Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Podium" - help resolve a debate
Quote | Reply
I have seen people say they made "Podium" by taking 5th place, but other times I see people saying they "missed the Podium" by being 4th, even if they are given a 4th place award. So what is "Podium" - First through 3rd (always)? Or something else based on the race (for example, if they give out awards to 5th place)? My buddy is claiming it's only first thru 3rd (always and nothing else).
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally local races have awards for top 3, and only those three stand in the podium.

At Ironman races they have awards for top 5 and all of those folks get to go up onstage for photos.

In each case you have made the podium imo. So varies depending on the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top 3

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, it's Top 3, unless it's Shenedoah 100 MTB race SS division, then it trails all the way down to wherever Rich Dillon finishes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reaching the Podium depends on the race and the size of the podium. Sometimes 1-3, sometimes 1-5. Arguing this symantec is along the same lines as a "swimming lap" being one pool length, or two.
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I get lucky.
When I place 4th in my age group, top guy takes overall Master's win, so I'm 3rd in my age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm normally a believer in top 3 only. But I'm seen pics from mountain bike races with 5 person podiums...
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It varies from race to race, but I do know that it will be one less than whatever I place in the race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should always be only 3, but some events do 5. I personallycwouldn't say I made the podium by coming 4th in such an event, even though it would be an accurate statement.
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [cold turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Field size matters. If there's like 25 people or something, three. Now, if there's like 100+ people, then I could see 5 people.

3 spots for up to 30ish folks
4 spots for like 30 to 50 folks
5 spots for like 50 to 150
7 spots for like 150+ folks

I'm perfectly fine with expanding podiums for larger fields as your percentile is still stronger even with 7 spots in a 150 person field size versus 3 for 30 folks. 7th of 150 is arguably twice as good as 3rd of 30.

Blame the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who says the podium extends to 5th must routinely finish 4th or 5th...

3 spots. Hard cut-off.

There is reason the olympics don't give Gold-Silver-Bronze-Aluminum-Wood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the announcer calls my name, and I stand somewhere with a "prize" in my hand, while a race photographer takes my picture, I am "on the podium". If that means 4th, or 5th at an IM, that counts.

Why is this a debate?
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The definition of a "podium" is "a small platform on which a person may stand." If you are invited to stand on the podium, regardless of its size, then you made the podium. If I finish first, and there is no podium, I have not made the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
The definition of a "podium" is "a small platform on which a person may stand." If you are invited to stand on the podium, regardless of its size, then you made the podium. If I finish first, and there is no podium, I have not made the podium.

Right. And in a similar vein, a couple years ago I won a local 5k (this isn't a back door brag, there were only like 40 people in the race). They handed me a plaque for winning the race, and one to the female winner. And that was it.

Second place got nothing, and was not recognized. By some of the arguments above, second place was "on the podium" even though his name was not called and he wasn't given any prize or recognition. I say he was not on the podium.

It's a very simple definition. If they call your name, and have you stand on something to get your picture taken, it's "making the podium".
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good debate. did im 70.3 marbella last weekend and 1-5 got on podium etc. but only top 3 got on the actual stands. I must admit i found it very wierd. Why not just top 3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
I have seen people say they made "Podium" by taking 5th place, but other times I see people saying they "missed the Podium" by being 4th, even if they are given a 4th place award. So what is "Podium" - First through 3rd (always)? Or something else based on the race (for example, if they give out awards to 5th place)? My buddy is claiming it's only first thru 3rd (always and nothing else).

Since "podium" is obviously a nebulous concept, the easiest way to resolve this is to stop using the word podium. Just say your place in your AG out of the total, e.g. "I was 5th out 102". :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Celerius wrote:

Right. And in a similar vein, a couple years ago I won a local 5k (this isn't a back door brag, there were only like 40 people in the race). They handed me a plaque for winning the race, and one to the female winner. And that was it.

Second place got nothing, and was not recognized. By some of the arguments above, second place was "on the podium" even though his name was not called and he wasn't given any prize or recognition. I say he was not on the podium.

It's a very simple definition. If they call your name, and have you stand on something to get your picture taken, it's "making the podium".

this ^

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Since "podium" is obviously a nebulous concept, the easiest way to resolve this is to stop using the word podium. Just say your place in your AG out of the total, e.g. "I was 5th out 102". :)

But then what would we argue about?

Wikipedia says 3 and they are the only source I accept for debating. Argument settled
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Or you can do what they do in wrestling (and probably other sports, I'm just familiar with wrestling), and replace podium with "medaled" or "in the medals". Different tournaments give medals (and they aren't always actual medals, but the term still applies) and if you finish in on of those places you medaled. So at the NCAA tournament, top 8 finish in the medals, whiles other tournaments might only medal top 6, etc. Though the only reason this really matters in wrestling is to determine if they will actually wrestle a 7th place match, or a 5th place match. That obliviously doesn't apply to triathlon, so with that being said, I'm back to liking "I was 5th out of 102"
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [cold turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once "won" my age group by coming in 3rd. The 1st place AG guy won the race and 2nd was third overall. Me, being 3rd in the age group (like 5 or 6 overall) was awarded the age group win.

Conversely, and nothing to do with this thread, this past weekend, I was 16th overall...but 8th in my age group.

And: the answer is 3...only the top 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a guy who can only ever win age group placements at very small local races, I say "Podium" without context is top 3 overall and female. I like my AG awards but they are AG awards. Seems weird to say I made the AG podium. I would say I placed xth in my AG or won my AG but never associate podium with AG. Podium should be OA and gold, silver, bronze only.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Or you can do what they do in wrestling (and probably other sports, I'm just familiar with wrestling), and replace podium with "medaled" or "in the medals". Different tournaments give medals (and they aren't always actual medals, but the term still applies) and if you finish in on of those places you medaled. So at the NCAA tournament, top 8 finish in the medals, whiles other tournaments might only medal top 6, etc. Though the only reason this really matters in wrestling is to determine if they will actually wrestle a 7th place match, or a 5th place match. That obliviously doesn't apply to triathlon, so with that being said, I'm back to liking "I was 5th out of 102"

In junior AG swimming, they often give medals to top three, then ribbons to 4th through 8th. This used to be only in big meets but apparently now they give them out at every dual meet such that, with all the events and AGs, virtually every swimmer gets 2 or more ribbons. However, it is obv to everyone who wins the blue ribbons (1st) and who gets the orange ribbons (6th through 8th) so, while these are a form of "everyone gets a 'participation trophy'", there is still a clear distinction betw 1st and 8th. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. Just tell people anything you want. They don’t give a shit anyway.

Half pink

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, what???? When would a lap ever be the same as a length??
Quote Reply
Re: "Podium" - help resolve a debate [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Wait, what???? When would a lap ever be the same as a length??

Ugh, you took the bait...
Quote Reply

Prev Next