Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs
Quote | Reply
sorry for the title, we're doing the Odyssey in class right now.

what (or who) is tibbs that "tibbs lavender room"is named after him?

and why lavender?
Last edited by: Sir Velo: Oct 2, 06 17:17
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [Sir Velo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't this post be in the Lavender Room?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [Sir Velo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
search roadfused as a post name. you'll see Tibb's arch nemesis.

by the way he's called Jon Boy now.
Last edited by: aerojunkie2: Oct 2, 06 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We speak of Mr Tibbs only in hushed tones and in secret places.

He is like the wind, no one can touch him.
He is like the shadows, no one can see him.
He is like the sound of tubular tyres and a disk wheel on asphalt.

There is no place to seek for Tibbs, for he is like the footprints of the birds in the sky.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is like asking "why the fascination with Cervelo?"...

or, "What's really so great about Mark Allen?"

The truth is out there.

--------------------------------------------------
nuun-feedthemachine.com adventure racing team
2008 National Champions
http://www.clancymultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came in as the Tibbs era was winding down. It seemed that he had a string of some pretty crappy events in his life- and this was his solace. Unfortunately, his posts never really interested me, so i didn't see how he got an entire room named after him.

That said, after reading about the shit he went through on a personal level, I hope he's doing ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbs started out as customerjon not much unlike swimfan but then got insightfull for a little while and sparked some interesting discussions.

Started a funny club called Team Secondhand Racing that got semi-serious with people donating their spare equipment to people that needed it.

With so many off topics started in the main forum Slowman decided to create another room and name it after Tibbs, the person that started many of them.

Got a P3 from people donating to a fund, felt bad about accepting it, not really sure what finally happened to it. A lot of us here felt he should keep it. No, I didn't donate to the fund.

Had some personal problems I don't remember the details about and then faded into the background. I think he had needed time to sort things out.

Now he posts every once in a while and probably lurks a lot.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [Floating Debris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"so i didn't see how he got an entire room named after him. "

Because this is Slowtwitch. We have a thread with some 50K plus views and 766 posts about Sergio...a room for Tibbs is, well normal.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lavender room got started as a place for wide ranging discussions on a number of topcs only tangentially related to triathlon. It somehow turned into a place to discuss politics.

Like many geniuses Tibbs varied from right on the edge of normal to way past normal. I mean like medically not normal. From my end it seemed like manic depression. The good times were very good, he had very interesting and thoughtful things to say. The bad times were not good and other times what he had to say was just odd.

The most interesting things he had to say were when you could tell he had a significantly different way of thinking of things and looking at things.

On the other hand, it seems things got out of hand. Had some family problems etc. I think Jon seems more under control now, maybe different medicine or something. It means his lows are not like they once were and he proably is a much mor enormal person. It also means that we don't get observations as interesting as he used to give us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an interesting thread. I suppose I was around throughout the Tibbs era, but I never fully followed the story. We really need a forum historian to write down these stories. There have certainly been some interesting sports related internet forum dramas. A couple that I recall.

1. I believe trinewbies had an adultery scandal that was outed by a thread on that forum. I only heard about it second hand, but I am sure it was a great story. I think trinewbies (TNO) is like the arch nemesis of slowtwitch.

2. Back 5, maybe 7 years ago the runnersworld.com forum was quite good. There was this guy, some masters runner from the West coast. He created this whole alter ego, said he trained with Kenyan's very believable. Alway posting these workouts he was doing (in his dreams maybe). His ego finally got the best of him, because the times he was claiming were near national class for masters. I think at one point he put up a race report from some Grand Prix type meet in LA were he claimed to have run like a 1:51 800m. He was shortly thereafter outed, as the story did not check out and then claimed that he had a heart attack from all the stress being outed caused him. It was quite funny when his identity was determined and some of his real race results (like a 23:00 5K) were posted. Quite entertaining at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a chance to meet Tibbs a while back. He lives in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and tried to get a local ST gathering together, but everyone bailed at the last minute. I showed up with camera in hand to document the entire event (standard ST practice - it doesn't count unless there are pics). With his history on this forum, it would've been priceless to get his picture out here.

As it turned out, it was just me and him and we hung out for a while and I got a chance to meet a guy who'd gone through some significant personal stuff, but was pulling it together nicely. It's not my place to talk, so if he wants to disclose his history he can.

I decided against any photos. Didn't seem appropriate at the time.

From the stuff I've heard since tibbs 'officially' faded, he's on a good track to a better life. He needed it too.
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was mess, and some people here weren't insightful enough to notice that and enabled what seemed to be a terrible addiction to this place...
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [jarhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually Tibbs posted a picture of himself on ST one time. I was lucky enough to view it, and I don't know if it's still posted. It changed my life. I'll never forget that gut and balding head with the sweat and grease shing in the sunlight. He is immortilized in my brain in a way I would never recommend to anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [jarhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So did you got to see "THE P3" at least the last I heard he still had it. But it has been awhile.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [Babysitter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon is a very special man. Despite his demons, he was a gift from the universe for which I remain thankful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Sort of like alcohol...
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [Babysitter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like sex, drugs and Rock 'n' Roll...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They say this cat Tibbs is a bad mother
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
I'm talkin' 'bout Tibbs.
THEN WE CAN DIG IT!
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
team secondhand racing was supported by Record10. he busted his ass on the project, and many people received very good used parts that enabled them to build a better bike then what they had. it was a great effort, and Chip put a lot of heart and soul into it--he put his own money and parts into the project.
Last edited by: kittycat: Oct 3, 06 6:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, Tibbs somehow managed to benefit from a ST campaign where people chipped in enough money to buy a Cervelo--a P3. He got the bike, and nobody saw him on it, let alone a photo of the bike or anything. it was all weird, and there was some kind of blow up about it. i don't remember anymore about that. but, he got people to buy him a bike...he was pretty influential and had a great following around here.
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like a new cervelo...if everybody here sends just ONE dollar....I'd definitely post a picture of me on top of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to a thread started by "Hid" to sell Team Secondhand Racing (TSR) gear (June 2004). It also has some links to the threads where the idea to get Jon ("Tibbs") a bike started. Jon repeatedly said he didn't want people to go through the trouble, wondered why they were helping him out, and apparently got some hate mail from people about the whole project.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=142054;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;guest=9212429

One odd part of the story was that Hid raised the $2,000 that Gerard said would get a P3 then disappeared for a few months.
Last edited by: TriAlbany: Oct 3, 06 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I was reading those threads, the thought that kept coming back to me was "Why would anyone donate money so this character who spews out jibbersih-like responses could get a new bike?" Insanity

I now know how Jim Jones got everyone to drink the cool aid: A herd of sheep following the crowd, "Hmmm , I guess its cool to do if XXXXX thinks its cool"
Quote Reply
Re: "Muse, tell me of the man of many wiles..." I'd like to know the story of Tibbs [Floating Debris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"As I was reading those threads, the thought that kept coming back to me was "Why would anyone donate money so this character who spews out jibbersih-like responses could get a new bike?" Insanity

I now know how Jim Jones got everyone to drink the cool aid: A herd of sheep following the crowd, "Hmmm , I guess its cool to do if XXXXX thinks its cool" "
BELLS, WHISTLES, AND SIRENS GO OFF!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like our current Swimfan situation...Tibbs all over again. People had BETTER NOT be buying Swmfan a new bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next