Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Girls on the Run" Youth Program
Quote | Reply
An email made its way around my son's school looking for parents to help with a program to teach life skills to adolescent girls through a running training program called "Girls on the Run" (search the term for all you ever cared to know about the program). I contacted the leader to see if they wanted help from a dad, and I got an enthusiastic "yes!", essentially because I am (1) an experienced runner and (2) willing and able to show up 2x/wk at 3 pm for their training sessions. Unlike ST, they don't think a 3:50 marathon is slow. :)

So far, so good.

Here's where things get a little weird, at least to me. First off, they want to charge their students/participants a pretty steep fee of ~$150. Why they need so much money for a ten week program run on volunteer labor and no real fixed costs I cannot figure out. Yes, they offer discounts to needy families, but the full-fare cost seems huge. Also, along with the documents I expected to get (consent to background check, training requirements, etc etc) I get a non-compete agreement (!!) asserting what amounts to a copyright over their materials and curriculum, and a pledge from me not to offer any similar program in our county except through them, or develop a similar program within two years of working with them. I have never, ever heard of a 501(c)3 org seeking a non-compete from a volunteer.

The lawyer in me can chuckle at this as being laughably unenforceable, but the bigger worry is that I may be committing one of the classic blunders here, possibly only behind becoming involved in a land war in Asia, or going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Someone in the ST universe has dealt with these folks, so please put me at ease. Tell me the program is great, the girls have a great time, they all get some fitness, some even learn to like running. Tell me all the cash doesn't go for bloated overhead and fundraising. Quiet the voice in my head telling me to run away from this now.

K? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: "Girls on the Run" Youth Program [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know they have a program in my neighboring county and have talked to them at a booth they had at a local race. It all sounded good.
As for the non-compete, I don't see any red flags from them protecting their intellectual property. I would like to know about their cost structure. As a non-profit are their financial statements available?
Quote Reply
Re: "Girls on the Run" Youth Program [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should clarify: I have no problem with anyone wanting their intellectual property respected. It just seems weird for a 501c3 to assert some sort of proprietary interest in the idea of coaching kids' running.

I also donate to a local blood bank, and they have not asserted any claim to prevent me from bleeding for another organization down the road. A "non-compete" (the term seems laughable in this context) just shoots up red flags to me. Thanks for your note.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All that is news to me on the cost and non-compete. One of Katy's and my tri clubmates used to run the org. here in SF. Yes, they do really good things and a number of our tri club people have volunteered.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good group. All volunteer. I suspect a volunteer lawyer drafted something up for them and they got volunteer results.

They do raise money a variety of ways for local programs and often waive their fees when appropriate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend was a volunteer with the local GOTR and had a good experience. The women who started the one in our area were both very involved and seemed to be doing some good things. I did some research out of curiousity because it sounded like something my sister would really enjoy doing, it didn't exist yet where she is, and I was also curious where the money was going. At the time, there was much more detailed information available on their website about starting it up. It seemed the registration fees went to the following:

-recoup of initial fee to national GOTR (was a fairly sizeable upfront fee)
-fees to national GOTR for curriculum
-training of coaches, CPR certs, etc
-local GOTR event (5k)
-subsidize program in lower income areas
-paid coaches (where my girlfriend volunteered the 'lead' coaches were paid)

I stopped looking for more info, but you could probably get data on where the national GOTR money goes. I think that it really depends on the local organization if they're 'doing good' or trying to make money- it's essentially a franchise. So, if you like the people running it and you hear good things, go for it. When done right, it sounds like it can have an impact. I think her biggest complaint was the curriculum's worship of Molly Barker, the founder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was started as a for-profit business then switched to a non-profit status to be able to operate with lower margins. The local franchises pay the national company for the material, hence the non-compete. There are lots of other 'girl-power' programs like this centered around wilderness camping, rock-climbing , kayaking, sailing, etc. It's all basically corporate 'team-building' BS sold to parents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic program just started here locally. It's more of a nationwide franchise based program the usual run mentoring club. So far I've been very impressed. Our Foundation has supported them financially and the girls used our December race to complete their fall race objective (their original race being iced out in a freak cold snap here). I am not surprised there is a noncompete clause. It would protect them from volunteers simply copying their program after participating - and the program is somewhat unique. It also a top down program instead of a local program going national.

I don't specifically know where all the dollars go nationally (they have what looks to be a very good website and resources for local chapters), but I see tangible results on the back end around here so far (20 girls running their 5k in 45F rain....most of them with a parent or mentor that is also new to running). Enough results that I feel like our donation was well worthwhile. It has also gotten many women in our local running community involved as volunteers again. Working with kids, especially those 'at risk' kids that can benefit from an esteem/sports program can be a giant challenge. As my husband says whenever I get frustrated with the attrition rates :"if they had parents and family that supported getting them more active or involved, they wouldn't be 'at risk' kids to start with...". I don't know what your local options are, but around here their program is one of the most successful running programs for kids I've seen.

The adults that I have talked to that participated as Solemates or mentors have had glowing reviews of the program FWIW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ElGordo - Maybe I'm being cynical, but I'm sure the background checks aren't cheap...b2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last random thought is maybe they want to set the price high enough so you don't get lots of mothers wanting cheap childcare...again, not knowing their overhead/insurance/labor costs probably drives the cost up...b2
Quote Reply
Re: "Girls on the Run" Youth Program [buddyblanke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years back when I had to request them for volunteers for a job I was at, They were something like $20 per person from the state of Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: "Girls on the Run" Youth Program [buddyblanke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ElGordo - Maybe I'm being cynical, but I'm sure the background checks aren't cheap...b2
No, no, I thought of that. I have to believe a check can be run for less than a couple hundred per coach (there are three listed for this group), so that still leaves us way short of the supposed $3500 that 20 kids' families will kick in. I know insurance isn't free either (I just re-upped for our tri club). The skeptic in me remains, but I have heard enough good things to at least give it a shot.

I will report back when it's all over. Thanks to you and everyone who took a moment to respond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
El Gordo,

Here is the 2009 tax return for Girls on the Run Annapolis. Based on your profile, I made an assumption that this might be the program you're working with. If this isn't the correct program, you can find tax filings for ALL 501(c)(3) organizations on the internet as they're required to publish their 3 most recent tax filings. This one looks to be running pretty close to break-even, although the council director isn't a volunteer!

As for the propriety of the coaching materials, as the director of a youth track and cross-country program for 6-16 year olds, I can tell you first hand that developing our 16 week track training program for distance and sprint athletes of varying abilities was a huge undertaking involving a lot of hours and several years of working with the kids to get it right (or at least close). Unfortunately, these programs aren't available on the web and while I don't make any of my coaches sign non-competes I also don't provide them with access to the Excel-based versions since there are quite a few formulas that go into determining the various training intensities and volumes.

http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/...180_200905_990EZ.pdf
Quote Reply