Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Racing" Lance in Austin
Quote | Reply
I did a Splash and Dash this Tuesday in Austin. While in the parking lot I see none other than Lance Armstrong pull up with towel and goggles in hand. I have a little bit of swim talent, but basically I am an age grouper (nothing wrong with that!) so this was a little bit of a thrill for me. So here is my brief race report:

The race is a 750M swim and 2 mile run. The run is windy, wet and gravelly so though the race is short a sweet, if you do this "right" and can be really hard. There were half a dozen pros (I don’t know if that was a coincidence) at the race but I figured I might be able to swim with the lead pack so I dove in the water, grabbed a nice spot on the line and waited for the gun (actually horn). The first 50M were very fast and the a pack of 5 swimmers including myself quickly broke away. The swimmer right behind me, Peter Mallet is a good pro who usually beats me out of the water and the guy right ahead of me was (of course) Lance. I was amused. The course is one big loop with 5 buoys each about 150M apart. After each buoy Lance would hammer just a little bit with his legs but I was in good position and was able to avoid getting dropped. Coming into the last buoy I decide that I have to pass everyone because I figure I am going to be posting a race report on slowtwitch(!); Hence I go to the outside of the draft line and attempt a pass. Unfortunately(!) all the swimmers in the lead pack were pros, they had plenty of gas in the tank and they cut great angles on the bouy so really that decision ended up being pretty dumb. I lost a few second the last 100M, came out of the water 4th and ran over to my shoes. I saw Lance run by me (with his shoes already on), I put on my glasses and shoes ( I should not have put glasses on first) ran up a hill and started the 2 mile run. I spent the rest of the race being picked off by the other pros, the running machine known as Joe Thorne and a few other elite age group types. I did "pass" James Bonney who DNF'd (my guess he is doing IMTx and was just out there for the swim). Ended up 8th overall, though my timing chip got screwed up somehow and the results show me with 8th place but list me 9th. Whatever.

A few take aways: First my transitions stink compared to those who know what they are doing (big surprise). Also, this was NOT a normal midweek splash and dash. I swam at about 1:15/100M (transition is included in the swim time and I did it in 9:5X) and ran at 6:25ish. I am not saying those are great, but those times don’t typically result in getting your butt handed to you in a midweek race! But you put a bunch of type A personalities together, throw in Lance Armstrong and a clock and you will get some pretty freaking hard racing. Oh and if you want to know, Lance did win (he ran about 5:15 per mile). He stuck around for a little bit, was neither nice nor rude; he was just there to race like anyone else. I got a small acknowledgment from him as we were about to jump in the lake. I will pretend that it was because I look like an incredible athlete, but it was probably because I was standing right next to him (Ha!). All in all, he made a fun event memorable and without sounding too obsequious I am glad he raced...
Last edited by: ajthomas: May 17, 12 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing" Lance in Austin [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool! Yes, your times are great AG times but those pro's just had better parents.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of elite athletes are "just another dude" personally. You'll get your pricks in every walk of life, and I'm not saying that everyone doesn't think Lance is an ass. I really enjoyed the article about him in the latest Mens Journal. That is, of course, if you can manage to get through it without being overwhelmed by the 5 pages of cologne samples.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report - thanks for sharing!

I never really sat down and did the math...if you could hold a 5:15, that would be right around a 33 minute 10k. I have never run a mile under 6 minutes (although I might be able to now). This means the fastest ITU dudes are, after swimming and biking, going around 4:50! That's insane....

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I belong to the gym where the Splash n' Dashes are held and it is cool to have our own little OWS swim course in the quarry. I've seen Lance at a few of the local OWS swims in the lakes and of course at some of the open runs, particularly the Livestrong half and full marathons. Jack Murray at Jack and Adam's bikes is the main driver behind these races and they draw a lot of the local and visiting pros who like the opportunity to do a very short race with a swim and intensity run component to vary up their training. You didn't mention it, but the winning female is one of the very best pros around right now, Kelly Williamson, who regularly posts half-marathon times in 70.3s that are better than most pro men. She was also a Division 1 swimmer in college. One of the perks of living in Austin is seeing some of these folks around at the same places us "Joes" train. Good job in the race.
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing" Lance in Austin [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
I belong to the gym where the Splash n' Dashes are held and it is cool to have our own little OWS swim course in the quarry. I've seen Lance at a few of the local OWS swims in the lakes and of course at some of the open runs, particularly the Livestrong half and full marathons. Jack Murray at Jack and Adam's bikes is the main driver behind these races and they draw a lot of the local and visiting pros who like the opportunity to do a very short race with a swim and intensity run component to vary up their training. You didn't mention it, but the winning female is one of the very best pros around right now, Kelly Williamson, who regularly posts half-marathon times in 70.3s that are better than most pro men. She was also a Division 1 swimmer in college. One of the perks of living in Austin is seeing some of these folks around at the same places us "Joes" train. Good job in the race.
-Doug

She was 20 seconds off Lance at the end, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Very cool.
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing" Lance in Austin [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. She's doing IMTX or I suspect you would have seen even faster from her.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're with 7x TdF Champ. Wow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was an awesome experience. Great race and I'm pretty sure your time was faster than 22:55 as we are listed the same and I never caught up to you. See you out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job and nice report.

Who was the 5th place woman, Kristi Johnson? Gotta build that resume'!

Quote | Reply
"She's doing IMTX or I suspect you would have seen even faster from her"

Kelly is not racing IM Texas if that is who you are referring to.

Quote Reply
Re: "Racing" Lance in Austin [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
...the winning female is one of the very best pros around right now, Kelly Williamson

I've recently rediscovered Kelly Williamson. It was about a year ago, at IMTX, when I first learned of her & my wife lusted after her pink camo QR. Over the past few days, I've been reading up on her work with MS-related causes (a cause which is a little too near to my own heart), and I have to say, she brings "world class" & "professional" to a whole new level.

#cureMS
Last edited by: dseiler: May 17, 12 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: "Racing" Lance in Austin [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:

She was 20 seconds off Lance at the end, right?

For accuracy sake, it was Mr. Intensity - Peter Mallet - who was :20 off Lance. Kelly was about :40 back. But she is everything and more that everyone has said.
Quote Reply