Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've been out of the 7th grade for far too long to give a rat's ass what Joe Public thinks of my accomplishments.

What I don't get is when did it become "everyone" can do an IM or marathon or whatever? 5 hours on the bike butt early on a Saturday morning takes a special person. This has very little to do with what size jeans you wear.
Hi kblahetka.

• Maybe I've got it wrong, maybe I'm naive, but I think many (most?) triathletes do care, to one extent or another what other people think of their accomplishments. After all, modern North American culture is based on judging other people's accomplishments and behaviours (cult of celebrity) and so, being concerned about how others perceive your actions are of importance.
  • Your second point is well taken. In truth, it does take a minimal amount of commitment to be able to complete a marathon, let alone an Ironman but after looking at this picture, then again, maybe not =-)
  • http://www.atwillett.com/marathon_photos/start_nyc_marathon_vertical.jpg

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But (of course I give in)....I know a few people who refuse to lose weight so they can stay in the Clyd/Athena groups...they have great pride in a BOP time...and an instant weight excuse for their time...
I'm one of those people. I have some weight to lose, but it's only about 20 lbs. That 20 lbs. puts me at around 190-195. Why wouldn't I keep an extra 5 on and race with the other guys who are built like me instead of the Levi Leipheimer types who are in my AG? It's hardly a level playing field, particularly in running.

My times aren't BOP at all. Even in cycling races where weight matters much more, I'm MOP.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
14% body fat is too low for estrogen production. Might be fine for your racing, but I hope if you are advising people you would not be telling women to aim for that. This is not just a reproduction issue (though certainly that could be affected) but adversely affects bone density.

Not everyone out racing is out to be elite.

If someone is out there training then they have already achieved a better fitness level than the majority of Americans. Most runners DO look too scrawny!

Is that the same point at which women stop having their period as well? Maybe I don't have enough a background in endocrinology, but I think when your body halts one of its regular processes, that's time to reconsider what you're doing.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [NextMerckx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The general consensus is that women should keep their body fat above 14% to maintain healthy levels of hormones and yes, continue to menstruate regularly. However, it is quite common for elite female athletes to be around 12% body fat.The direct relationship between fat and healthy ovulatory cycles is still being researched. Some researchers believe that fat itself is the trigger, with hormone production shutting down when body fat is too low, others believe that fat loss is just another variable happening concurrently with hormone production changes. Whatever the reasons, it is an important consideration for female athletes.

It is quite common for elite female athletes to be around 12% body fat.

One important thing to keep in mind with this whole body fat discussion is how variable the measurements can be. If you are using a scale, you are probably a couple % points above what it says. If you've had a pinch test you can't compare it to other individual's body fat percentages, you are only supposed to compare it to later pinch tests that you have done on yourself (again because of error). Body fat measurements are not taken to compare to other individual's body fat, as there are so many imporant variables involved that cause fluctuation. You take these measurements to monitor your own fat gain/loss.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [slowtrier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops I posted the thing about elite athletes twice. Sorry. I wasn't trying to drive home a point.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I've been out of the 7th grade for far too long to give a rat's ass what Joe Public thinks of my accomplishments.

What I don't get is when did it become "everyone" can do an IM or marathon or whatever? 5 hours on the bike butt early on a Saturday morning takes a special person. This has very little to do with what size jeans you wear.
Hi kblahetka.

• Maybe I've got it wrong, maybe I'm naive, but I think many (most?) triathletes do care, to one extent or another what other people think of their accomplishments. After all, modern North American culture is based on judging other people's accomplishments and behaviours (cult of celebrity) and so, being concerned about how others perceive your actions are of importance.
  • Your second point is well taken. In truth, it does take a minimal amount of commitment to be able to complete a marathon, let alone an Ironman but after looking at this picture, then again, maybe not =-)
  • http://www.atwillett.com/marathon_photos/start_nyc_marathon_vertical.jpg

You're looking at it all wrong. Most of Amercia isn't up runninng at 5am before work in the cold. Most of America isn't willing to spend the large sums of money that most people here do on a sport that they will never suceed in at a pro level. Sure the field at NYC or the Chicago marathons are jam packed, but it really is a small percentage of the population.

I'm not by any means a gifted athlete. 5 years ago I weighed over 400 pounds. I've lost a lot and I'm sure I could stand to lose more. I've also got a crap load of loose mushy skin that my doctor feels won't go away without surgery. As I got into shape I did a 5k. At 310 pounds a 5k was insane. I did a marathon last year and I don't think I was nearly as sore as I was after that first 5k despite my marathon pace being faster. I'm sure there were plenty of people feeling better about themselves at my expense that day and honestly I could care less. I belonged out there, it was a pretty important step in changing my life.

It's been a few years sisnce that first 5k. I don't have a super lean body. I usually finish somewhere around the MOP. I'm happy with that. My fitness base was build running but I'm finding that I'm strongest on the bike. My swim form is getting better. I just bought a bicycle that cost more than my first car. I'm well aware of what I could be doing with my spare time and I'm also aware of what example I'm setting for my kids. They say obesity is a cycle, well if that's so I'm breaking the cycle.

So why am I telling you all this? The next time you're at a race and you see the big fat guy or gal you need to keep in mind that they are doing thier thing. Building their own set of accomplishments. They're not out there to steel from you or anybody else.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [NextMerckx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when women stop menstruating is not necessarily directly related to fat percentage - it is partly stress on the body - so some women will stop menstruating at higher body fat and some lower.
I specifically did not mention menstrual cycles because of that. the stress of training and racing alone can throw cycles off - plus travel.....

I am more concerned with long term affects - for AG athletes - who are NOT doing this as a career - you should be concerned with long term effects like bone health.

Some women will be able to get pregnant with very low body fat - and some women can run marathons whilst pregnant. Most cannot do either. Fertility is affected long before the lost of menses - which makes sense on a teleological level - if the organism is stressed the first thing to go is reproduction.

There is data to suggest that it may be a weight issues rather than body fat in terms of menstruation. More consistent data exists for bone health in the long run. So just as anabolic steroids adversely affect bone health so does body fat percentage below 15%. And those women will think they are fine - until they are in their 50s or so.

In the end of this discussion - have fun, stay safe and remember why you are doing this.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow keep up the good work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice post, too many people make assumptions about where we've come from and instead judge us on a moment in time.

There's another thread here where Devashish Paul explains his commitment to family life and work "prevents" him from going sub-10 in Ironman. I would say he's doing his best and enjoying what he's got.

People want lean and fast triathletes? Then go join the Olympic team. Let us "triathloners" enjoy our training and our races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is just super!
amazing!
You mention most of america does not get up at 5 am to run,etc. So true. Keep in mind that 'we' have a different perspective and so what we'd call 'meaty' is actually 'normal' compared to the rest of the country.
Sometimes I do wonder why people seem to 'use' ironman as a sort of weight loss program. This does kinda disturb me as I don't think it is the best way to lose weight! I really think you should have been doing tris and be close to a good weight before trying Im training as it is demanding and it is hard to eat well and train at the same time, you have to get in the right nutrition and someone who is quite overweight already has a lot to deal with besides the IM training. It is hard enough to be disciplined in training without adding the stress of trying to 'diet' also. There is a thread here right now I find kinda disturbing about someone who wants to use Nutrisystem, as I think 60 pounds to lose, and oh yea btw is doing first IM this year! wtf??? Ok to each their own, what do I care. blah blah but sometimes I have to admit that rather than thinking "wow good for you!" when I see an obese ( and I am talking OBESE not just meaty) attempting ( I have never seen an obese person cross the line but I have seen many at ironmans, all stopping and different points) IM, I think: "wtf are you thinking?" So dangerous, and not a good weight loss program...and would set someone up for disppointment.....Ironman isnt a diet.
Last edited by: dyl: Jan 28, 08 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [dyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree IM shouldn't be a weight loss program at all. When you start looking for ways to eat while biking you can't really be thinking about shedding pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just look the other way when I come lumbering over the finish line in 16:59:59, my good friend. have a lovely day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Puleeze...maybe fat=dead weight on the elite circuit, but not for most age groupers.

I'm 5'6" and 145 lbs....does that make me meaty? At size 4-6, I don't think so. Muscular, certainly, and proud of it. Athletes who obsess about weight alone are not thinking of the whole picture. Me and most of my girlfriend triathletes who weigh more than, i.e., Emma Snowsill are proud to show off their fit a** and bigger assets.
Last edited by: ONYRLFT: Jan 28, 08 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [ONYRLFT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Me and most of my girlfriend triathletes who weigh more than, i.e., Emma Snowsill are proud to show off their fit a** and bigger assets.
Can I see????? :)

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [PNWTSUT13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps this offseason, you can work on your tact. It wasn't what you said, its how you said it. It was offensive.

Congrats on leaning yourself out, but who is to say that in 2 or 3 years those so-called "Fat Triathletes" aren't going to do the same. They deserve at least some respect for going out there and trying.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy Crap! That thing looks like Michael Jackson with his head stuck in one of those card board photo props!!

Azby
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am always confused why "heavier" people always use triathlons as thier goal. I have triathlon set as an auto record key word on TiVo and it seems every week I am deleting an episode of the biggest loser or some show where a fat person wants to lose weight show because their goal is a triathlon.

OK, I'll bite. When I was obese (by the medical definition), I used triathlon (sprint distance) as my goal because it was something above my ability level at which I had a decent chance of success if I worked my tail end off, and a real chance of failure if I didn't. In a discussion at Weight Watchers, I referred to this as "using a credit card to buy motivation to exercise" -- I didn't want to DNF or forfeit the $$ I'd spent on my entry fee. Triathlon also sounded interesting: I loved to swim, I liked biking, and I could walk 5K relatively quickly.

My doctor and I discussed triathlon before I started training, and she recommended I do a 5K instead. I explained that I probably wouldn't train consistently for a 5K because there was not a question about whether I could finish the distance before the finish line closed. Almost anybody can finish a 5K, even if they have to walk, and I sometimes pass joggers when I'm walking.

By Race Day, my BMI was low enough that I was no longer overweight, and the next time I saw my doctor, she conveniently forgot her recommendation about the 5K.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Is that a bulge that I see down there???????

Yes, it's called a penoris. (from large doses of Test)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do agree that Ironman isn't a diet..i agree and say it is dangerous......but overweight or obese participants should be encouraged to take part in shorter distances...
I don't understand why people are so offended that heavy people are participating in a sport and making changes to their lifestyles. Instead, we should encourage it and make sure they start right - share tips, knowledge and encourage.

If you take as an example, Disney Land altering one of their rides to accommodate larger riders, we can agree to say that obesity in the USA and Canada is becoming a pressing issue. So why knock on people who are trying? Makes some of you seem like a bunch of haters -----> NOT A GOOD IMAGE FOR THE SPORT.

but to refer to the original thread that started this discussion - meat is muscle...so call me meaty any day..a healthy body isn't consisted of skin and bones.....a fit and athletic body is so much better....
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [SBR613] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what he means!

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to check the "Commentary: Extra seats for the obese" under http://www.cbc.ca/22minutes/ (Canadian TV show "This hour has 22 minutes)!
It is the 8th clip.

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [SBR613] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I do agree that Ironman isn't a diet..i agree and say it is dangerous......but overweight or obese participants should be encouraged to take part in shorter distances...
I don't understand why people are so offended that heavy people are participating in a sport and making changes to their lifestyles. Instead, we should encourage it and make sure they start right - share tips, knowledge and encourage.
One of my favorite people is an obese woman who started losing a lot of weight training for her first triathlon. And she's continuing to train. She has the best personality and really inspired those who trained with her. I am happy to see "meaty" people out exercising, because at least they have one part of the equation, even if they are still eating a lot. It's progress.

The number of toxic people and their comments on this thread is pretty disturbing. I see nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments and even being a little elitist. But the degree to which some of you are worrying about others' bodies, others' perception of the sport, etc. - god, get a life! Or move on to a more "competitive" sport. No wonder single sporters, bike racers, etc. think triathletes are so pathetic. After reading this thread, I think it's kind of true. Thanks for the inspiration.

-------------------------------
"tri" is not a verb!
Last edited by: minan: Jan 29, 08 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [minan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You trash people who judge other peoples bodies, telling them to get a life. Yet at the end you throw out, how single sporters judge participants of triathlon and you can see where they're coming from. Too funny.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [minan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I am surprised it took you 21 posts to figure it out. Smile

But, you are 100% dead on. Too bad, there are lots of great down to earth folks in our sport.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [omoore61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, hilarious. I have no problem judging some triathletes on their toxic way of thinking. Get a life !!!

-------------------------------
"tri" is not a verb!
Last edited by: minan: Jan 29, 08 13:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next