Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Pure" is the most evil term in sports.
Quote | Reply
On the pit of despair page. Sorry I mean Mr. Tibbs page the topic of words being missed used was brought up. It was agreed by all that "extreme" is an overused pile that needs to be stricken from the Earth.

To the main page I bring the following question. Should anyone using the word pure outside of a manufacturing or scientific environment be punched in the mouth hard with brass knuckles?

Examples: "My steel frame is more pure than your aluminum." "My single speed is more pure than you multi-gear." "The Olympics aren't pure anymore because of pros being allowed to play and not pure amateurs." "Tim Deboom's Ironman victory isn't pure because he raced to win not to blow up on the run after going too fast on the bike."

Thoughts?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: Sep 7, 04 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: "Pure" is the most evil term in sports. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any race where drafting is allowed is not pure

even in science and manufacturing the use of the would pure can be incorrect...sad to say but the word is rapidly losing its pure meaning

on another note...the end is surely near
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is PURE BS :)
Quote Reply
Re: "Pure" is the most evil term in sports. [JayC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course it's pure BS! Look at who wrote it! :-P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pure is often used to quantify the value of something that is inherently qualitative. For example, with Scotch, there are numerous "Pure" malts on the market, and are advertised as such because they are, indeed, made of pure malt. However, it is single malt which is valuable, that is to say, scotch made from a single malt in a single distillation process, yielding, hopefully, a high quality scotch that typifies its type. This, as opposed to blending, which attempts to create a better whole through synergistic combination of several mediocre single malts.

Extreme is definitely overused(I'm sorry, "extreme Doritos"? WTF?!?) and pure tends towards being overused as well.

Add to your list: epic.

BTW, I think my minni-rant is a pure pile of extremely epic horse dung.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: "Pure" is the most evil term in sports. [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Pure is often used to quantify the value of >>something that is inherently qualitative.

I would argue that pure refers to quantitative values. If it is pure then it has less (residues) quantities of undesirable substances. For example, pure water.

Therefore, this thread is not pure BS. If we gave Mr Tibbs a colonial and send a sample to the lab, then most certainly the lab report will reveal that he has some truth in his arguments. From a quantitative approach, arguing that an aluminium bike is pure is a subject for material engineering. From a qualitative perspective, it suggests that the bike has some qualitative subjective value(s) not found in a bike of a different material. This subjectivity is what makes such arguments invalid.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: "Pure" is the most evil term in sports. [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was having a hard time finding the exact correct words to describe what I was trying to say.

As you point out, in the case of bikes, neither a steel bike nor an aluminum bike will be pure, from a metallurgical point of view. They are alloyed to create the desired characteristics.

I guess that the point I was trying to make is what you allude to(although it's still kind of cryptic): The material purity of a thing may or may not be the source of something's percieved superiority, and may or may not be seen as positive at all, depending on what that thing is.

I think I've confused myself nicely.

Quote Reply
Re: "Pure" is the most evil term in sports. [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I guess that the point I was trying to make is what you allude to(although it's still kind of cryptic): The material purity of a thing may or may not be the source of something's percieved superiority, and may or may not be seen as positive at all, depending on what that thing is. "

You have just proved my point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought of another example of your point when I was in bed last night(Does that disturb you?)

Mathematics is broken into two basic areas: Pure Mathematics and Applied Mathematicians. The Purists pride themselves on keeping their math strictly abstract, while deriding the Applied Mathematicians for sullying their beautiful numbers by actually using them to solve real-world problems.

On the other hand, the Applied Mathematicians see their science as an effort to make the world a better place through math, and can't understand why someone would spend their lives diddling around with numbers in their heads, knowing that any solutions they find would serve no practical purpose exact as a proof in some esoteric textbook read by perhaps 30 people a year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I would suggest the following alternative solutions:

Kicked in the balls....hard

Three Stooges Eye gouge

Texas Titty-twister

Shoving your foot so far up their ass they can floss with the shoe laces

2x4 to back of the head

High speed lead therapy

Keel Hauling

beat with a sock full of quarters

dragged through the desert behind an oil burning early 70's leaded gas burning chevy with no muffler

forced to listen to yoko ono's solo album

300 repeated viewings of Gigli...eyeballs taped open

Just a few off the top of my head