Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!"
Quote | Reply
Would you say this to a casual acquaintance/coworker? I don't think so.

Ok

Now replace "junk/crap" with "healthy".....I hear this a few times a month at least...and now with cookies and cake at every corner, turning them down illicits more comments. I am not preachy at all about what I eat, I just eat. And people notice. This should not bug me as much as it does.
Last edited by: kbee: Dec 20, 07 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the same sort of thing when co-workers look at me and skrinkle their nose up and say "You're so skinny". Oh how I would love to say, you're so fat.
People around my office are pretty good about supporting my healthyish eating. Unless, they have chocolate in which case, they know to bring me some. :)
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every meeting here is stocked with donuts, it's to the point now where my coworkers don't even offer me one because they know I won't eat one. The best was when one older lady went to pass the box to me and the woman sitting next to her said, "Oh don't pass them to him, he's too healthy to eat donuts," in a sarcastic tone. Yeah, get on me for not wanting to eat sugar coated fried dough.

Donuts are the typical birthday food as well, everyone was disappointed when I asked for bagels instead. I had my whole wheat bagel, some of the other bagels people had were astonishing, a french toast bagel? Crumb cake bagel? I didn't even know they made these things.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just tell them that that crap makes you have to go #3....most people don't want to know anymore than that :)

------------------
The world is full of pricks who can only criticize. Are you one of them?

Your time and energy are limited. Are you wasting them by talking shit on the forums? -Dave Tate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have a cookie now and then and they won't consider you an extremist. you probably work out enough to pay for it. go ahead, do it.

Quote | Reply
...And to all of your bringing said Holiday Cookies and junk into my office - STOP! I don't have kbee's self-control~

ARRRGGGHHH!

"Dude, with your Zipp's, aero helmet and club kit - you kinda look like a pro...I mean a Slow pro..." BIG EZ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my current job, people are cool and supportive, but often say "I could never do that"- "that" being S,B,R, etc. I try to take it in the direction of "sure you could, would you like to hear/know more?"

In my old job, I was reviled for not being part of the chip-eating, mountain dew swilling masses. My boss even lectured me on how I was "unapproachable" due to my "odd" habits- as he ate his lunch of mountain dew and cheese slices he had grabbed out of the fridge that morning...

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I SO want to say that to someone sometime!
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh but I do!!!
Just not EVERY day. If its something really good then yes. But I wont just for the sake of its so and so's birthday so I will have a donut!
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [dyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My answer to those that insist (because I'm so slim) I have a doughnut at work is "I don't stay slim by eating doughnuts".
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [johnu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny thread, we just finished our department's Christmas Luncheon (yes, it's a Christmas Luncheon, not Holiday, not Winter, not XXYY Luncheon... even my Cycling Calendar on the wall says Dec 25 is Christmas)... anyway, I had no self-control... I stood at the back of the line and said, "I sweep my Saturday Bike Ride and I'll sweep this food line"... So, I fell victim to the siren call of carbs, carbs and more carbs... I've already been reminded, I"m gonna die on the Saturday Ride!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When folks offer me junk food, I just say no thanks because I am on a diet. At 6'5, and 175, I get
real weird looks. But, sure keeps my skinny!!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [tringo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I still enjoy sweets occasionally still, I've cut way back. I have an arrangement with my lab mate to slap cookies out of my hand if she catches me with them right now. It helps to have someone else have your back, even if they don't understand why.

Now in contrast to this is my lazy fat obnoxious boss who is too weak mentally to ever consider self control an option. Two years ago he opted for the gastric bypass surgery where they have a saline filled ring (essentially a doughnut) around his stomach. Every meeting I still watch him eat several doughnuts, then have to excuse himself to go to the bathroom where he goes to throw up. Yesterday I caught him sneaking through my lab mates drawers looking for her cashews without her permission. I refuse to feed him. Initially he lost some weight, but I think he's figured out that if he eats non stop he won't overfill .

The contrast keeps me motivated to have control over my diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See my comments about insecurity in the dating thread. It applies here as well:

"Insecurities are insecurities. Everyone has them. It is our willingness to accept them and take responsibility for them instead of trying to enforce the responsibility for our own insecurities onto others that contributes to the strength of a person's character.

Asking another person to facilitate your (their) insecurities is a dead end.

People who try to "fix" their insecurities by attempting to control another person's behavior will never be satisfied."

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple, you respond to them and replace "you eat" with "your body looks like" as in "how come YOUR body looks like junk/crap all the time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly just gave up on all the comments I here about my "weird habits".

But the most funny thing is that I know deep down, most of my coworkers would probably like to have my "discipline". Honestly, it boils down to that.

Every Friday, the big boss brings a box of the always popular TimBits. Of course, most people just go bezerk and go for it. Why? Not because they want one or they are hungry, simply because THE BOX IS THERE. That's the whole point.

The other day, we had a staff lunch. Everyone ordered Mt. Everest type plates of deep-fried whatever, while I had a splendid poached salmon with veggies and a small red potato. In the afternoon, they all felt like crap (and even told me so) even admitting: "I should have ordered what you did...". Why? Because mine actually TASTED SOMETHING?

Tomorrow is our staff Xmas lunch, so I will hear the same. Then the family Xmas meals, and probably more of the same. I just don't give a darn. I would rather live with my healthy self then with the guy I USED to be.

I was actually thinking about that during my run today, and smiling... They can call me "skinny/healthy/freak" every day!\

And by the way, I would also like to very rude sometime and answer back: "you are so fat and unhealthy...".
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's definitely nice when other people are of the same mindset and it makes eating healthy easier, no matter how much willpower i think I have, i break down occasionally when there is junk food around all the time.

but you have to remember that the reason you are being reviled is out of jealousy. they are really looking for someone to share in their gluttony to give them an excuse to not feel bad about themselves. It's really sad if you think about it, if i'm in a particularly good mood I'll ask them what's wrong with eating healthy, or point out the reason why i eat that way beyond the calories/weight isuues, but the unhealthiness of processed foods etc.

"The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed" - Lloyd Jones

http://www.2BePro.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can sympathize. People do notice, and that is in some way a type of compliment. In the long run it may have a positive effect. Mostly I imagine people are jealous of your apparent willpower. In my office I am fortunate that I get not derided, but admired. Lunchtime I hear things like "You have the best food!" and "You are the healthiest eater around here." And people still do make fun of me, saying they are afraid to get things out of the vending machine when I'm around. I usually say "It's all junk!" and people laugh. Sure folks bring in the doughnuts and the office has cake & ice cream once a month for people's birthdays, but for meetings we get not just doughnuts and pastries, but also bagels, yogurt, and bananas. And best of all, the office started subscribing to a fruit delivery service, and once a week you'd think it was Christmas the was people go for that fruit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty interesting what Michael Lovato had to say about his nutrition habits in the recent ST interview. He said something to the effect that "it doesn't matter what you put in the furnace as long as you burn it hot enough". But then on the other hand he recited what was in his refrigerator: organic foods, whole grains, fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc. If I remember right there was another article on him a couple of years ago where he said he eats "good" 6 days a week and then has a one day per week junk food binge.

Time for In-N-Out Burger.
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [cornellrdr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it's definitely nice when other people are of the same mindset and it makes eating healthy easier, no matter how much willpower i think I have, i break down occasionally when there is junk food around all the time.

but you have to remember that the reason you are being reviled is out of jealousy. they are really looking for someone to share in their gluttony to give them an excuse to not feel bad about themselves. It's really sad if you think about it, if i'm in a particularly good mood I'll ask them what's wrong with eating healthy, or point out the reason why i eat that way beyond the calories/weight isuues, but the unhealthiness of processed foods etc.

I could not have put it any better. I am on path to loosing 100 lbs since July 2006. Most people simply don't believe me when I say it's all "mental" and about changing your lifestyle.

I am in no way like most of the studs here, and just a noob tri guy. But I am enjoying every second of it. Even if I can only train 6-7 hours a week at the moment, I make the most out of it, and I am committed to it, and train hard (when it's time to train hard). For me, the training and the nutrition is all about the lifestyle choice. I guess that's what I TRY to preach to my surroundings, but with not too much success!!

I could go on and on about nutrition and choices, but I will leave at that. Heck, I am really new here, and don't want to pass for a troll...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really funny. A few weeks back on another board I read, its motocross stuff, I posted something about this. And got reamed for it. I am amazed that society thinks its okay in general to call people out on eating/being healthy as if there is something wrong with it. This is kind of going a little off topic, but, its social acceptable to heckle someone about smoking/drinking or eating healthy. But, if you tell someone not to eat a donut because their already too fat, your just mean then. Why is this?
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [non_sequitur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Two years ago he opted for the gastric bypass surgery where they have a saline filled ring (essentially a doughnut) around his stomach.
Mmmm, doughnuts...
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [BK14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's fantastic! you'd be surprised how many people have really similar stories. Heck, I played college football and lost 70lbs, now i'm a cyclist, who would have guessed? One of the athletes i coach is down to 170 from 325! I got my mom to lose 50lbs last year. At some point people realize that it's a lifestyle choice and not just crazy lunatics depriving themselves. Those that figure it out get on the track to a healthier, longer-lasting life, whether they do endurance sports or not. Those that don't, continue to feed themselves from greasy containers and plastic wrappers, to each his own. but i'm happy with the choice I have made, and enough people around me have noticed to be influenced in a similar manner.

"The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed" - Lloyd Jones

http://www.2BePro.org
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [BK14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting how I get people seeing me eat carrots and grapes at my desk and then ask if I eat "real food". This is usually when I pull out the Rally's/Checkers bag and say Yes!!

Do you seriously turn down the cake and cookies? I just passed by the conference room and there was some cake left. So I had a piece. Not a huge piece, just a piece. figure, I've got to eat about 4,000 calories to keep weight on anyway, might as well eat what I want.

Basically, my theory is: When what I eat matters to my performance, someone will be measuring it out for me and putting it in front of me. Until then, I'm going to eat what I want, but be smart about it.

Owner/Head Coach for Endurance Concepts
http://www.EnduranceConcepts.com
Sponsored by: Cadence Bikes & Multisport & Brooks
Quote Reply
Re: "How come you eat junk/crap all the time? You make me sick!" [couchweight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading a great text last year (stupid me did not bookmark it) that was a cynical view of the future. The point was that in 10-15 years from now, it will be illegal to workout in public and to be healthy, it was hilarious... and scary!

Then again, I also refer everyone that asks me some sort of advice to this great piece of litterature by Georges Sheehan:

http://www.georgesheehan.com/essays/essay17.html
Last edited by: BK14: Dec 20, 07 12:52
Quote Reply

Prev Next