Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Man, I am surprised it took you 21 posts to figure it out. Smile

But, you are 100% dead on. Too bad, there are lots of great down to earth folks in our sport.

Dave
Haha. Pretty raw thread here. And I thought I'd seen nasty...!

I really value the great people I've met, whether talented or struggling, trim or large. This sport can bring out the awesome as well as the ugly out of people. And that's why I do triathlons.

-------------------------------
"tri" is not a verb!
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [minan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right. As long as your acknowledge youre a jackass hypocrite labeling an entire sport(now you say "some") thats fine. Youre no different from the "toxic thinking triathletes". Theres nothing special about a fat person working out. In fact i say its not as impressive as someone whos been doing it day in and day out for years. The pointy end of the field in triathlons is very competitive fyi, if you spent some time there you might notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always smile when the attacks start when some reads posts and ALWAYS find ways to read them in a negative
way. They must be fun to live with. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [omoore61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a "jackass hypocrite" as you say. I love triathlons. But, some triathletes need to get a fucking life. And you're just pissed because clearly, you are one of them.

"tri" is not a verb!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lesson 1 for ST, ignore these type of comments!!!

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who was pouting while someone was sharing with the tri team about the inspiration they had to raise money for a charity, thinking that person was totally insincere. It was someone she felt competitive with. Then she cried for days when that same person kicked her ass in the race. It was pathetic. Boy was she hard to live with.

"tri" is not a verb!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen.

It never ceases to amaze how many triathletes think they are the end all, be all when it comes to fitness. I would bet that most of us got into this sport with a public goal of "being healthy" and a private goal of looking good naked.

Looking around on race day, and I include myself here, most of us are failing miserably on the private goal.

The Outdoor Journey: latest article - Profile of SlowTwitcher: Dr. Jodi Thomson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It must be nice the fairy tale world you live in, you claim to be understanding and accepting of all yet in the drinking thread you talk about the reason you dont drink is because youre not like everyone else "drinking to fit in". Biggest hypocrite on this forum, get off your high horse youre nothing but mediocre.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always said I was BOP, so there is no horse to get on. Smile

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You obviously didnt read the thread, i dont care about triathlon participants or what size or shape they race in. I think its ridiculous, however, when people like to pretend they are neutral or unbiased but throw some lame ass slam in at the end of their posts. If you feel a certain way, just say it. Dont dance around it and then say "no wonder....". H20fun seems to do that on a regular basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago I asked if I was a triathlete. They said NO. I was swimming, running and biking regularly. maybe even more than an average triathlete. I didn't understand. A person who runs is a runner. A person who bikes is a biker. A person who swims is a swimmer. Why not a triathlete for someone who does all? They said because I didn't do any races yet.
Today I look around during race, and see almost half of the field is not racing. They have paid their fee, started but walking, chatting carrying a phone or camera or ipod. Some stop on the bike and talk strech kiss family member. They are out there, god knows they are having fun but it is not racing. Call it whatever you want, participating maybe but not racing. So I guess the definition of a triathlete has changed. (This comment is nothing to do with weight! just for your "competitive" sport comment)

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have learned in triathlon not to judge how fast women are by how they look. Yes, the elites have very low body fat etc. However, i am just over 5'9" and 140-141 lbs, and at powerman ohio this fall, a girl with thighs that were almost twice as big as mine finished significantly ahead of me, on a duathlon course with a very hilly run. on the other side, there have been women that are really small/thin that i were sure would beat me and didn't.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Years ago I asked if I was a triathlete. They said NO. I was swimming, running and biking regularly. maybe even more than an average triathlete. I didn't understand. A person who runs is a runner. A person who bikes is a biker. A person who swims is a swimmer. Why not a triathlete for someone who does all? They said because I didn't do any races yet.
Today I look around during race, and see almost half of the field is not racing. They have paid their fee, started but walking, chatting carrying a phone or camera or ipod. Some stop on the bike and talk strech kiss family member. They are out there, god knows they are having fun but it is not racing. Call it whatever you want, participating maybe but not racing. So I guess the definition of a triathlete has changed. (This comment is nothing to do with weight! just for your "competitive" sport comment)

Well said,I give props to anyone out there participating but there are not many people out there actually racing(Ironman that is)As for the overweight people competing,I say good on ya!It is a brave thing to front up in transition and face all those skinny greyhounds when you look like a lycra sausage.You just never know were a person is in their life so please ,all of you,think hard before making fun of the wobbly person next to you at the bike racks.One thing though,can all the fat guys please stop wearing speedos'?It just 'aint right! ;)
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Jan 29, 08 19:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silly me, mustve been someone else :)
Quote:
" Yep, fully agree with you. But, it is a question I have heard at races for the last ten years.
10 years ago I was on the BOP side of the fence and thought some of the FOP should not be racing
as AGers. Now that I am more of a FOP person, I have given it some thought that folks like me
should really be racing in some field type other than AGer, IMO. But, since there is not a USAT process for this,
I can only race what types are given.

Dave "
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=fop;#1647391
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=fop;#1539546
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=fop;#1559147
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=fop;#1577252
Last edited by: omoore61: Jan 29, 08 19:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Sure they're racing: They're racing the clock. At the extreme BOP, the question is "Can I finish while the finish line is still open?" ;-)

Of course, I think those you have described should be DQed because using an ipod during a race is against the rules, but that belongs in the "Participants who refuse to follow the rules shouldn't be participating" topic...

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [NextMerckx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"Is that the same point at which women stop having their period as well? Maybe I don't have enough a background in endocrinology, but I think when your body halts one of its regular processes, that's time to reconsider what you're doing."

--------------------------

from my research and talks with doctors (i have had problems with this myself) it is more the lack of food, than the training. Many elite female athletes that are lean from training, but still eat a heathy amount of food to support their training, and are usually ok. you better belive chrissy wouldn't have won the ironman if she had eating issues. It is usually the women who are just shy of elite, and think (or are told) that if they lose 5,10,15 lbs they can GET to that level, that have the issues. they are thin because they aren't eating enough for their training, and that is where the mensteural problems start. also know, that going without a period for 3+months is usually treated aggressively by doctors because of the risks involved -think hormone injections (NOT fun) and being put on the pill.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a lycra sausage. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn, so much anger. it's a little weird.
i never claimed to be unbiased.

"tri" is not a verb!
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But when you have major races now saying yes please do not use the Ipods since it is against the rules,
but we will not enforce the rule, what message does this give? I wonder if Boston will enforce the rule this year?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I do agree that Ironman isn't a diet..i agree and say it is dangerous......but overweight or obese participants should be encouraged to take part in shorter distances...
I don't understand why people are so offended that heavy people are participating in a sport and making changes to their lifestyles. Instead, we should encourage it and make sure they start right - share tips, knowledge and encourage.
One of my favorite people is an obese woman who started losing a lot of weight training for her first triathlon. And she's continuing to train. She has the best personality and really inspired those who trained with her. I am happy to see "meaty" people out exercising, because at least they have one part of the equation, even if they are still eating a lot. It's progress.

The number of toxic people and their comments on this thread is pretty disturbing. I see nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments and even being a little elitist. But the degree to which some of you are worrying about others' bodies, others' perception of the sport, etc. - god, get a life! Or move on to a more "competitive" sport. No wonder single sporters, bike racers, etc. think triathletes are so pathetic. After reading this thread, I think it's kind of true. Thanks for the inspiration.

The quoted poster is talking about Ironman, not triathlon in general. Most sports med doctors don't recommend a marathon to those who can't finish in sub 4:30...it's too taxing on the body to go much longer. Ironman, for even a REALLY fit individual, is nearly twice that long. For anyone not in prime physical shape, I think triathlon is wonderful, but Ironman should absolutely never be considered. It's dangerous. The human body hasn't been designed for that kind of exertion, and it takes near excessive amounts of training to properly cope. Anything less (and you could make a case for this applying to the elite athletes) and it's too great a stress for the body.

No need to get all defensive because one person said IM should be for the very top athletes. All Ironmen are triathletes, but not all triathletes are Ironmen.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [NextMerckx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you in terms of IM but a lot of the comments in this thread seemed targeted to "meaty" people doing not just IM but triathlons in general.

"tri" is not a verb!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I wasn't sure at first what your point was but now I think I do...
I understand that there are people who compete in the race, whether or not it's IM, and there are people who don't. I don't see any point in bashing the people who are there to participate and finish more than race. I just don't care. I find it inspiring seeing people who are out of shape attempting to any activity at all, more, a triathlon.

But I know there are lots of people who don't agree with that, and are clearly bent out of shape at the perception of triathlon, so I'm just saying, if it matters that much to you, then get involved in a sport that makes no bones about being elitist, like road cycling, running, etc. - that's what I mean by more "competitive" sports.

I just think it's a waste of energy to be soooo freaking angry about the issue of triathlon's perception. It is what it is. My bike racing teammates who have never done triathlons often bash triathletes in front of me. I just say "if you did triathlons, you wouldn't be saying those things. and you know what, triathlons are fun and you are totally missing out." And I truly believe that. I just don't care that much about what other athletes think because they really have no idea.

Plus, there's plenty of opportunity to be elite and competitive in triathlon. If there were not, then I would understand the anger. But there is, so I don't get it. Save your anger for something more worthy or see a therapist. Life's too short to worry about that shit. When I say "get a life," I really mean that - find a life where things like how fat people are, how people view tri, etc etc that don't matter. That's a life worth living.

"tri" is not a verb!
Quote Reply

Prev Next