Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [PNWTSUT13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
70% of triathletes (and I am just estimating here) can lose 10-15 lbs, and would probably be better for it. Endurance training is not for FAT LOSS. You think just because you went out and rode for 5 hours at a 17mph pace, having at least 5 GUs along the way (high sugar)...probably some Gatorade (high sugar), that you can go home and have a 1000-1500 calorie meal? If you are eating clean (i.e. non-processed foods, low sugars/low GI foods, including NO alcohol), then it is hard to get in that many calories. And, you will probably stay at a deficit and lose some weight- and be leaner. You should not be 20%+ Body Fat as a woman and call yourself an elite triathlete. Don't get me wrong, just because you have low body fat does not make you fast- but, it does help to get you faster if that could be what is holding you back from getting to the next level. If your goal is just to "finish"- then, eat all you want, get fat and enjoy your long 6 hour rides at 15 mph and your 2500 calorie dinners. I, myself, am 5'6", 137 lbs, and 14% BF (as of last wee). I work hard at that, and, I do fairly well at races. I keep getting better each year, and also, a bit leaner.

Just don't call yourself a triathlete if you are going to let yourself get FAT just because you want to say you do this endurance sport- true reality is, if your FAT, say it. You are a FAT TRIATHLETE- and there is a book out there that describes what that is. Eat a bit cleaner, don't put so much in your mouth, cut back on those "sports" drinks/gels during your training, and you might surprise yourself. Running 15+ miles, or riding 5 hours might feel a bit easier.

Train Hard- Eat Smart.

erikalilley.blogspot.com

I don't think most women doing triathlons refer to themselves as "elite triathletes."

Also, I'm confused - are people who are fat not allowed to call themselves triathletes, or do they simply have to modify that with some kind of qualifier? Just want to make sure I get this right so as to not offend anyone. And I kind of like the idea of being more specific, actually. Think of how useful it'll be for us to be able to hang out with "our kind of people" if we're upfront about these things - no one is a "triathlete" - we have to go with descriptors: "fat triathlete," "lean triathlete," "lean and bitchy triathlete," "kind-of-mushy-in-the-middle triathlete," "assclown triathlete," "poser triathlete," etc. Brilliant idea. :-)

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [TriRug0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
<StartOfBoast>My athena wife races age group in both triathlon, trail runs, and XTerra. At every race (except for XTerra Nationals in Nevada) she was on the podium. In fact, she placed first in at least two road triathlons this year. She might not look fit to people who don't know her, but she motors anyway. Rock on, wife. <EndOfBoast>
That's awesome - your wife is a rockstar! Here's hoping she keeps kicking ass.

And "black," congrats on taking up the "Swimfan" mantle. ;-)

As for me, I do take offense at the word "meaty." I think "beefy" is so much better.

Actually, this whole topic makes me wonder.....why do people care so much what other people look like? Who cares if there are fat people doing triathlons? At least they're working out. Good for them. Two of the coolest guys I've seen doing a triathlon were from 2 years ago, doing Stoneman when it was literally about 98 degrees, very humid, very tough day. But they were out there - two very big guys, obviously friends, walking the run course at that point because it was so damn hot, but moving along, cracking me up with their conversation as I went past them. "All right, we rock, we're doing this man, our first triathlon, we just have to keep moving. Two fat guys getting it done." "Hey, that would be a good name for a rock band." And so on. Why would anyone look down on them?

--------------------

Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gazelle wrote, "...Why would anyone look down on them?"

That's quite an easy answer, because it diminishes the magnitude of the achievement.

15 years ago, if you said you completed an Ironman, Joe Q. public would say,"You stud/studlette" that is quite an achievement, you must be quite special. Then you would smile because you would feel special.

Fast forward that to 2008. You say you completed an Ironman and Joe Q. public says either:
  • "That's nice, did you win?"
  • "That's nice, so did my aunt Mavis and cousin Brucie. And Fred quit bowling and started swimming on Wednesdays so he can do Lake Placid in July. And oh by the way, did you win?
All of a sudden "everyone" is doing Ironman and YOU don't feel special anymore. Especially since you are no idiot and know that Joe Q. Public doesn't know, or give a rat's ass the difference between a 10 hour finish or a 15 hour finish. Or between a mail slot and a Kona slot.

Furthermore, if you are 5'10 and 150 pounds OF COURSE you can do an Ironman. It takes a real special person to do it at 5'10 and 250 pounds. The "beefy folks" steal your glory.

If anyone can do it, what's the point? Time to get into bowling! At least THEY get to wear cool shoes.

That's why we Slowtwitchers look down on the beefy folks. If they can do it, we don't feel as special and that's what makes us go on 5 hour bike rides, 2.5 hour runs (no longer than that, right JohnnyO?) and breathe in pounds of chlorine at the pool.

Isn't it?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There seems to be this weird sub-culture of triathletes who only do tris so that they can talk about themselves and their "great" accomplishment. If they see a person who does not fit their particular definition of a triathlete, it drives them nuts, because they then think that somehow, their accomplishments are diminished. I have never, ever, understood this. Its amazingly self-centered, and particularly unpleasant. Post something on here about a 250 lb chick who finished an IM in 16:58 and you'll get a whole slew of this species come out of the woodwork, proclaiming that she "isn't a real ironman" because she walked the run, or whatever. I truly feel sorry for these people...they can't seem to feel proud of what they did...they need to make sure that everybody understands that they are the real ironman because they "raced" it, and finished in sub-12, or whatever.

Spot

Quote | Reply
14% body fat is too low for estrogen production. Might be fine for your racing, but I hope if you are advising people you would not be telling women to aim for that. This is not just a reproduction issue (though certainly that could be affected) but adversely affects bone density.

Not everyone out racing is out to be elite.

If someone is out there training then they have already achieved a better fitness level than the majority of Americans. Most runners DO look too scrawny!

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>I don't think most women doing triathlons refer to themselves as "elite triathletes."

Also, I'm confused - are people who are fat not allowed to call themselves triathletes, or do they simply have to modify that with some kind of qualifier? Just want to make sure I get this right so as to not offend anyone. And I kind of like the idea of being more specific, actually. Think of how useful it'll be for us to be able to hang out with "our kind of people" if we're upfront about these things - no one is a "triathlete" - we have to go with descriptors: "fat triathlete," "lean triathlete," "lean and bitchy triathlete," "kind-of-mushy-in-the-middle triathlete," "assclown triathlete," "poser triathlete," etc. Brilliant idea. :-) <<

Will you come to the Gals Weekend?????? You will fit right in!

clm, kind-of-mushy-in-the-middle-but-can-kick-ass triathlete ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [dyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree that it's unkind to label anyone meaty - and why should we care anyway - I will chime in with my personal experience on the matter. I have gotten much "meatier" since training for long distance tris. I am ~8 lbs heavier than I was as a runner who did some triathlons. I went into Kona this past year weighing what I did at 5 months pregnant. Yes, some of it is muscle. But not all of it, that's for sure.

I've discussed this with the women I train with, because it has happened to them as well. I tend to think that my body is living in a state of "God knows what she's going to do to me tomorrow - I'd better pack this away, just in case!" You don't see the lean muscle tone on the leading women in long distance triathlon that you see on the men. Our bodies like fat. And my body likes m&ms after long rides, so I agree that some of it has to do with what we're putting in when we're worn out :)

Also, I am of the opinion that the healthy fertility vs. body fat %age is an individual thing. I got pregnant and carried three healthy kids to term with <10% body fat.

Just my $.02.

RR
Last edited by: runlikeamother: Jan 27, 08 15:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude you sound like a douchebag... worry about yourself. I do the sport because it's fun, not so I can brag to others about it.
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not have it tested recently, but my body fat is less than 14%, probably less than 12, and I and my doctor think that I am perfectly healthy. I get my period regulary. I have several serving of milk, yogurt, and cheeses everyday. I would be willing to bet that my bone density is in excellent condition. PNWTSUT13's weight and body fat seem fine to me. I remember racing her at nationals last year and she looked perfectly healthy to me.

She was not saying that everyone should be at less than 20%. I think she was just saying that elites should not be at 20%+.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Gazelle wrote, "...Why would anyone look down on them?"

That's quite an easy answer, because it diminishes the magnitude of the achievement.

15 years ago, if you said you completed an Ironman, Joe Q. public would say,"You stud/studlette" that is quite an achievement, you must be quite special. Then you would smile because you would feel special.

Fast forward that to 2008. You say you completed an Ironman and Joe Q. public says either:
  • "That's nice, did you win?"
  • "That's nice, so did my aunt Mavis and cousin Brucie. And Fred quit bowling and started swimming on Wednesdays so he can do Lake Placid in July. And oh by the way, did you win?

That's why we Slowtwitchers look down on the beefy folks. If they can do it, we don't feel as special and that's what makes us go on 5 hour bike rides, 2.5 hour runs (no longer than that, right JohnnyO?) and breathe in pounds of chlorine at the pool.

Isn't it?

Hee hee.....I love your dry wit - the sheer irony and high camp of your reply made me laugh. Fred swimming on Wednesdays indeed! ;-)

--------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been out of the 7th grade for far too long to give a rat's ass what Joe Public thinks of my accomplishments.

What I don't get is when did it become "everyone" can do an IM or marathon or whatever? 5 hours on the bike butt early on a Saturday morning takes a special person. This has very little to do with what size jeans you wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> You should not be 20%+ Body Fat as a woman and call yourself an elite triathlete.<<

Who is calling themselves an elite triathlete?

You can just call me a triathlete who qualified for Kona but who is finding cyclocross and that crowd a lot more friendly and easy going

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you forgot the pink text....

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

She was not saying that everyone should be at less than 20%. I think she was just saying that elites should not be at 20%+.

Oh. My bad. I thought she was saying that if you're fat, you shouldn't call yourself a triathlete. Unless you qualify it, perhaps by wearing a sash? "Ms. Fat Triathlete" or something like that. I don't know where I got that idea. Oh, it could be from this quote of hers: "Just don't call yourself a triathlete if you are going to let yourself get FAT just because you want to say you do this endurance sport- true reality is, if your FAT, say it. You are a FAT TRIATHLETE." But maybe I'm misinterpreting that.

--------------------

Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think you forgot the pink text....

*Snort* - or the winking smilie. Though I appreciate others' indignation at Hydrosloth's "elitist" attitude, finely crafted sarcasm that it is.

And you know, I am planning a trip out to CA to visit my brother. Hmm, might have to check out that thread on when exactly the ST chicks' weekend is........ ;-) (Maybe I'll even bring my own "Lumpen-but-Asskicking-triathlete" sash!)

--------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, if you take anything said in this thread personally, good chance you probably can get a bit leaner. This will always be an ongoing debate- you know if you could lose some weight, and without getting too personal... I mean, can you stand to lose 10 lbs? 20% body fat is not THAT lean...
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a clyde, always will be. 5'10" 218 (I carry it well or so I'm told). I was able to talk my wife into coming out because there were so many body types at any given tri. She was intimidated by some of the younger ladies in our masters group. She is 5' nuthin' and a 100 & xx pounds ( I don't know, I never asked her, I don't care, she looks amazing to me!). I turned 47 a couple of weeks ago, kids in high school, college and university, we both work long hours, I travel (still sitting in Austin), neither of us is ever going to look 18 again but we both train hard, run long, swim 3 times a week, bike etc. If some one wants to call me a meaty triathlete, I can live with that. There is however, one caveat: they had better be willing to say it to my face. We used to have a saying in wrestling, "the bigger man will always beat the better technician". (insert smiley face thingy here. Or not)
j
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [Emerald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dude, if you take anything said in this thread personally, good chance you probably can get a bit leaner. This will always be an ongoing debate- you know if you could lose some weight, and without getting too personal... I mean, can you stand to lose 10 lbs? 20% body fat is not THAT lean...
I am at about 18% body fat (possibly less) and this offends me.
There is a thread right now about anorexia. It often starts from comments like this from coaches, dance instructors, peers....
I treat women in my office with anorexia. I treat LOTS of women who cannot get pregnant (though they get their periods monthly). I also treat lots of women with low bone density - even ones you would hardly suspect - until they trip off the sidewalk and break both ankles.

Anyone getting out there and doing triathlons is a triathlete - who made you the tri police? Regardless of eliteness! Are you saying that no one who weighs more than you has ever beat you?

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Those scrawny pencil necks on Letsrun have now idea what a real meaty woman is:

Is that a bulge that I see down there???????

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I could totally stand to lose weight but choose to stay heavy just to remind you how average your accomplishments really are. :D
Last edited by: kblahetka: Jan 27, 08 17:42
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My God!! Is her faced touched up or what? This gal is totally freaking me out :)
Quote Reply
Re: "Meaty" women triathletes: [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good grief - what a thread. I cant figure out what is personal or not, but really - who gives two hoots how big any one is.
Do concet pianists discuss which among them has fat fingers? And if it affects their performance playing Rachmaninov?
Did Sir Edmund Hilary concern himself about how fat or lean his sherpa's were?
Maybe Captain Scott selected dogs that were too lean and that was why is expedition failed? Maybe he was too concerned with Amundsen's body image and what others may think of him?
What if i looked a little too fat to ride a cervelo and my Zoot shorts were a little stretched at the seams? And i was over 40? Am i not a triathlete?
It is about personal acheivement and motivation and more power to anyone that is willing to exercise and try their best in competition. My hat is off to them. Anyone that has anything negative or derogatory to say based on accompishment, size, shape, fitnes or gender is simply displaying their inferior character for all to see. This applies to the use of words such as those that started this thread. What a pathetic descriptor.
More power to ST'ers and Triathletes of every size and shape!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ah yes. The "you must be fat" if you don't agree with me argument. Nice.

FYI: I've met Gazelle, she's not a fatty.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply

Prev Next