Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
See linked article: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?"
Quote | Reply
That is the title of the short interview linked below, with the focus on professional cycling and folks in power on governing bodies and the like.

Not sure if any sport is clearly "the" whitest on earth, but, at least in the usa, triathlon is right up there as well ...

A kinda sobering interview with first female African American pro cyclist:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...st-african-american/?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jul 6, 20 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Echos of swimming and Simone Manuel’s statements, but at least in swimming they did a second statement which had input from black athletes Including Manuel, Lia Neal, Cullen Jones maybe Ervin?

And as far as cycling, it’s pretty “white” at the pro tour level, but internationally i think it’s fairly diverse. Colombia usually has good riders, and I have been enjoying Justin Williams YouTube channel. Looks like there are a number of black and Hispanic riders on the US domestic scene.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I highly doubt that cycling is more white then Hockey, where I am (in NYC) most of the local races are about half black and Hispanic guys, granted this is hyper local, as soon as I drive to PA to do a race the ratio drops allot, but I can't think of anyplace even on the local level that would have so many non whites playing hockey.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not fact based, but Sspeed walking seems pretty white

And curling and nordic skiing at a guess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endurance sports tend to be pretty dominated by whites, but I feel this may be the result of history and not physiology. Over the next several decades I am sure the ratio will even out

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

Only one of those is a sport

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet again the narrative that diversity only counts if African American athletes are the focus. How about looking at the entire world before someone claims that "cycling is a white". If anyone bothered to check out the Asian Games,the South East Asian Games and the World Youth Games they would see medal competitions for female cyclists in Road,track,MTB and BMX. The same applies in Africa and the Latin countries and their respective "Games".

Almost a third of the countries represented in the Female Olympic Road Race in Rio were from "non-white" countries.The hard truth is that perhaps the non-white nations also happen to be from mainly poorer,developing nations and that can't foster talent to be competitive at the highest level.Perhaps also, that socio-economic reality is also reflected in the African American cycling community.

Having enough funding to move a country from developing nation to first world competitive nation is the issue.In western,first world countries there are still cultural reasons and financial barriers that have shaped the makeup of various sporting landscapes.If there is no money then there are few development programs.If there is no development there is little interest.If there is little interest then there is little participation and if there is little participation there is little chance of talent moving to the top of the sport.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jun 26, 20 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:

Only one of those is a sport

Yeah, there’s no way speed walking and Nordic skiing should be in the olympics.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Not sure if is, but, if it is, one has gotta wonder if triathlon is right up there in a close second place ...

A sobering interview with world's first female black pro cyclist:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...r#Echobox=1593177177

It seems like this article is written to get views because of what is going on right now. It really doesn't say anything that is informative. It states that a lot of people protesting, probably don't really care and are just doing that because it's the popular thing to do. Then she mentions that it is disappointing UCI took 2 weeks to say anything publicly and that the words were empty and they didn't want to change. In reality I can bet a lot of big organizations don't really care like the protesters, but feel they have to come out and support BLM because it's a smart business move. Also it is not mentioned about any discrimination black cyclists have faced (apart from USA cycling having & British cycling having no black people on their boards, which is not a surprise given most cyclists are white) so what should the UCI be changing?
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
Also it is not mentioned about any discrimination black cyclists have faced (apart from USA cycling having & British cycling having no black people on their boards, which is not a surprise given most cyclists are white) so what should the UCI be changing?

Your logic is kind of circular. Most cyclists are white, therefore it's not a surprise that the leadership is all white. No problem here. Move along!
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
42point2 wrote:
Also it is not mentioned about any discrimination black cyclists have faced (apart from USA cycling having & British cycling having no black people on their boards, which is not a surprise given most cyclists are white) so what should the UCI be changing?

Your logic is kind of circular. Most cyclists are white, therefore it's not a surprise that the leadership is all white. No problem here. Move along!

Just because most Cyclists are white does not mean there is an issue. Cycling is an expensive sport. African Americans have a far higher percentage of people living in poverty than white people. This automatically will see the average black cyclists plummet. If you asked black kids what they think about Cycling I would say there is a pretty good chance many would say it's a sport for goofy middle aged white guys. Not that they would like to participate because they don't feel welcome.

Certain races gravitate to different sports a higher percentage of black people are sprinters than the ave population, a higher percentage of latino's are Baseballers etc.

Not saying there is no problem with racism in Cycling, but if there is, the person who wrote the article should have done more research about people who have faced racism and what can be done to fix this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sailboat racing.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Yet again the narrative that diversity only counts if African American athletes are the focus. How about looking at the entire world before someone claims that "cycling is a white". If anyone bothered to check out the Asian Games,the South East Asian Games and the World Youth Games they would see medal competitions for female cyclists in Road,track,MTB and BMX. The same applies in Africa and the Latin countries and their respective "Games".

Almost a third of the countries represented in the Female Olympic Road Race in Rio were from "non-white" countries.The hard truth is that perhaps the non-white nations also happen to be from mainly poorer,developing nations and that can't foster talent to be competitive at the highest level.Perhaps also, that socio-economic reality is also reflected in the African American cycling community.

Having enough funding to move a country from developing nation to first world competitive nation is the issue.In western,first world countries there are still cultural reasons and financial barriers that have shaped the makeup of various sporting landscapes.If there is no money then there are few development programs.If there is no development there is little interest.If there is little interest then there is little participation and if there is little participation there is little chance of talent moving to the top of the sport.

Almost all cyclists in India and China accounting for more than 2.5B of the world's population are not white people. I am certain if there was enough money put behind all those people, we'd have enough pro riders from there. If China can compete on medal count in the Olympics and if India can be a constant power in the one sport it actually cares about, there has to be enough genetic talent kicking around to pack the protour with athletes from these nations. Its just a lack of interest in cycling as a sport in these countries. No doubt some of those 5'8" bike rickshaw guys who weigh in at 128 lbs would be amazing hill climbers on the bike...just need to find the 6+ watt per kilo FTP people from that gene pool and we're good to go. No doubt there are kids in there with the same genetic horsepower as Froome, but they never get identified.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and a sweet doing program
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Almost all cyclists in India and China accounting for more than 2.5B of the world's population are not white people. I am certain if there was enough money put behind all those people, we'd have enough pro riders from there. If China can compete on medal count in the Olympics and if India can be a constant power in the one sport it actually cares about, there has to be enough genetic talent kicking around to pack the protour with athletes from these nations. Its just a lack of interest in cycling as a sport in these countries. No doubt some of those 5'8" bike rickshaw guys who weigh in at 128 lbs would be amazing hill climbers on the bike...just need to find the 6+ watt per kilo FTP people from that gene pool and we're good to go. No doubt there are kids in there with the same genetic horsepower as Froome, but they never get identified.

The Olympic channel on YouTube has plenty of videos highlighting African cycling and what is being done to try and develop the sport on that continent.There are plenty of other mini-documentaries about cycling around the world.I know that I am a dateless loser and have all kinds of time on my hands but I can't be the only person here on ST who knows about these videos and the history of cycling away from the UCI elite.

Speaking of rickshaw riders,here is a short piece on the Taxi Bike Riders of Rwanda..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiM1aHQBzsQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I keep seeing the number of blacks on the World Tour, how many American’s are on the World Tour? How about Canadians?
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic will only be commented by privileged white people making examples of how cycling and triathlon don't have a problem. There have been plenty of past posts talking about how there is no diversity in our sport, its nothing new. I live in a very diverse city and every single tri or cycling race is at least 95% white. Why are you surprised?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling at the pro tour level seems to be pretty white. But as others have said, locally at the weekend group ride level there is more diversity.

And winter sports and golf, both at the pro and local amateur level are whiter then cycling.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [runfasterplz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runfasterplz wrote:
I live in a very diverse city and every single tri or cycling race is at least 95% white. Why are you surprised?

See my post above, I can't comment on Tri as I dont do Tri but in regards to cycling, where I live this is clearly NOT the case.
The diversity of the population is very much reflected at the races (pun maybe intended).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It probably is one of the whitest sports and I'm sure racism, or at least not being particularly inclusive is part of it, but race and socioeconomic class go hand in hand (a topic for another time that includes lots and lots of racism). It's the whitest because it's super expensive (equipment, travel, coaching, etc.) and, statistically speaking, minorities are more likely to be lower on the economic totem pole than white people are.
Last edited by: jhammond: Jun 26, 20 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [runfasterplz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runfasterplz wrote:
This topic will only be commented by privileged white people making examples of how cycling and triathlon don't have a problem. There have been plenty of past posts talking about how there is no diversity in our sport, its nothing new. I live in a very diverse city and every single tri or cycling race is at least 95% white. Why are you surprised?

So the countless numbers of posts I have made highlighting the sports of triathlon and cycling in Asia,Africa and Latin America countries were false? There is a big wide world outside the USA .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you posed the question but what do you want us white people to do, should we start eliminating ourselves from this planet as it seems we can't turn the page of anything without being blamed for something that most of us have no control over today, paying for the sins of people hundreds of years ago, to present day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:

Just because most Cyclists are white does not mean there is an issue.

For you there is no issue. For me there is.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hercules wrote:
So you posed the question but what do you want us white people to do, should we start eliminating ourselves from this planet as it seems we can't turn the page of anything without being blamed for something that most of us have no control over today, paying for the sins of people hundreds of years ago, to present day.

Ah the pity party!
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Since I keep seeing the number of blacks on the World Tour, how many American’s are on the World Tour? How about Canadians?

I don't know why that's relevant to this particular discussion. But 25 Americans and 8 Canucks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next