Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [Fatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Better now though. Thanks for putting up with me.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [gctri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a subtle difference between being prepared and being paranoid.
You're in a new town, unsure of the weather, have no idea where the local bike/run/tri store is etc. I regularly take some extra stuff to races just in case.

I took everything I thought I'd need to the national track cycling champs this year. Including a spare bike.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other day I went running, and used a shoe horn to slip into my running shoes (that have yankz). A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

Next year, shoe horn goes in with the gear. the 2 ft long one that looks like a snake from Ikea ($1.00). I wear socks, so it's no problemo - but if I go sockless I'll have to lube it up.

I wish I was kidding.

Fortunately, I generally have very little in transition. Bike shoes, running shoes, number belt, wetsuit, goggles. Everything else is attached to the bike or at home.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was the Queen of over preparation when I started. Now, three years in, I'm reasonably minimal as to what I bring into transition.

As to the Ventolin inhaler, it's pretty key to know where that is. Having to dig through my bag for it in T1 at an early season duathlon two years ago added a good two minutes to my race time. The seriously dumb thing was I'd been wheezing all morning but didn't think to take anything until the starting gun went off. The joy of asthma, when it's acting up I really don't think straight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't really care who brings how much. More concerned about encroachment: Just because you think you can squeeze in between my bike and the next one (when there's clearly plenty of room 5 bikes away), doesn't mean you should.
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [sweddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Space is ALWAYS a luxury in Transition. I just keep it all to a medium Timbuk2 and am glad that I won't have to cry over my gear if it gets stepped on by the leadfoots next to me.

Slowtwitchers get 10% off cycle tours in Spain or Portugal. PM me or check http://www.cycling-centuries.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question...

Why the hell is that two or three times a week someone has to start a thread that whose sole purpose is to point out shortcomings in other peoples training, prep work, goals (ironman vs. sprint vs. ultra stair climbing vs. hotdog eating while riding a bike with no seat up a hill in a rainstorm) or who brings what to a fucking transition area.

Do you people have lives or are you just insecure nitwits?
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't Koz sell VIP rack locations at his races, like San Diego International?

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do, and I've done that. The main benefits to that program are:
You can check in on race morning instead of having to drive there the day before
You get a "special" rack that's reserved with your name where you rack your bike and it's still a little crowded, but not as bad as the other folks.
You get a 5-minute massage after the race at no extra charge.

Pretty good!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [sweddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually find myself talking with the guys with tons of stuff and asking if they need help thinking it though -- usually its a sign of stress or inexperience. As long as they stay within the confines of their space I'm OK with it. That said, at the GC we allow only helmet, glasses and shoes in the Transition area. Everything else goes in transition bags -- like IM. Even the year we had only one transtion area we still used the bag approach. It promotes organizing yourself before race day and a really well managed transition area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of those people. I always come over prepared; however, it has benefited me before. In my race bag I keep: 1 bag of rubberbands- various sizes, 6 pairs of goggles (2 metallic, 2 smoke, 1 clear, and at least 1 kids), all prior race swim caps (1 of each color), warm up shoes, race shoes, an extra tri suit, gels, cliff bars, cliff blocks, endurox, about 6 bottles of gatorade and water, fuel belt, speed suit, wetsuit, two helmets, extra clothes, towels, showering supplies, 2 body glides, sunscreen, post race snack, two race hats, sungalsses and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Fortunately when I am done setting up my transition area I only have my bike set up with shoes on it, transition towel, race shoes, fuel belt and hat left. If you ever forget something at a race- goggles, helmet, fuel, etc, let me know- I probably have it :)
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was going to look www.triathlondelinquents.com but figured with all the f bombs your dropping and your Im right your wrong attitude that website is already full of enough delinquents.

Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's okay! We're certainly not for everyone. But that's the beauty in individuality, right? Kinda like I would never want to be a firefighter, but recognize the need for them in society, and am thankful that there are folks that want to do it. Not my cup of tea though. And I'm thankful that I live in a country where I can drop f bombs without having to worry about offending other people. If i do, then so be it. I am also aware that this is a situational things, and I can't just drop them anywhere or anytime that I feel like it. You know, church, court, school, work, etc. Yup, I said church. Don't think I'm going to hell for saying fuck.

Who decided that it was such a bad word to begin with? Really? It rhymes with duck, luck, truck, suck, tuck, buck... lots of words have almost exactly the same sound. So why is fuck so bad?

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now why would you not want to run into a burning biulding when evryone else is running out? I personally cannot stand blood that is not my own or from my kids. Ahh not really blood dont bother me. remember when you do go to church they have a little thing called a confessional where you can tell the preist all your sin's and only have to say a few prayers and all will be absolved till next sunday. Being a FF I do not ever curse around the firehouse. Anyway cofee is where its ,at not "A cup tea" and to get back on the subject what about them fucking idiots that try to bring their whole family into transition.

Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [K Noonien Singh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
K Noonan - I think the original poster was just joking. It wasn't to put out shortcomings, but was a light hearted rant. Chill. And stop being such an insecure nitwit. :-P
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [gcgctri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will be no "chilling" for I am Kahn, a genetically engineered superior intellectual being. Wait until you see what I bring to my transition area.

And yes...my pecs are real, bitches.
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [K Noonien Singh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [kevinp01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NERD? Would a nerd drive Kirk to this when I pass him on the bike?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a super sprint(200 pool swim 8.5 b 2.5 run) and the guy next to me had enough stuff for three people. I made the joke about needing a uhaul and after talking to him, found out that it was his first race. I think I got him on the right track. I even got him to take off his race shirt until after the race. It is a little annoying when people hog all of the area and look at you like you're the moron when you ask them to move.

Disclaimer- I DID NOT make fun of the guy. Simply pointed out that there were 200 other people that needed to hang their bikes in limited space.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die.-Pre
Last edited by: wimaboju: Nov 19, 08 19:57
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm one of the dudes who takes 500 items into transition

I've gone the opposite way as I am a minimalist.

I make all my decisions before I leave the hotel/home to go to the event and have little extraneous stuff.

Bucket, towel, hat, extra clothing, etc. f-it. Mostly I attribute this to laziness as I hate to pick up all my crap after the race.

For IM I ride my bike back with all my gear to the hotel immediately following the race so everything has to fit within my transition backpack.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next