Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Perfect Fit" bike fitting
Quote | Reply
I went to a LBS today shopping for a new triathlon bike. I planned on scheduling a professional fitting session before choosing a bike, however the guy in the bike shop told me they could get me fit for a bike in 10 min by using this new laser system that takes measurements of your body, that it's just as good as a $250 professional fit, and that they do it for free. So i stood in this machine that scanned my front and back, then we went over to a computer, and it spit out a bunch of measurements for my ideal bike. They set up a Cervelo P2 with the measurements and I will say it was a comfortable ride, but I'm quite skeptical that these few minutes worth of body scans can be considered a replacement for a professional bike fit. I think I will still get the professional fit before choosing a bike, but I was curious if others thought this process has any value. Here is a link to the info about the shop's "Perfect Fit" system http://roll-online.com/...erfect-fit-pg154.htm.
Quote Reply
Re: "Perfect Fit" bike fitting [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like this system will basically measure a bunch of different parameters of your body, and spit out a bike setup for those parameters. I think that it might be good enough to get a ballpark bike fit, but not enough to get a really good one. There are a bunch more variables that will come into play, like your flexibility, saddle preference, preferred seat tube angle, preferred crank length, preferred head position, and more, that one single machine will not be able to fit you. I would suggest getting a good fit from a licensed fitter, as they should be able to dial you in much more accurately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Perfect fit"?! It's ever changing. A perfect fit for you might not be a perfect fit for someone else. Depending upon race distance, flexibility, ability to ride aggressive and run comfortably off the bike.

Find a bike that fits in your "range" and "comfort" level and ride/race and adjust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a LBS and for any customer that I truly care about I understand that there is no such thing as a "perfect fit". I also work with a few professional fitters who all have different philosophies on how to set people up so who's right? Who says this system is perfect? Perfect to what standard?

One thing it must not take into account (because you made no mention of it) was the difference between how your body adjusts to warming up. Did it take into account how your flexibility changes after riding for 20 min?

My $.02: Nothing will ever replace the human element. Anything free is as good as what you pay for it - including advice and fittings...

LBS Owner
Quote Reply