Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [PNWTSUT13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dude, if you take anything said in this thread personally, good chance you probably can get a bit leaner. This will always be an ongoing debate- you know if you could lose some weight, and without getting too personal... I mean, can you stand to lose 10 lbs? 20% body fat is not THAT lean...
Oh, don't worry, I'm not taking it personally, this idea of yours that we should all label or introduce ourselves appropriately with terms such as "FAT TRIATHLETE" so that we're not (gasp!) lumped into the same group as an elite triathlete such as yourself. Not at all. I'm just laughing at you. Dude.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emarald and Gazele got it right.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the only reason you do triathlon to make others think you are special?

They might think you are special if you win. And the more "meaty" people that are out there there better shot you have at winning. If you only allow skinny elites to compete, then fat chance you have of winning...

I say good for them for getting out there - that's better than most Americans can/will do. A triathlete is not a higher being, we are all human. Heck, even elite triathletes are human. I guess I am one of those skinny almost-elites and I say let 'em race. Its a great lifestyle. It would be good for most everyone if more people would get off that couch and be healthier. Triathlon is just one of many ways to do that. However, if some not-so-lean aspiring meets attitudes like that, then the sport is hardly going to grow. I've certainly been beaten with people of a much higher BMI, especially early in my tri career (when I was even skinnier).

I don't need everyone around me to think I'm special because I do triathlons. Its how I feel about triathlons, not how everyone else feels about me doing triathlons, that's special.

"When the going gets tough, get going!"
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [catwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't need everyone around me to think I'm special because I do triathlons. Its how I feel about triathlons, not how everyone else feels about me doing triathlons, that's special."

Excellent choice of words.

Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [PNWTSUT13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
70% of triathletes (and I am just estimating here) can lose 10-15 lbs, and would probably be better for it. Endurance training is not for FAT LOSS. You think just because you went out and rode for 5 hours at a 17mph pace, having at least 5 GUs along the way (high sugar)...probably some Gatorade (high sugar), that you can go home and have a 1000-1500 calorie meal? If you are eating clean (i.e. non-processed foods, low sugars/low GI foods, including NO alcohol), then it is hard to get in that many calories. And, you will probably stay at a deficit and lose some weight- and be leaner. You should not be 20%+ Body Fat as a woman and call yourself an elite triathlete. Don't get me wrong, just because you have low body fat does not make you fast- but, it does help to get you faster if that could be what is holding you back from getting to the next level. If your goal is just to "finish"- then, eat all you want, get fat and enjoy your long 6 hour rides at 15 mph and your 2500 calorie dinners. I, myself, am 5'6", 137 lbs, and 14% BF (as of last wee). I work hard at that, and, I do fairly well at races. I keep getting better each year, and also, a bit leaner.

Just don't call yourself a triathlete if you are going to let yourself get FAT just because you want to say you do this endurance sport- true reality is, if your FAT, say it. You are a FAT TRIATHLETE- and there is a book out there that describes what that is. Eat a bit cleaner, don't put so much in your mouth, cut back on those "sports" drinks/gels during your training, and you might surprise yourself. Running 15+ miles, or riding 5 hours might feel a bit easier.

Train Hard- Eat Smart.

erikalilley.blogspot.com
Early entry in the worst post of the year competition.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you missed the glaring pink text.

A "fat-triathlete" doesn't take away from my accomplishments, but I sure am not calling them an athlete. Doing the bare minimum to just attain completion shows a weak character. I don't care what time this person finishes in. If you do something, you should do it right and well to the best of your ability. As long as you do that, it doesn't matter if you finish in 17, 18, or 19 hours.

Does this mean I have to preface all nouns with an adjective to define myself?

Last edited by: ltcaesar: Jan 27, 08 18:11
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [ltcaesar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so someone who is fat could not have trained?
what about someone thin who just shows up and does it? and walks the marathon. are they an athlete?

I think anyone who is getting out there and training and is swimming, biking and running is a triathlete.

I do not think athletes are all of one build - even endurance athletes.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A "fat-triathlete" doesn't take away from my accomplishments, but I sure am not calling them an athlete. Doing the bare minimum to just attain completion shows a weak character. I don't care what time this person finishes in. If you do something, you should do it right and well to the best of your ability. As long as you do that, it doesn't matter if you finish in 17, 18, or 19 hours.

Um, so which is? You're not an athlete if you're overweight or as long as you do the best to your ability it doesn't matter? Seems to be a bit of a contradiction.

Are you implying that someone who is heavier is just doing the bare minimum?

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been avoiding this thread like the plague....

But (of course I give in)....I know a few people who refuse to lose weight so they can stay in the Clyd/Athena groups...they have great pride in a BOP time...and an instant weight excuse for their time...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you looked for an argument.

Being a triathlete does not make you an athlete. It makes you a "do-er" of triathlons. Less miss-leading would be "triathloner." Someone that doesn't make the effort to fully commit themselves as best they can is not an athlete. Twigs or massive gym-rats are not athletes because they walk a marathon. No one is an athlete because they compete. No one is an athlete because they weigh X lbs.

Someone who is not actively pursuing health (both sides of the weight fence) and achievement (personal or otherwise) is not an athlete. In the meantime, do the best you can until you achieve the physical side.

Edit for a few responses:

Is it really to the best of your ability to finish as a "fat" triathlete? I'm not arguing for a lean field of competitors. I believed we were talking about unhealthy weight... not a person with some extra weight or the average joe-shmoe. If you aren't healthy as a normal person on the street, you aren't an athlete on the course.

Great pride in a BOP time? How about great pride in doing the best you can (you may have meant that, but the wording makes a big difference)?

Double edit:

I think I moved away from the OP's intent: meaty does not a fatty make. I'd rather be meaty than skinny. The pic of Rasmussen shirtless makes me sick!

Last edited by: ltcaesar: Jan 27, 08 19:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone who is not actively pursuing health (both sides of the weight fence) and achievement (personal or otherwise) is not an athlete.//

That is the smartest thing I have heard thus far in this thread- re: the pursuit of health. That is really what this boils down to. If you would spend as much time, effort, and money into the fuel that feeds your machine (body) that you do on your aero bikes, and other "tecky" stuff that is so commonly displayed and boasted about all over this Forum, maybe you would be a better triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have been avoiding this thread like the plague....
I tried to, but that one was was just so irritating and condescending I couldn't help myself.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [omoore61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont you live in california(i read socal in another thread)? Apples and oranges :P
--------------------------------------------------
Yes I live in SoCal.

Apples and oranges :P. Good point:)

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Like Big Butts and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny, that when a girl walks in with a little bitty waste and a round thing in your face you get sprung!...There is nothing better than a meaty, fit BUTT on a woman!
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [albush1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I Like Big Butts and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny, that when a girl walks in with a little bitty waste and a round thing in your face you get sprung!...There is nothing better than a meaty, fit BUTT on a woman!

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that's what I'm talking about!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did she pee on herself?
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did she pee on herself?
must have been on the bike leg (the real reason for no drafting ;)

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [albush1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that when a girl walks in with a little bitty waste

Why do you like girls that carry garbage with them?

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did she pee on herself?
Get your head off the monitor! You are looking too close.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right! My nose was touching the monitor. Is that not good? :)
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice catch - I can't think of a funny retort, other than a pun for Junk in the trunk (junk being a synonym for waste.) Hasn't anyone ever staggered behind someone for a moment just to check them out even though their pace was slower? Don't lie!
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing that I know Erika Lilley pretty well, I think her point may have slipped out of her hands a bit. Weight is a difficult thing to bring up or talk about. Erika is by no means your long lean muscled triathlete. As a matter of fact, I don't think she is capable of looking like an elite 1500m runner or even an elite ITU triathlete. She carrys a strong frame with a lot of muscle.

Last year at this time, she weighed quite a bit more. While she was training her butt off, she still had extra butt. She has leaned down considerably, but knows that there is more molding and shaping to take time off before buying the latest and greatest ZIPP speed weaponary.

Erika may have had a few organic margaritas prior to her post, when describing the FAT Triathlete. I think she reflects on all of her years in triathlon, minus 2007, when she vents on the importance of body composition. All of the money and that has been spent on new bikes, wheels, massage, wetsiuits, coaching, power meters and heart rate monitors does not compare to the 12 pounds of unwanted fat and muscle tissue she finally got rid of in the past year.

Keeping it lean is a hard thing to do. I am always looking for the correct recipe. Please let me know when you find it!

pt
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy solution - tape worm.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul, you da man!

Thanks for driving the point home, and yes- Paul Thomas helped me get lean.
Quote Reply

Prev Next