Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Popping" during pedal stroke
Quote | Reply
I've got a question maybe someone on here can help me answer. I just bought a mid 90s carbon Trek road bike and I've been trying to get it tuned up. The headset was creaking, which I just about have taken care of. The front derailleur was rubbing, and that's about fixed also. The last thing I am working on is a slight "pop" as I am pedaling hard, particularly when out of the saddle. It's hardly audible, but I can feel it in my right foot when the pedal is at or near 1 o'clock (when initiating the downward phase of the stroke). It feels like it's somewhere in the chain or the crank. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but it mildly concerns me. The chain could use some oil, but I can't imagine that would account for it. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: "Popping" during pedal stroke [mcgruff1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clean/re-grease the bottom bracket, then check/tighten the chainring bolts. That should take care of it

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check your cleats. Chasing these things suck, for sure.
A tactile pop sounds like a cleat issue to me though.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcgruff1 wrote:
I've got a question maybe someone on here can help me answer. I just bought a mid 90s carbon Trek road bike and I've been trying to get it tuned up. The headset was creaking, which I just about have taken care of. The front derailleur was rubbing, and that's about fixed also. The last thing I am working on is a slight "pop" as I am pedaling hard, particularly when out of the saddle. It's hardly audible, but I can feel it in my right foot when the pedal is at or near 1 o'clock (when initiating the downward phase of the stroke). It feels like it's somewhere in the chain or the crank. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but it mildly concerns me. The chain could use some oil, but I can't imagine that would account for it. Any ideas?

Pedals, cleats, bottom bracket are all strong possibilities. Chain, cassette, freehub less so as those won't usually make the noise on each pedal stroke but anything is possible. Basic maintenance in the way of a breakdown, clean and rebuild starting with the BB as recommended is a good idea but it could be several things. If it doesn't go away with the BB maintenance you might try swapping on a different set of pedals, perhaps a set that use different shoes and cleats to see if that changes anything. IOW, divide and conquer to help isolate the problem.

Good luck,
-Dave
Quote Reply
Re: "Popping" during pedal stroke [Dave_Ryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was getting a popping noise at the same point in my pedal stroke.

I removed my bottom bracket. It looked fine. Greased it, put it back.
Took off my pedals. They seemed fine. Greased them and put them back.

After all of that work of making sure everything was secure, I noticed something that made me feel dumb:
-The excess cable from my front deraileur was sticking straight out. Every time I would pedal, it would catch my foot and "snap" back. When I would pedal HARD, it would snap back and hit the frame and make a click/pop sound.

I felt pretty dumb. I bent the cable towards the frame and rode on with resolve.
Quote Reply
Re: "Popping" during pedal stroke [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good mention, I've done that before :) Drove me crazy because every time I would get off the bike and pedal by hand the noise would go away!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Popping" during pedal stroke [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
good mention, I've done that before :) Drove me crazy because every time I would get off the bike and pedal by hand the noise would go away!

Yeah, that one got a smile out of me as I've definitely done that. I wouldn't describe it as a popping noise, more of an annoying tick like you can get with a front derailleur cage slightly out of adjustment that just barely ticks the crankarm each time it comes around but only in the big ring, untrimmed shifter position. But yeah, the bent shifter cable isn't unusual and can be annoying if you don't realize what's happening.

-Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You either need a new chain or cassette or both. Let me guess, it all works and shifts fine in the stand and when riding easy, but when you stand up to go up a hill it pops and slips. If you have put a new chain on recently you need a new cassette. I had put a new chain on my new bike this spring and rode an older cassette and the thing slipped when I stood up and put power down.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the bb is the same age as the bike or external cups that are older, just don't unscrew them, clean and inspect the threads. Look at the inside diameter of the bb cups and the crank spindle in the areas where they contact. Look for any signs of grooving.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: "Popping" during pedal stroke [Dave_Ryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave_Ryan wrote:
mcgruff1 wrote:

Pedals, cleats, bottom bracket are all strong possibilities. Chain, cassette, freehub less so as those won't usually make the noise on each pedal stroke but anything is possible. Basic maintenance in the way of a breakdown, clean and rebuild starting with the BB as recommended is a good idea but it could be several things. If it doesn't go away with the BB maintenance you might try swapping on a different set of pedals, perhaps a set that use different shoes and cleats to see if that changes anything. IOW, divide and conquer to help isolate the problem.

Good luck,
-Dave

Bottom bracket doesn't have any play. The pedals are solid. The cassette appears relatively new, and the chain old, so I am going to replace the chain first and go from there.
Quote Reply