pacing a sprint on the bike...go til you feel like puking, back off a bit, and go again.

Fit2Tri Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time I'm 200 yards up the road and you are trying to catch me...PLEASE run this way.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your deal?? I never said I did run this way, or that it was the right way to run. I just heard that 2 of the top runners in triathlon have and are running this way and was interested to see if any of the guys on here who come from a running background had heard of this before or ran this way.

Who knows. I've always run steady and tried to build my effort level throughout the run, but maybe I will run this way and run you down...but then again you have to manage to get 200yds up the road on me ;)

Fit2Tri Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe there is some merit to this. I did a similar thing to chase down a guy in my AG in a race last weekend. It took me about a mile to close the 200 yard gap through surging and recovering. I finally caught and passed him then backed off slightly and he passed me. Then I just ran on his heels for a bit while I recovered. About a quarter mile from the finish I then put on a strong pass that we couldn't respond to and put over 15 seconds on him at the finish. Of course we're both in our 50s and neither of us is exactly elite status.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
What's your deal?? I never said I did run this way, or that it was the right way to run. I just heard that 2 of the top runners in triathlon have and are running this way and was interested to see if any of the guys on here who come from a running background had heard of this before or ran this way.

Who knows. I've always run steady and tried to build my effort level throughout the run, but maybe I will run this way and run you down...but then again you have to manage to get 200yds up the road on me ;)
I don't have a deal. I told you, the most efficient and therefore the fastest way to run is evenly. Constantly surging and then backing off is a very inefficient way to run and makes absolutely no sense in any way shape or form unless your competition is on your shoulder or can see you and you are trying to break him. Using this tactic to catch a guy ahead of you or who doesn't know you're there doesn't make any sense. Run a steady pace and you'll catch him faster and you'll be in better shape to drop him too.

And I can guarantee you that Geb's mile splits are as even, probably moreso, than his 5K splits.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't come from a running background, and I don't recall the specifics of the article I'm referring to, but I do remember reading an article once where the author spent some time training with elite Kenyan runners and described a similar tactic. They're running at the same pace as the person they're trying to catch, but instead of pushing the pace and running them down, and possibly blowing up, they take it in chunks by surging faster for up to a minute then backing back off to their previous pace.

scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been more in the steady pacing camp, unless I'm head to head with someone then surges are appropriate, but that has never happened in an Ironman. But I think what they are referring to is as much a mental surge as actually increasing the pace. My guess is running like that kept Mark's pace pretty consistent but it took more and more effort as the race went on. So by making a decision to surge he was probably maintaining pace, but digging deeper into his reserves.

MC

http://www.mctriguy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I've always heard/thought, which is why I was interested to hear Mark Allen and this other ITU athlete (one of top runners) say they ran almost like they were running intervals during their race, with the ITU racer actually measuring it to 2k on 30" 'rest'...if you can call 5:15s resting. Listen to that competitor podcast with Mark. He said he felt he wouldn't have been able to catch him if he just tried to run steady. Again, I'm not saying its right or wrong or faster or slower...just that its interesting to hear something against mainstream thinking/practice from 2 of the sports top runners.

Fit2Tri Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. That makes a lot of sense. 1 of them I can actually talk to about it, so I'll have to do that to get it sorted out. That's actually how I try to run, especially for events longer than 10k. The pace doesn't change much if any, but in order to hold it as the tank runs low it feels like I'm working a lot harder.

Thanks.

Mark

Fit2Tri Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere along the way I picked up "feel good-run good." Running this way gave me faster times at ironman than proper pacing.
Also surging, and chasing are very risky, which can really pay off. We don't always know what we can do and sometimes going faster than we might plan results is finding out we can go faster than we think.
Lastly in short course running it can be good to run someone down but then recover before trying to drop them. A strong move can break someone while going by someone gassed is an invation to battle them and then sprint to the line. That's less good.
That said I always race best when I measure my pace properly in half ironmans. So there you go: three different distance-three different approaches. Lucky for me I hear at least 3 voices in my head :)

http://www.johnhirsch.org
http://www.stronglikebulltraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are called ins and outs. I will do a 2-3 mile ins outs as part of my weekly interval workout. Ins at 3k pace/ outs at marathon pace. The time interval is 30 seconds. It will take you a few months to get used to them and it might take longer to race that way. I don't race that way the whole time. I only incorporate the ins/outs towards the end of a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surging in a race is nothing new, you can look through the race reports of just about any XC race, marathon, road race and many triathlons and duathlons (especially the first run). Not the most economical way to run, but if you can run a 5;30 pace per mile and the other dude can run only a 5;40 ppm and you guys are racing at 5:50 ppm your surge if you hold it long enough can be a way to get rid of the other guy. Abdi broke the back of the entire NCAA XC nationals field one year doing this repeatedly, well broke everyone but Goucher that is.

If you are not going over your limits too often but forcing others over their limits more often, sooner or later they will disappear.

Most triathletes are in decreasing velocity running mode once they get off the bike until the final 200m.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runners do this when they're racing tactically-- i.e., trying to win the race, but not necessarily PR. When they're going for a record, they have a rabbit to help them hit the splits pretty even except for a fast finish. Road cyclists do this too, only they call it "attacking." However, when cyclists are time trialing, they pace as evenly as the terrain allows and finish hard, just like the runners going for a record. Both types of athletes train specifically to be able to handle these efforts and not die. The only time I've seen this approach be useful in triathlon is in ITU Oly distance. I think most of us non-ITU triathletes are better off using those training stress points in other ways rather than developing our ability to surge and recover in races.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [rocklinwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They are called ins and outs. I will do a 2-3 mile ins outs as part of my weekly interval workout. Ins at 3k pace/ outs at marathon pace. The time interval is 30 seconds. It will take you a few months to get used to them and it might take longer to race that way. I don't race that way the whole time. I only incorporate the ins/outs towards the end of a race.

That sounds like a brutally hard workout. When you race that way, do you really surge to 3k pace? How long are the races where you employ this tactic? If I dropped so much as 800 meters at 3k pace in the middle of a 5k, I would blow up within a couple of minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [MuffinTop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another real good workout is to do 10x1k @ 5k pace (30sec rest).
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah ... I definitely wouldn't put it past you to give me that workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the technique of surging then backing off does work in a race, of 10 km or 5 km , Not sure if it would work to your advantage in a long triathlon , I could see this idea working in a sprint tri. 750 swim , 20 k cycle, 5 k run.. longer tri's require you to the conservation of power and energy'
just my opinion for what its worth . Master's Long course triathlon champion 2004 ..
a runner for over 35 years and a cyclist since 1980, Track & field coach ..
http://www.idorun.ca
good luck in your training

Quote Reply
Re: "Racing like a runner" - run tactics...anyone else heard of or actually do this?? [idorun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no secret sauce that works for everyone. Try it in your training...especially your tougher bricks and see how it goes. Sometimes mixing things up a little can yeild a breakthrough. Hell...doing it in training could potentially benefit you in a race where you run steady the whole way anyhow...just from the adaptations.
I think I may fiddle with it...why not.

ADW

ADW

Quote Reply

Prev Next