Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Race Season" and Planning?
Quote | Reply
Team -

So, if anyone has read any of my posts there are 2 things that are fairly obvious - a) I'm a data-cruncher and b) I'm alarmingly green when it comes to this endurance thing.

Keeping both of those in mind, I've done a lot of research on races and vocabulary, but there's something I just need some clarity on, if someone (or someones) doesn't mind.

I've read quite a few races that say 'finish your triathlon season with <insert race name>" in any number of months. I also understand the concept (at a high level) of 'A races' and 'B races' - one being your primary target and the others being tune up/tweak/test races. Fine, sure. But, I think what I might be missing is - is there an actual, calendar season for triathlons? That is, does some governing body have a general calendar that marks the beginning of 'race season' and then it's on you to prioritize? What I'm gathering is that a season revolves around any given athlete's 'A races.' But, I could be wrong - it could be that the universal calendar for all things Tri revolves around Kona, or something.

I'm just looking for some guidance so I can ask intelligent questions and make reasonable plans. This year, for example, will be my first actually running a race. If everything goes well, I'd like to do 2 - either 2 sprints or a sprint and an olympic - before Jan 1. That's...my calendar. July - Jan is my 'season.' But, if I use that language incorrectly, someone might look at me like I'm an idiot and I may not get the help I need.

So, am I on the right track here?
Quote Reply
Re: "Race Season" and Planning? [m_hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your on the right track.

I would say triathlon season in North America is April - October.

There are races November- March, but far less of them.

People usually pick an A race or perhaps two. Then they build their schedule around those races.

Nothing magical about the time of year. It is more event focused.

You should be training year round if you are trying to be competitive, but in the off-season your training focus is more about building a base or focusing on a particular weakness. In-season you are building towards a race and the specifics of that race.
Quote Reply