Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"For a rider who only does up to six time trials a year it’s ridiculous to have an aero-optimized position"
Quote | Reply
What do you think of this?

"TT Bike fit
For a rider who only does up to six time trials a year it’s ridiculous to have an aero-optimized position. The difference in time between a modified normal road position and an aero position will be negated by the loss of power and stress on the rider. Tests at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, for example, have shown that riders are most powerful in the position in which they most commonly train. Their research has also shown that for an aero-optimized position to outweigh drawbacks, a rider needs to train more than three hours a week in that position. "

http://www.bike.com/...mp;lsectiondirectory=

I agree, but I think 1-3 hours per week are all that are needed in the aerobars for up to a 40k TT to build comfort and power.

Good article though.
Quote Reply
Re: "For a rider who only does up to six time trials a year it’s ridiculous to have an aero-optimized position" [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect they mean six time trials in addition to 15 road races (at least 3 NRC or UCI 1.5) and 20+ Criteriums. Possibly even a few stage races or Grand Tours.

Increasing awareness for suffers of DGS (Diminished Gluteal Syndrome).
Quote Reply
Re: "For a rider who only does up to six time trials a year it’s ridiculous to have an aero-optimized position" [UCSD racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he means 6 total.

Frame of mind is that the rider probably does not care much about TT and only rides them in stage races when they have to.

What do you think of the "3 hour per week" requirement?
Quote Reply
Re: "For a rider who only does up to six time trials a year it’s ridiculous to have an aero-optimized position" [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3+ hours per week seems reasonable. Going up a few degrees of seat tube angle and closing up body's front end relative to a road position would definitely be quite a stress on the average rider. I know it's hurt me in the past. I did Fiesta just slightly more aggressive (maybe a 2 degree increase in STA at most) and I felt strong and comfortable still. If I had tried to go aero-optimized (seat post head flipped), I probably would've posted a slower time.

I think of it kind of like doing 10 mile runs while training for a 5k. If you're used to the position for a significant time longer than your event, then you'll be ready come race time.

Increasing awareness for suffers of DGS (Diminished Gluteal Syndrome).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the operative term is "training." Yes, if you never train in the aero position, then having an extreme TT setup dedicated bike is probably "ridiculous." You'll do better in that instance with shorty aero bars on a standard setup. But folks who train extensively in the aero position will be better on a TT setup.

As far as the 1-3 hours....I think 3 hours is sufficient depending on the total amount of riding, and how aggressive your normal road position is relative to your TT position. 3 hours is roughly 30-40% of my weekly cycling hours, though. I split my workouts 50/50 between road and TT, at least until peaking when I'll do all of my long rides on the TT bike as well.
During peak and race phases I'll often be doing 90% of my riding on the TT bike...but I'm a multisport guy...not just a cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are a stage race rider you might only do 6 TT's per year, but those TT's will be of critical importance to your overall results. I know I am comfortable with a different position on my TT bike, I do try and get out on the bike once per week for 2 hours to do intervals. Lance probably doesnt do much more than 6 TT's per year, but they tend to be important.
Quote Reply