Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:
I think it is a function of leg length / seat height, upper to lower leg ratio, foot size, preferred setback (which itself is a function of..?), strength (FTP) of the rider, degree of pelvic tilt, preferred reach, overall mobility, total lifetime duration of riding, and the "X" factor. If there is one angle that drives it, it would have to be knee flexion. I have found I can make pretty good predictions of what the rider will choose, or give good recommendations solely from seat height. I've also found that there is pretty much nothing really too short for steady state aerobar riding.

Thanks.
It would be nice if I could take a few simple measurements. Let's say seat height, leg length, clear position, torso angle and then come up with a simple formula.
It won't be that simple as I'm sure that using shorter cranks will then enable a change in all of the other variables.
Aarrgh!
I've got two years to figure it out.

Ok, I am trying to be gentle with rroof, but to be honest, I think you can use seat height as your primary driver and never look back. Other than out of the saddle climbing, there is virtually no downside to going shorter. Drive by gloat time.....At a 79cm seat height, I went down to 155s and won the VA 40kTT overall, and then the fastest bike split award at AG Nationals in 2012. Knowing what I know now, if somebody put a gun to my head and made me ride 145s or 140s, I would not be the least bit nervous about reduced performance. I recommend erring on the side of shorter.

You are right though, crank length effects everything. Really everything on the bike effects everything else, but crank length is the rug that ties the room together.
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you will find is that no tour rider will venture far from their day to day crank length for what is a very small part of their riding.
You also need to take into account the maximum reach and 5cm behind rules that absolutely impacts nearly every tour rider in regards to TT position.
Simply bolting aerobars on my roadbike puts me at the limit of extension without an exception, so basically riding a tri position from the 80's where standard bikes just had aerobars added.
Also going forward loads up the knees and if you are powerful it becomes a injury threat.
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ Surely shorter cranks would be a benefit for those limited by the 5cm-behind-BB rule?
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of these amateurs are doing 30 mph on straight, flat non technical courses. The pros are doing it on courses with a ton of turns, climbing and in the rain. It’s unreal.
I did 30 on a rolling ten miler on only 375 watts and I’m tall, but it was dead straight too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ok, I am trying to be gentle with rroof, but to be honest, I think you can use seat height as your primary driver and never look back. Other than out of the saddle climbing, there is virtually no downside to going shorter. Drive by gloat time.....At a 79cm seat height, I went down to 155s and won the VA 40kTT overall, and then the fastest bike split award at AG Nationals in 2012. Knowing what I know now, if somebody put a gun to my head and made me ride 145s or 140s, I would not be the least bit nervous about reduced performance. I recommend erring on the side of shorter.

You are right though, crank length effects everything. Really everything on the bike effects everything else, but crank length is the rug that ties the room together.[/quote]
I've been as low as 155mm too. It didn't negatively effect me (I'm 180cm 6ft). I'm glad you mentioned steady state cycling. As I think that may be where short cranks are best. In general people over emphasize the feedback during acceleration. Which for us is a tiny proportion of our racing. This I think also confirms the belief in pulling up on the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
There is definitely a large swath of fans who believe that these guys are thoroughly tweaked, optimized, and know every trick in the book to go fast on TT bikes. I used to to think that. I don't any more.

I don't believe they all are by a long shot, but some. And they have the financial resources as well. Do you believe Sky hasn't looked at crank length? They certainly aren't beholden to tradition.

The pros who care about TTing are going >32mph (51.5km) on the flat. I just watched the 2009 Worlds where Cancellara averaged slightly more than that on a hilly technical course. Don't you think the fact that their events are short and they are riding at ~FTP could skew things a little? Cycling pros also need to consider what works on the road bike. A triathlete rides at a lower fraction of FTP, and the run is most important so they are never at the limit of what they could do for the duration. They are also nearly always fit in a more "comfortable" position.
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:
There is definitely a large swath of fans who believe that these guys are thoroughly tweaked, optimized, and know every trick in the book to go fast on TT bikes. I used to to think that. I don't any more.

I don't believe they all are by a long shot, but some. And they have the financial resources as well. Do you believe Sky hasn't looked at crank length? They certainly aren't beholden to tradition.

The pros who care about TTing are going >32mph (51.5km) on the flat. I just watched the 2009 Worlds where Cancellara averaged slightly more than that on a hilly technical course. Don't you think the fact that their events are short and they are riding at ~FTP could skew things a little? Cycling pros also need to consider what works on the road bike. A triathlete rides at a lower fraction of FTP, and the run is most important so they are never at the limit of what they could do for the duration. They are also nearly always fit in a more "comfortable" position.

I don't really disagree with any of that. What I would disagree with is using what these guys are doing to in some way debunk the experience of thousands of lesser athletes and a small handful of world class bike fitters.

Anyway, if you read the article I linked earlier, Sky absolutely went shorter, though I am not sure where they are today. But in reality, they didn't dip under 165, and going from 175 to a 172.5 or any 2.5 mm change isn't going to do much if anything, especially in the context of how they likely did it.
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
I’m currently on 165mm.

Want to try 150-155mm but I don’t know where to find them. Any ideas?

https://cobbb2b.com/...ariant=6067235815467

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
I’m currently on 165mm.

Want to try 150-155mm but I don’t know where to find them. Any ideas?

https://cobbb2b.com/...ariant=6067235815467

Cobb actually skips 150. Thy have 155 and 145.

Rotor dips down to 150 in some models.

Also Power2Max has had some models that pair with as short as 155m cranks if you are looking for short crank based power. Not sure of their current offerings. Most riders riding less than 162.5 simply switch to pedal based power meters.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jul 31, 18 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Bike fitter for about 12 years, about 3000 fits. I'm decent at it. I've always tried to learn from those better than me and over the years, there have been a few tricky questions that I was having a hard time answering until I started experimenting with shortening cranks.

1. Seat too high! - Two angles are the primary drivers of the short crank movement. Knee flexion at the top of the stroke and, probably to a lesser degree, thigh torso clearance at the same point. Raising the seat opens both of these angles, so pedaling can feel better. It is not until later that we come to find that seat height may be causing us other problems.

2. Inability to rotate at the hips, or staying rotated rearward on the saddle, aka - posterior pelvic tilt instead of anterior. Also aka - "riding it like a road bike". Posterior rotation relieves thigh - torso pinching, and I have seen this tendency minimized or in some cases instantly and completely disappear once crank length was addressed. It doesn't really address the knee flexion issue directly, but it can move the overly flexed knee to an earlier portion of the stroke, which can be of some benefit, so perhaps a tertiary benefit to excessive knee flexion? Knee flexion is an issue because the knee can't be extended with close to max power from an overly flexed position. So if we can reduce the flexion or move the overly flexed knee back and away from the powerful portion of the stroke, we have made it better. Unfortunately, anterior pelvic tilt is not the fastest way for most of us to ride.

3. Excessive forward movement on the saddle You know the rider who no matter how far forward the saddle is moved, continually gravitates to the very tip of it, in some cases approaching an actual 90° of seat tube angle. IF everything else stays fixed, sliding forward will open the hip angle, at least the FIST defined "major" hip angle as I have come to refer to it, but other angles can become cramped. But IF we come forward AND raise the saddle (which we should), then it is more obvious how both thigh torso and knee flexion can benefit.

Anyway, just some quick observations that have been solidifying in my brain lately. I'm sure I was unclear about something and will be called out for my ignorance. I am not trying to dictate to the forum, as much as throw out some ideas and get some feedback on your experience as a rider or a bike fitter.

Finally, this is a rough range of crank lengths that riders have been selecting as a loose function of seat height.

<60cm seat height :: Crank 145mm or less. Really as short as you can find, maybe go custom. I’ve fit down to 135mm with custom cut BMX cranks.
60-65cm :: Crank length 140-145mm
65-70cm :: 145-150mm
70-75cm :: 150-155mm
75-80cm :: 155-160mm
80-85cm :: 160-165mm
>85cm :: 165-170mm, maybe 172.5 Keep in mind that of the tallest, strongest professional athletes I have fit literally ZERO of them have preferred anything over 165mm. These are 6’3” and taller athletes pushing wattage over 375 watts at threshold and upper 200s to 300 for IM races.

Your title is Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long"

So a shorter crank requires you to lower the seat?
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An appropriate crank will allow you to pedal at both an appropriate knee extension and not cramp your thigh-torso and knee flexion angles. If your crank is too long for you, one way to alleviate the issues that that cramping causes is to raise your seat to a point where now knee extension becomes too large. Seat too high is a common compensation for crank too long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not understanding

So if I have say 175 cranks and I change to 150s then does the distance from my saddle to the bottom of the b peddle stroke decrease 25 and would have to lower or raise seat 25 to have the same distance if I am happy with the current distance?
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
I’m not understanding

So if I have say 175 cranks and I change to 150s then does the distance from my saddle to the bottom of the b peddle stroke decrease 25 and would have to lower or raise seat 25 to have the same distance if I am happy with the current distance?

No. To replicate the same fit on shorter cranks, you raise the saddle when going to a shorter crank.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two different things.

First, one of the ways many riders compensate for their cranks being longer than ideal is raising their seat height. This helps correct the problems that long cranks cause, but it is not recommended. I am saying this is a problem.

Second, when you go to shorter cranks, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING OPTIMIZED AND EQUAL, you will raise your seat by the same amount your shorten the crank, raise the bars by the same amount, move the saddle rearward by the same amount you shorten the crank, and move the bars rearward that same amount as well. So everything moves to compensate for top of the pedal stroke and front of the pedal stroke foot position. That's where you start anyway. Then you can get into the process of determining what things might actually change about your fit with the shorter crank, beyond the basic compensations. Classic and most common is to ride more drop.
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
RBR wrote:
I’m not understanding

No. To replicate the same fit on shorter cranks, you raise the saddle when going to a shorter crank.

Ah ok thank you for taking the time to post this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, forgive me for getting in and forgive my English
I use a translator
I'm just going to comment that I went through several cranks in tt, 175, 172,5, 170, 165, 150 and returned to 170

You can say the comments that you like, since I'm not a pro or anything like that.
I am an amateur who spends many hours training.
I could say that when I reached 165 my ftp was kept but with strange sensations.
I even went to 150, and I could not keep the test for 20 minutes in indoor, or in the street 1 hour, the same power.
I wanted to be able to, and keep a new cranks that I had recently bought in 150
but I could not adapt, or talk if I went out on the road with fellow riders, on the slopes, abrupt changes of pace, it was not the same.
now I'm in 170, with a seat cobb 55
height 175 cm
layers that someone could tell me I needed more time, the time I gave to the 150 were 2 months

sorry my english
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [warlockuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had no problem getting shorter cranks for tri bike from bike smith design and hope to get shorter ones for mountain bike soon. Ordered a new crank from him and had an existing crank cut shorter. Very happy with both.

http://bikesmithdesign.com/

Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [warlockuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warlockuy wrote:
First of all, forgive me for getting in and forgive my English
I use a translator
I'm just going to comment that I went through several cranks in tt, 175, 172,5, 170, 165, 150 and returned to 170

You can say the comments that you like, since I'm not a pro or anything like that.
I am an amateur who spends many hours training.
I could say that when I reached 165 my ftp was kept but with strange sensations.
I even went to 150, and I could not keep the test for 20 minutes in indoor, or in the street 1 hour, the same power.
I wanted to be able to, and keep a new cranks that I had recently bought in 150
but I could not adapt, or talk if I went out on the road with fellow riders, on the slopes, abrupt changes of pace, it was not the same.
now I'm in 170, with a seat cobb 55
height 175 cm
layers that someone could tell me I needed more time, the time I gave to the 150 were 2 months

sorry my english

That's because, for some athlete's, there's such a thing as having too little knee flexion over the top of the pedal stroke.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 things for sure. I or (you) can't climb for shit with short cranks!

While I may look prettier taking pics of me in fit studio in real world my 155s were dogshit.

Stick to as long of crank as reasonably possible.

Imo this 'short crank theory' is a way to generate revenue. Etc

*Speaking honestly here*
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
1 things for sure. I or (you) can't climb for shit with short cranks!

While I may look prettier taking pics of me in fit studio in real world my 155s were dogshit.

Stick to as long of crank as reasonably possible.

Imo this 'short crank theory' is a way to generate revenue. Etc

*Speaking honestly here*

That actually hasn't been my experience at all. I've found those who need shorter cranks climb much better with them while seated...especially in the aero position. Perhaps you just didn't need shorter cranks?!

None of the information in this post is new, or a puzzle. It's been out there for years.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

In other words, you want to start with the same leg extension, which means moving the saddle up the same amount that the crank length was shortened.
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
1 things for sure. I or (you) can't climb for shit with short cranks! *

Averaging all my climbing over the last few years, there wouldn't be any significant difference in my times between crank lengths, although a majority of my PRs were set on the shortest. The real difference is that I'm more comfortable with the shorter cranks...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
stevej wrote:

In other words, you want to start with the same leg extension, which means moving the saddle up the same amount that the crank length was shortened.

Thank you

This is what I was trying to get at

So the title should be maybe your crank arm is too long and your seat too low
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not what I was trying to get at. A lot of people have their seat too high already, perhaps as a compensation for a crank too long. The changes you need to make to equalize for different crank lengths is something different.
Quote Reply
Re: "Maybe your seat is too high because your crank is too long" and other interesting bike fit puzzles. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
thatzone wrote:

None of the information in this post is new, or a puzzle. It's been out there for years.

Very true, except there are like a dozen bike fitters out of a many thousands that actually get it. Seriously, how many fitters do you know and recommend? I struggle to compile a list of a few dozen. And you're one of them. I think education is key for all competent fitters to have more business, and it seems like this particular issue really needs to be beaten like a dead horse.
Quote Reply

Prev Next