Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing
Quote | Reply
"Modern Triathlon" or "Triathle" is a sub-sport of Modern Pentathlon, an Olympic sport since 1912.

It is being promoted by UIPM, which is the international body behind the sport (just like ITU).

There are actually three sub-sports of Modern Pentathlon--Triathle, Biathle, and Laser-Run. (See my descriptions below for the gist of each one.)

I just got back from the UIPM Triathle / Biathle World Championships, which were held in St. Petersburg, FL, last weekend. I took my three kids there. We competed at the elite level for Team USA and had some incredible results! (See some awesome photos of the event here: https://www.uipmworld.org/photo-gallery.)

As many who know me from this forum know, I am a long-time aquathlete and triathlete, having competed at ITU Aquathlon Worlds in 2017, Ironman Lake Tahoe in 2013 (the first one), many half Ironman races, and all kinds of multi-sport races in between. Well, I have to say, I'm totally hooked on all of these new sub-sports of Modern Pentathlon.

The sub-sports consist of multiple sequences of swimming, running, and laser-pistol shooting. Think Biathlon (the winter Olympic sport that combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting), except at sprint (or middle) running distances and using a pistol instead of a rifle. Important note here: the pistol is basically a completely safe trigger-activated "class 1" laser (like a laser pointer) with a gun-shaped housing. This is a change that was made to the sport of Modern Pentathlon starting with the 2012 Olympic Games. (See, e.g., https://www.wired.com/...thlon-laser-pistols/.)

Biathle--multiple sequences of running and swimming, with distances varying by division (e.g., the masters 40+ division at the World Championship was a 1200-meter run, a 100-meter swim, and a 1200-meter run).

Triathle--multiple sequences of running, swimming, and laser pistol shooting, with distances of run, swim, and target varying by division (e.g., the masters 40+ division at the World Championships was 4 x 600-meter run, 5 hits at a 10-meter target, and a 100-meter swim).

Laser-Run--multiple sequences of running and laser-pistol shooting, with distances of run and target varying by division (e.g., the "open" division does 4 x 800 meters with 5 hits at a 10-meter target). Laser-Run is a stand-alone event, but it is also the "combined" event that concludes the competition of a Modern Pentathlon. It will likely next be seen and have international exposure at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

None of these sub-sports has gotten much traction in the U.S., but they seem to be getting more popular in other countries. There were about 600 participants at the World Championships, but very few from the U.S.! At the World Championships, the dominant countries included Great Britain, Egypt, Guatamala, and South Africa. There were 34 countries represented.

Which brings me to one of the reasons I'm making this post. I'm putting together an unusual multi-sport event that will be held at Westmont High School in Campbell, CA, on November 24, 2019 (three weeks from today). It's going to be a combined all-comer track meet and laser-run, sponsored by my running club (Wolfpack Running Club, a non-profit organization). The track events will be sanctioned by USATF and the laser-run events will be sanctioned by USA Pentathlon. (See http://www.dashnzap.com.)

I really want to make this event a success and would greatly appreciate it if you could help me get the word out. Before you know it, Modern Triathlon might just take the place of the ancient triathlon we have been discussing ad naseum on this forum for years . . . ;)

K_Man
Last edited by: K_Man: Nov 3, 19 22:14
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [K_Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like they need to change the name to prevent confusion, just like run-bike-run "biathlons" needed to become duathlons. Triathlon is such a new sport that "modern triathlon" makes no sense.

Might head down the peninsula for the event on the 24th. My question is for the uninitiated how do we train the laser tag part?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Seems like they need to change the name to prevent confusion, just like run-bike-run "biathlons" needed to become duathlons. Triathlon is such a new sport that "modern triathlon" makes no sense.

Might head down the peninsula for the event on the 24th. My question is for the uninitiated how do we train the laser tag part?

The best way to train for the laser pistol shooting is to buy your own gun and target set (~$800). There are a couple of U.S. dealers out there selling UIPM-certified pistols, including pistols from Eco-Aims and Pentashot. However, given that few people own their own pistols, USA Pentathlon has generously agreed to lend me some of theirs for my event. There will be about an hour to try the pistols out on the laser range before the races start. Also, you'll get about 5-10 minutes before your race to warm up on the laser range.

Another important note: You get to go at 50 seconds even if you can't clear the targets. In my first real competition and in many of my first practice competitions, I was not able to get five hits in any of my rounds. As a beginner, you can think of the races as an interval speed-work session with 50 seconds of rest in between intervals. If you happen to clear the targets, that's just bonus time!

K_Man
Last edited by: K_Man: Nov 3, 19 22:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see the Thai Modern Pentathlon Development Team in our village in Thailand sometimes hanging out with the triathletes so they can learn to swim.The South East Asian Games are on next month in the Philippines and they had their test event recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kUT-VFyb4E
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
I see the Thai Modern Pentathlon Development Team in our village in Thailand sometimes hanging out with the triathletes so they can learn to swim.The South East Asian Games are on next month in the Philippines and they had their test event recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kUT-VFyb4E

Awesome!

Yes, there does appear to be a lot of crossover potential between Triathlon and Modern Pentathlon.

The Thai team had some great performers at the World Championships!

Biathle is basically the same thing as a Super Sprint Aquathlon.

And the U.S. Olympic Training Center recruits people based on a combination of their run and swim times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was still in California, I would be at your event! I have talked with others in my area about the desire to put on a similar type event, except we would use regular firearms. Never thought of the laser side of things. These sound really cool.
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few of my St Pete Mad Dog Triathlete Club mates entered the event at the last minute. They say they had a lot of fun, learned some new skills and walked away with Gold Medals.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
If I was still in California, I would be at your event! I have talked with others in my area about the desire to put on a similar type event, except we would use regular firearms. Never thought of the laser side of things. These sound really cool.

Yeah, it is really cool and I don't understand why it hasn't taken off already! The events at the World Championships were very exciting to watch. The format is spectator friendly--you can stand in one spot and see the whole competition develop.
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
A few of my St Pete Mad Dog Triathlete Club mates entered the event at the last minute. They say they had a lot of fun, learned some new skills and walked away with Gold Medals.

Yes, my Triathle 40+ masters heat had one of them!

Team USA hauled in 21 medals at the event (see summary here), but easily could've won a lot more with increased participation across the divisions. The Great Britain team had about 30 kids competing in the younger divisions plus masters across the entire spectrum to 70+. Needless to say, they were on the podium a lot!

The opportunities are enormous in this sport for people of all ages. (The same could be said for USA Aquathlon, which is a sub-sport of Triathlon.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like they are taking some big assumptions saying there is actually a swim in all these events. 100 meters, really? Looks like you shoot, run, or whatever, then do a quick cool down and shower. I would suppose the transition is more important from any of the events to the tiny swim than the swim itself..

Now if it were 300 meters, then is might be worth getting wet for...
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:

I live in Tampa and never even heard of this. There wasn't boo said about it on social media, especially since everyone was at IM Florida this past weekend. It sounds like there might be a 100 athletes in the entire world doing this form of triathlon ... a niche within a niche within a niche.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
K_Man wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:

Yeah, it is really cool and I don't understand why it hasn't taken off already! The events at the World Championships were very exciting to watch. The format is spectator friendly--you can stand in one spot and see the whole competition develop.

Probably because most of us have never heard of it before and I live an hour from St Pete

Agree with above have to change the name

Probably would have been a good idea to post this before the race in FL
Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 4, 19 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Seems like they are taking some big assumptions saying there is actually a swim in all these events. 100 meters, really? Looks like you shoot, run, or whatever, then do a quick cool down and shower. I would suppose the transition is more important from any of the events to the tiny swim than the swim itself..

Have to go with Monty on this one

100 meters is too little
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
monty wrote:

Have to go with Monty on this one

100 meters is too little

Agreed, but remember this is multiple sequences (up to four, depending on division) of sprint/middle-distance racing. Ideally I would like to see 100 meters of swimming for every 400 meters of running. The masters 40+ Triathle event was almost exactly that, except with 600 meters of running per sequence.

Transitions were not much of a differentiating factor. Just slip your shoes off, swim, and slip your shoes back on.
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
K_Man wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:

Probably because most of us have never heard of it before and I live an hour from St Pete

Agree with above have to change the name

Probably would have been a good idea to post this before the race in FL

It would seem there is not enough coordination between USA Pentathlon and USA Triathlon. It is unbelievable that not many triathletes in St. Pete knew this event was happening.
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Fuller wrote:

I live in Tampa and never even heard of this. There wasn't boo said about it on social media, especially since everyone was at IM Florida this past weekend. It sounds like there might be a 100 athletes in the entire world doing this form of triathlon ... a niche within a niche within a niche.

Haha. Yes, but that can change. I think it should.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This actually sounds pretty cool.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally had a chance to upload a video from the start of the Triathle Men Masters 40+/50+ finals from last weekend's 2019 UIPM Biathle / Triathle World Championships:

The video shows the first of four run-shoot-run-swim-run sequences comprising the event.

The swim is more impactful that you might expect, given its short distance relative to typical triathlon distances.

The format of the race is pretty exciting. What do you think?

FYI, that's Dan Browne of Team USA doing the announcing for the race.
Last edited by: K_Man: Nov 6, 19 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry to bump my own post once again, but I wanted to bring some last-minute attention to my laser-run event that is coming up on Sunday, 11/24, in Campbell, CA.

In addition to being a sanctioned USATF event, it's also an official USA-Pentathlon-sanctioned event that is listed on the Team USA calendar.

This will be the first time a laser run event has ever been held in the San Francisco Bay Area. And hopefully not the last time!

For more information, see the Team USA calendar entry:

https://www.teamusa.org/...thlon-Club-Laser-Run

I hope to see some of you there!

K_Man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least you got a few more replies than I....

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=triathle#p7069801
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
At least you got a few more replies than I....

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=triathle#p7069801

Haha! Well, I missed your post or I would've commented!

Yes, there is huge potential for crossover between triathlon and the three major sub-sports of Modern Pentathlon.
Last edited by: K_Man: Nov 18, 19 23:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 10 year old daughter currently fences, is on swim team, does cross country and trail running and she just started taking riding lessons.......hmmmmmmmm.........all she has to do is learn how to shoot a lazer gun........
Last edited by: Steve-oH!: Nov 19, 19 4:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who actually follows Modern Pentathlon (yes, I actually do....) I have to agree with Monty. It bizarre to me that the swim distances in Biathle and Triathle are so short....talk about the swim not getting its fair share in Triathlon, its worse in these sports.....

Here are some random notes and observations about the ever involving Modern Pentathlon format (not sure anyone will really care but here goes....)

-A few years back they deemphazised the swim in MP by giving less points for the swim time differential between competitors....formerly, if you beat your competitor in the swim by a second in the 200 meter swim that woulld translate to a 3 second "head start" in the handicapped pusuit start in the Laser run (run/shoot) final event. Now you only get roughly 2 seconds "head start". The stated reason for this change, as best I could glean from the press releases from the governing body was that many developing countries did not have access to pools like more developed contries.

-In the current format in MP the Fencing has the largest impact on total point score and final results. Its much better to have a good Fence segment and mediocre swim than it is to have a mediocre Fencing segment and a good swim.

-The Triathle and Biathle formats deemphasize the swim even more (as Monty rightly pointed out)....the events are run centric to the extreme. I am assuming the govening body set these un balanced distances because any one can run where you are at but you may not have pool access.

-The Governing body (UIPM) just approved a new format for a youth/junior event that they are likely testing for possibility of introducing into MP. The Youth events (under junior level) for Modern Pentathlon do not include the riding segment (show jumping on a horse) due to safety reasons and the difficulty of training on a horse for sub junior youth. In recent years that means that MP athletes under the Junior level compete in Tetrathlon (Fence, Swim, Lazer Run). The new format will see the competitors Fencing...and then doing a Triathle (a continous shoot, swim run) I assume they would have a pursuit start based on their Fencing results and the first across the line would be the over all winner. I would hope that in this format they would lengthen the swim to make it more than a bath inbetween runs, otherwise its sems a bit foolish to deemphasise the swim even more.

I would look for a possibility that in the future the Modern Pentathlon would be formatted as such: Fencing round robin, show jumping on horse, and then a continuous shoot/swim/run in pursuit style based on the results of the fence and ride segments.

This is being done primarily to increase the sports TV/spectator appeal.....one of the major reasons why the seperate shoot and run was combined back in the 2000's.

Like all significant changes in sports to a more TV friendly format I suspect it will be met with some resistance and I am not sure where this will all end up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
As someone who actually follows Modern Pentathlon (yes, I actually do....) I have to agree with Monty. It bizarre to me that the swim distances in Biathle and Triathle are so short....talk about the swim not getting its fair share in Triathlon, its worse in these sports.....

Here are some random notes and observations about the ever involving Modern Pentathlon format (not sure anyone will really care but here goes....)

-A few years back they deemphazised the swim in MP by giving less points for the swim time differential between competitors....formerly, if you beat your competitor in the swim by a second in the 200 meter swim that woulld translate to a 3 second "head start" in the handicapped pusuit start in the Laser run (run/shoot) final event. Now you only get roughly 2 seconds "head start". The stated reason for this change, as best I could glean from the press releases from the governing body was that many developing countries did not have access to pools like more developed contries.

-In the current format in MP the Fencing has the largest impact on total point score and final results. Its much better to have a good Fence segment and mediocre swim than it is to have a mediocre Fencing segment and a good swim.

-The Triathle and Biathle formats deemphasize the swim even more (as Monty rightly pointed out)....the events are run centric to the extreme. I am assuming the govening body set these un balanced distances because any one can run where you are at but you may not have pool access.

-The Governing body (UIPM) just approved a new format for a youth/junior event that they are likely testing for possibility of introducing into MP. The Youth events (under junior level) for Modern Pentathlon do not include the riding segment (show jumping on a horse) due to safety reasons and the difficulty of training on a horse for sub junior youth. In recent years that means that MP athletes under the Junior level compete in Tetrathlon (Fence, Swim, Lazer Run). The new format will see the competitors Fencing...and then doing a Triathle (a continous shoot, swim run) I assume they would have a pursuit start based on their Fencing results and the first across the line would be the over all winner. I would hope that in this format they would lengthen the swim to make it more than a bath inbetween runs, otherwise its sems a bit foolish to deemphasise the swim even more.

I would look for a possibility that in the future the Modern Pentathlon would be formatted as such: Fencing round robin, show jumping on horse, and then a continuous shoot/swim/run in pursuit style based on the results of the fence and ride segments.

This is being done primarily to increase the sports TV/spectator appeal.....one of the major reasons why the seperate shoot and run was combined back in the 2000's.

Like all significant changes in sports to a more TV friendly format I suspect it will be met with some resistance and I am not sure where this will all end up.

Yes, I think you are correct in your assessment of where the sport is headed. I do hope the swim gets a little bit more emphasis. However, I believe triathlon is also unbalanced. As some have said, it's a bike race with a swim warmup and a run cooldown. The even ratio would be 1:4 in swimming to running. I did not know about the adjusting of the scoring that resulted in the swim having less emphasis than before. That's interesting.

I do like that the sport focuses on middle distances (i.e., 4 x 800 run and 200-meter swim) instead of the long distances of triathlon. I also think the Triathle format is more exciting than triathlon for both participants and spectators.
Last edited by: K_Man: Nov 19, 19 19:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
My 10 year old daughter currently fences, is on swim team, does cross country and trail running and she just started taking riding lessons.......hmmmmmmmm.........all she has to do is learn how to shoot a lazer gun........

That's the easiest part in my opinion!
Quote Reply

Prev Next