Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"New" USAT Pro Requirements...
Quote | Reply
Just curious how many of you would now qualify for USAT Pro Status according to their new requirements as of January 5, 2005.

CRITERIA A: Finish top eight and within 8 percent of the overall winner’s time, according to gender, in three (3) USAT sanctioned events that occurred within the past 12 months and had at least 500 participants.

CRITERIA B: Finish within 8 percent of the overall winner’s time in two (2) Ironman distance events that included an elite field (offering $5k or greater in prize purse) that occurred within the past 12 months and had at least 500 participants.

CRITERIA C: Finish within 8 percent of the overall winner’s time in one (1) Ironman- distance event that included an elite field (offering $5k or greater in prize purse) that occurred within the past 12 months and had at least 500 participants AND Finish top- 8 and within 8% of the overall winner’s time, according to gender, in one (1) USAT sanctioned event that occurred within the past 12 months and had at least 500 participants.

Before it seemed a lot of people would agree that qualifying for pro status was relatively "easy." I think before the requirements were (3) Top Tens within 10% of overall winner's time for races with 200 people. I would argue that this makes things a lot more difficult based on the quality of athletes [pros included] attending races with 500 people. Any thoughts?

NIK
www.athletelife.org
Quote Reply
Re: "New" USAT Pro Requirements... [nhobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone will correct me, but I figure that would require going 9:10 in an ironman in which the winner was around 8:30; or going 2:01 in an olympic distance race in which the winner was 1:52; or going 4:20 in a half-ironman in which the winner was 4 hours. Tough to cherry pick when a 500 person field will almost certainly draw someone of pro caliber.
Quote Reply
Re: "New" USAT Pro Requirements... [Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tough to cherry pick when a 500 person field will almost certainly draw someone of pro caliber.

It's still possible. Simply find an big event that has two race distances and race the shorter. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: "New" USAT Pro Requirements... [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess that the shorter race would require 500 participants as well since USAT scores them as separate races.

NIK
www.athletelife.org
Quote Reply
Re: "New" USAT Pro Requirements... [nhobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I mean races like Lifetime Fitness that draws ~1000 long course, ~700 short course.
Quote Reply
Re: "New" USAT Pro Requirements... [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha.

NIK
www.athletelife.org
Quote Reply