Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Hand in the pocket" Downhill Running Drill
Quote | Reply
This past weekend, I was running with a group of guys down a gradual 4-8% downhill for 2K. I noticed lots of the guys overstriding and really twisting in the upper body. I have the same problem myself. When I catch myself overstriding on downhills, I try the "hand in the pocket drill". Basically I run along with zero armswing with my hands almost on my hips. I keep my belly button pointed straight in the direction that I am running. No twisting of the upper body allowed.

Immediately, you'll notice a few things. Aside from a still upper body with zero wasted motion, you end up being really light on the feet. You also end up running a higher cadence.

I also try variations of this drill. When I do 10x30 second accelerations with 90 second easy, on alternate accelerations, I'll do the same drill and try to move my legs as fast as they can possibly go. Immediately, I notice the lack of twisting in the upper body, and the lightness on the feet.

On a long run, when your cadence is dropping, if you do this drill, you can bring your cadence up too.

To keep the "position of your hands honest", pick up two small pebbles from the side of the road and lightly hold them in your fists. These pebbles will give you great feedback on what your hands are doing.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: "Hand in the pocket" Downhill Running Drill [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5, 4, 3, 2, 1

enter Paulo, stage right

;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: "Hand in the pocket" Downhill Running Drill [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If people are overstriding and twisting on downhills it would seem that this problem would be part of an already present problem with their technique. To run downhill you need to relax, lean forward slightly, keep your knees soft, breath easy, and let gravity do its thing. I don't know how this drill would be helpful, but I will have to test it out for myself.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a similar drill where I keep my hands on my hips. Looks and feels odd, but it helps me to keep the movement coming from my hips and to minimize unnecessary upper body movement. I use it on flats as well as hills.
Last edited by: ST: Sep 27, 06 13:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev:

'These pebbles will give you great feedback on what your hands are doing. '

I'm sorry Dev, but how will the pebbles give me feedback?
Quote Reply
Re: "Hand in the pocket" Downhill Running Drill [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of us generally can't tell where the hands (or any body parts) are in space.

Most of us have very poor spatial perception of what we are doing vs the reality of what we are really doing. Usually we are shocked when we see video of our form as it has no relation to the perception of what we thought we are doing.

Holding two small pebbles in your hands immediately gives you feedback and not just that, it eliminates any of that flopping of the wrists and dropping of the hands that is so prevelant when people get tired.
Quote Reply
Re: "Hand in the pocket" Downhill Running Drill [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Etocaj, you mentioned, "To run downhill you need to relax, lean forward slightly, keep your knees soft, breath easy, and let gravity do its thing". You'll still be doing all of these things while doing this drill. In fact, you might find it surprisingly relaxing as all the motion goes in straight line vs fighting your own body and gravity while twisting and overstriding.

Try it and let us know.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: "Hand in the pocket" Downhill Running Drill [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and hold the pebbles lightly, not in a clenched fist. This way, if you start flopping your wrists, you'll feel the pebbles moving inside your hand. Let me know how it works.
Quote Reply
Re: "Hand in the pocket" Downhill Running Drill [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
5, 4, 3, 2, 1

enter Paulo, stage right

;-)
He does this on purpose... I know he does... it's the only logical explanation...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a similar drill with a specially designed running jacket. The whole thing ended poorly...

Last edited by: mike_h: Sep 27, 06 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: "Hand in the pocket" Downhill Running Drill [mike_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, is that what they do in Calgary....no wonder the place is filled with fast guys. If you can be fast in a tri suit like that, you'll fly in your deSoto!

You need to keep your legs "free..."
Quote Reply
Re: "Hand in the pocket" Downhill Running Drill [mike_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! Exactly! I was looking for the right imagery, but you got it!

I am now imagining Dev Paul, running downhill in a straight-jacket... I would also increase my cadence, a face-plant with a straight-jacket is not a pretty thing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike_H is still working on his tri suit but is leaning towards the retro-Gordo style speedo. Here's a photo of Mike in action at IMCDA

Kyle Marcotte
Team Timex Multisport
http://teamtimex.timexblogs.com/ - http://calgarytriandbike.blogspot.com/ - http://twitter.com/dukyle/
Last edited by: dukyle: Sep 27, 06 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I do this with or without my aero helmet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Great thread and great tip, thanks. The majority of triathletes use their arms way to much.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply