Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels
Quote | Reply
Anyone have one of these? This sounds great. I've been harping on my clients to make sure to monitor their water intake, and yet my ex-husband (one of the ones I remind) just told me about this.

Monitors (on bottle and hydration pack): http://www.hydracoach.com/features_functions/index.html#

Intelligent Water Bottle: http://www.hydracoach.com/applications/index.html

This has to be seen to be believed. If it works as well as it says, it's kinda like a HRM for hydration! (He's going to bring his over so I can see it - he says it helped him immensely.)

I've written the company already to see if I can affiliate for them, or do whatever I can. IF it does like it says (and my ex is a good example of a non-compliant person who finds Hydracoach successful), it's amazing!

FYI, he purchased his at Sports Authority.

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how it would keep track of my sweat rate during exercise or if I happened to have a lot of caffeine in one day or other outside parameters which can contribute to needing more water in a day. Kind of a cool idea though.
Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Initial thought that it is a gimmick. As if someone needs to count for me the number of water bottles I have gone through. It also seems akward as it doesn't fit on traditional water bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me see if I understand. Here's a device into which you input essentially how much you are going to sweat, and how big the bottle is. It then tells you how much you've drank, and how you are doing.

Wow. How did anyone avoid dehydration before this? I mean, nobody can track these things themselves!

The phrase "a solution in search of a problem" comes to mind.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Here's a device into which you input essentially how much you are going to sweat, and how big the bottle is. It then tells you how much you've drank, and how you are doing. Wow. How did anyone avoid dehydration before this? I mean, nobody can track these things themselves!"

One word: nope.

I can't tell you how many people WILL NOT monitor their water needs. I'm talking very sweet, intelligent, self-caring people. Some athletes, some regular people. (This isn't 'everyone on the planet', mind you, but just "many").

Does every human need this water bottle / monitor?
No.

Will it help those people who decide not to try remembering for themselves?
Yes.

Trust me; I hear MANY people talking (I'm a wellness coach, remember!) about what habits they won't do (or 'forget to do'), and this seems a great solution to a tremendous health problem.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not sure how it would keep track of my sweat rate during exercise or if I happened to have a lot of caffeine in one day or other outside parameters which can contribute to needing more water in a day."

It has an sweat:exercise calculator on the website - may have it on the monitor.

Re: caffeine... you will have to read the instructions and/or use your own head. (Remember, I haven't seen this device, only read about it so far).

Again: it's not your complete mommy:
It's simply a tool to help you keep hydrating and to help set a baseline for daily water intake depending on your exertion needs. You must still use the "equipment" between the floor and the device: ie: your brain.

:)
(Not trying to be a smartass but trying to give a gentle reminder...)

lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no problem. I personally don't have the hydration issue but I can see how it could be useful for some folks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this will be a great addition for the people who's ipods play "left foot...right foot...left foot...right foot" for them during their runs and who's GPS receivers give them directions so they can find their way home after their runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ellen likes it! I'm in ;)

I'm headed to the OUtdoor Retailer expo tomorrow so I'll keep my eyes open for a hydrocoach booth so I can check it out.

--Roberto

Representing:
De Soto Clothing
Marin Bicycles
Chariot Carriers
Karhu Skis
Kayland Boots
Nemo Tents
Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [RogueClimber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm headed to the OUtdoor Retailer expo tomorrow so I'll keep my eyes open for a hydrocoach booth so I can check it out. "

Yes, maybe they will be there - who knows. It's a brand new product. I did wrote to the company - and its promoter "Sportsline" is not in the office today, so maybe he's enroute to the expo....? That may be a longshot, because there's a millions reasons he could be out of his office :)

Please keep me posted... and thanks for the offer.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given how many people over or under hydrate in your average Ironman there is certainly some potential value in this.

A slightly more hi-tech version keeping track of liquid calories, sodium and adjusting the rate for temperature might go far.
Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [kfc_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw the actual product -- it's awesome! It looks like a high-tech water bottle with an LED (liquid-crystal?) readout and buttons to push like a HRM.

It fits into my bike's water-bottle holder, and although there isn't much clearance with the top tube, the bottle has a handle so pulling the bottle out with a crooked finger is easy - easier than my regular water bottles, in fact.

It was my ex who brought it for me to see. He's notorious about not drinking any water, despite his water needs. He's excited to have this device figure out HIS water needs and TELL HIM how much water he's already drunk, how much water he needs more to drink, and correlates it to his activity level.

Funny, he thought I'd make fun of him for having it! Instead, I told him it was great - and I was glad be bought it for himself!!

Yes, it may be "Water For Dummies" -- but if you go on the Einstein principle - some people prefer to think about other things. (Einstein has a whole closet full of the same suit so he didn't have to waste time thinking about his clothes). I can't 'make' someone remember how much water they've drunk in a day, so if this little device works -- buy it!

Btw, there's a clock on it also... perfect if someone is running and doesn't have a HRM on with a watch.

I've written to the company and the marketer responded. I may help them product test more things in the future.

Sounds like a wonderful invention to me!

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are at OR (just got an email from them) but you have already had hands on. Sounds interesting!

--Roberto

Representing:
De Soto Clothing
Marin Bicycles
Chariot Carriers
Karhu Skis
Kayland Boots
Nemo Tents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, wait, wait ... Now, I am a TOTAL gadget geek and will pretty much buy any new-fangled "toy" or training tool out there, but, I have a couple questions here. Seriously, I am not trying to be a smart-ass, I am just having a little trouble figuring out whether this is really a feasible solution to a common problem -- under-hydration.

1. On long training rides (4-6 hours), I carry 2 bottles on the bike frame and 2 more behind the seat. If it is hot, and I ride longer, I usually stop at least once to re-fill. So, using this device, I would have to either: (a) purchase 4 of these bottles or (b) have 1 of these bottles and keep refilling it from the other 3 regular bottles, correct?

2. Someone mentioned Ironman. How would this help me in an Ironman race? Water and Gatorade are handed out in bottles on the bike and cups on the run. So, I would have to keep filling this little bottle while trying to race?

3. Wouldn't it just be easier to set the alarm function on a watch or HR monitor to go off every 20 minutes to remind you to drink?

4. Assume I get one of these bottles for my training rides, I still have to issue of finding a source to refill the bottle, correct?

5. How much does this thing cost?

6. Is it insulated? I use Polar insulated water bottles, which will keep drinks cold for hours. Nothing worse that being forced to drink warm water/Gatorade -- it tastes like hell and does not lower your body temp like you want a drink to do.

I guess I can see some value to this device, but, I'm not sure how much. I will admit, I am curious (again, I am a gadget freak...).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jan 24, 07 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
part of me thinks the OP already owns stock in this product.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You had good questions... go to the website and look for yourself, or if you have a local Sports Authority, look there. It's also available via their website.

The one I saw was not insulated; but that doesn't mean there won't be one in the future: the marketing guy told me they will be making new products. You can always write the company and ask, or find a "sleeve" insulator (I have one from a different bottle).

The cost is approx $30.

Yes, you can set an alarm on a watch or HRM. But I think the original idea for this product was a stand-alone. I can tell you that I can't get all my clients to drink their water or set their alarms to drink water, and they can't remember when they drank or how much...

...REMEMBER, you are triathletes with high goal-setting: you are not the whole world. Many people do not function as you do. Some people just will not organize themselves to drink enough (or observe correct levels of) water. ....This is a quality solution.

Someone mentioned Ironman but as a flippant idea. That doesn't mean that this will work on an actual IM race due to logistics (filling, etc). However, one could use it for training to practice prep for IM.

I know everyone has their own ideas, but it's really sad how many people want to bash an interesting idea -- which may not be tri-specific but still has incredible applications anyway. It's very important to remember that I KNOW you guys on ST aint perfect also (LOL!), and i KNOW you all don't eat or drink perfectly everyday. This just happens to be an interesting product which helps someone who carries around a water bottle perhaps to work, or to the gym, or in a clinical setting, or in school, or any other refillable place. It may NOT be for IM purposes but it may be good for a 3-hr run (in your hand) or on a short (<3hr) training rides or on your way to the pool.

Think of the larger applications -- or giving a gift to a relative -- or to an athletic friend who spends a paltry 2 hrs working out --- or SOMETHING positive. Really... (I drink water all day and I STILL think I can use this thing.)

I may sound exasperated a tiny bit because I do notice that ST does bash many things. I am sad about that.

To anyone who may want to look into the product, I think you may enjoy it. For people who don't like the idea -- don't buy it.

To all the inventors out there -- keep inventing,
Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i find this thread hilarious.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Let me see if I understand. Here's a device into which you input essentially how much you are going to sweat, and how big the bottle is. It then tells you how much you've drank, and how you are doing.

Wow. How did anyone avoid dehydration before this? I mean, nobody can track these things themselves!

The phrase "a solution in search of a problem" comes to mind.
[/reply]
I thought the same thing when I open the link...
"Ok, I need to drink a bottle per hour; how on earth I am going to be able to calculate and keep track of that!!!" ;-)

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [Jorge M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Ok, I need to drink a bottle per hour; how on earth I am going to be able to calculate and keep track of that!!!" ;-) "

Ok, this was obviously the wrong place to post this.

If you don't need it, don't buy it. I don't need a jock strap so I don't buy one, but I don't make fun of people who wear one.

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rant on:

Okay, why on earth would the average Joe need to monitor their water intake?

Our bodies have this amazing capacity to tell us when we need water. It's called thirst.

I have never understood the line of thinking that everyone in the world needs to drink 70-100 ounces of water a day. Unless you have a tendency towards kidney stones or urinary tract infections it is complete overkill. Does it help for weight loss? Sure. It's something to do to fill your stomach. Is there a magic number of ounces necessary? No. I'm not saying that everyone should live their lives dehydrated, but living their lives bathroom break to bathroom break is just silly.

My first year in medical school we got a lecture from a nephrologist. He posed us with this question: Two people are trapped in a situation without water. Who lives longer- Person A drinks 80 ounces of free water a day. Person B drinks 40 ounces of free water per day. Answer? Person B. Person A has diluted out their kidney's concentration gradient and can't concentrate their urine appropriately in times of need. I'm not saying that drinking a load of water is dangerous. I'm just saying that the human body is designed very well to guard against dehydration. There is no need to make it more complicated than necessary.

And for athletes there is definitely a need to stay properly hydrated. But I certainly hope we don't need gadgets to remind us of that.

Rant off

Flame away, water lovers!

:-)

Jodi

p.s. Please excuse me. My PI (pissiness index) is extremely high today. I have to spend the entire day in a room with my cheating ex bf. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Jan 25, 07 6:40
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Ok, I need to drink a bottle per hour; how on earth I am going to be able to calculate and keep track of that!!!" ;-) "

Ok, this was obviously the wrong place to post this.

If you don't need it, don't buy it. I don't need a jock strap so I don't buy one, but I don't make fun of people who wear one.

Now hold on a minute, not all of us are bashing it (although I admit most replies to this post are doing so). However, some of us (e.g., me) are seriously curious, but, will question the hell out of it before we drop the coin on it.

For what it's worth (which probably isn't much), I will give my impression of the device as a person who has been involved in training/racing/working out at some level for most of my life and (as I have stated before) is obsessed with gadgets. I view this product much the same way I view the BodyBugg. For those who do not know or remember, the BodyBugg is a device, a little bigger than a full size iPod, that attaches to your upper arm and records calories burned (and taken in) during the day by measuring changes to your temp, Hr, etc. (yes, I am over-simplifying it). When I first saw it, I thought it was pretty cool. However, after researching the hell out of it and talking to multiple people, I realized that it had serious limitations (e.g., cannot be used during swimming) that made it impractical for me.

Now, MANY people swear by this thing. They claim it has helped them lose weight when they were unable to do so before. Why? My view only -- they are finally actually paying attention to what they eat and how much they work out. Is the device doing this? My view -- not really, but, it heightens their awareness of these issues.

So, what does that have to do with this thread? Well, for most of us on this site, this is a ridiculous device of little to no practical value, given how we train and race. However, for your average person who works out a couple times per week, I am starting to think this is a great idea. Seriously. My dad goes to the gym 4-5 times per week and putts on the stationary bike for about 30 min and then hits the weights for another 30 min. I have been with him a few times and he never drinks anything the entire time. He then takes one bottle of water back to the office with him and sips it for the next couple hours and thinks he is good. Now, I am not sure he will actually use this thing, but, for $30, I think I will buy one this weekend and mail it to him. If nothing else, he will probably take it to the gym so he can be one of the cool kids with the new toy.

You took a beating on this thread. For me, I think the device is worthless. However, I am going to get on for my old man. So, for that reason, if for no other, thanks for the info.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jan 25, 07 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jodi--
are you upset that there are so many forumlas of crest? or different swiffers? or so many brands of eyeliner or lipstick?

no?

why not?

our society has an influx of products, and we are grotesque with consumerism. we are not only consuming every single product on the market, we are consuming our own earth.

so, i encourage you to look at the bigger picture. i don't flame the product/inventor because most people do not have the personal responsibility to drink water, let alone eat the right food or get their bodies moving. so i'd rather see a product that encourages people to drink water, as opposed to another "low carb" bread or other thing.

i agree, it is sad that people would "need" to use this. ideally, we should all eat and drink exactly what we need. but we don't. (look around you, it's obvious)

remember you're a different target market. you drink water. you exercise. most people do NOT. and actually many people on ST do not (drink enough water). i'm not defending the product, but the reality is that there are worse things on the market....look at Tide, i mean how many formulas of tide do we really need? (and it's made of precious fossil fuels...why doesn't someone complain about that?)

moreover, if your argument is going to be about what we really NEED, one could easily say we don't NEED most things on the market today. that is the reality.

as for the bottle, would i buy it? no. but it certainly doesn't upset me that someone invented it and it's on the market.
Last edited by: kittycat: Jan 25, 07 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: "Hydracoach" water bottle... monitors fluid needs and levels [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
will you let us know how it works for your dad?
Quote Reply

Prev Next