Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes
Quote | Reply
Given the saturation of weight-paranoid posts that this forum is seeing ("I can't lose weight," "I can't gain weight," "I can't sustain consistent weight"), perhaps it would be useful to find out if it is a valid concern given performance of similarly or dissimilarly built athletes.

Who are the skinniest (height/weight ratio) or "fattest" successful triathletes, HIM, or IM finishers that you know of?

Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [The_Aesthete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Given the saturation of weight-paranoid posts that this forum is seeing ("I can't lose weight," "I can't gain weight," "I can't sustain consistent weight"), perhaps it would be useful to find out if it is a valid concern given performance of similarly or dissimilarly built athletes.

Who are the skinniest (height/weight ratio) or "fattest" successful triathletes, HIM, or IM finishers that you know of?

Skinniest I can think of is Matty Reed at 6'5" and about 145 lbs
I'll say biggest, as I wouldn't call him fat would be Ain Alar Juhanson who is 6'4" and about 220 pounds

http://train4autism.org/
Last edited by: coltank17: Apr 24, 10 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [coltank17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe Reed is only 145lbs...really? At 5' 10" and 138lbs I'm constantly having everyone tell me to "eat a sandwich".

-Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I'll say biggest, as I wouldn't call him fat would be Ain Alar Juhanson who is 6'4" and about 220 pounds

Errr, you are off on Matty by about 35 lbs. dude. I'm 6'1" 180 and have stood next to him on 2 occasions.....he ain't 145. According to this site he is 179.....

http://www.sports-reference.com/...re/matty-reed-1.html
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [The_Aesthete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fattest one is that middle-aged woman who stalks me round the world and always ends up in my finisher photos, downgrading my achievement.
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [wiffcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Errr, you are off on Matty by about 35 lbs. dude. I'm 6'1" 180 and have stood next to him on 2 occasions.....he ain't 145. According to this site he is 179.....

http://www.sports-reference.com/...re/matty-reed-1.html

Nickname:
"Boom Boom", "Matty"
Nationality:
American
Date of Birth:
8 November 1975
Place of Birth:
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Residence:
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Height:
6’5” (1.96m)
Weight:
146 lbs (66kg)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the link:
http://www.triathlon.org/...ofiles/matt-reed.pdf

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about that weightlifter guy who absolutely rips the cranks off the bike? Luther White, is that his name?

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't know what to tell ya b/c you certainly have a PDF there with his profile, but there are multiple sites showing him at closer to 180...here is another one from ESPN's Beijing mini-site. He was significantly taller than me when I met him at St. Anthony's, but it's impossible he was 35 lbs. less than me, no way. Here is his Olympic Profile from the ESPN Beijing site...whatever it's just impossible he weighs 145 lbs.....no way in the world.

http://sports.espn.go.com/...ide/athlete?id=19555

The only reason I put this up here is b/c I don't want to read about some impressionable young 6'5" kid going concentration camp skinny trying to emulate Matty's purported 145 lb. weight b/c if he were that would mean he was dying in a hospital bed....he is not 145 lbs, impossible.

As a point of ref I think Jordan is a couple of inches shorter and is still 160ish.....Matty has a significantly more muscular build than Jordan to boot.....no way the dude is 145.
Last edited by: wiffcheese: Apr 24, 10 13:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here is the link:http://www.triathlon.org/...ofiles/matt-reed.pdf[/reply[/url]]

I believe matty has come on here himself and stated that he races around 175 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By successful, I'm going to assume you are referring to the Pro ranks. I'm sure their are countless "semi-full-figuired" AGers who have been "sucessful".

Juergen Zack was certainly not fat in the classic sense of the word, no sucessful pro was or is. But, he was not a paper thin guy like many of the elites either. I'd call him solid. Another guy who comes to mind was Mathias Klump of Germany, now also retired. He was a big boy, and plenty fast.

Back in the 80's there was a guy from Saskatchewan (I believe) who was always way up there at IMC. He went by the knickname "Moose", a big fella who could really roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jurgen Zack, Rob Mackle, Garrett MacFadyen, Jan Ripple, Wendy Ingraham, to name a few successful "bigger" triathletes.

http://noel-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [knightlancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I understand your pain. I couldn't buy my Boston Marathon photo because some guy was running along side of me in a pink tu tu and a magic wand. Kind of embarrassing even though it was a reasonable 3:14 but no way was I gonna get that finisher photo.
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [knightlancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The fattest one is that middle-aged woman who stalks me round the world and always ends up in my finisher photos, downgrading my achievement.

Are you talking about fellow Slowtwitcher Mike Bey? If you are, he's a friend of mine and you are going to have to put up your dukes! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no way he is 6'5" and 145. That is insanely skinny. I am 6'2", 170 and have very little body fat and like the last poster get told on a regular basis to go eat something.
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [tntri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is no way he is 6'5" and 145. That is insanely skinny. I am 6'2", 170 and have very little body fat and like the last poster get told on a regular basis to go eat something.

Hey, I was just going by what I read. A friend of mine in High School was 6'5" and 140, although he could not run swim or bike anything like Matty. We called him Q-Tip.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Hey, I was just going by what I read. A friend of mine in High School was 6'5" and 140, although he could not run swim or bike anything like Matty. We called him Q-Tip.

Last I talked to Matty he was 176-179 lbs. This is straight from his mouth. That spec is wrong, way wrong. I am just slightly taller than him at 6'6" and 175 and he is thicker than I am.

Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [tootalltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6'5 and 168. I talked to Matt at worlds, and no way is he skinner than me. 180, I could believe, 150, nope.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [Greggor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it this guy????

I've run into him at two marathons, Boston and Las Vegas. He's an ultra runner, apparently.
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [wiffcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a point of ref I think Jordan is a couple of inches shorter and is still 160ish.....Matty has a significantly more muscular build than Jordan to boot.....no way the dude is 145.

There is no way Matt Reed is 145. Now Jordan Rapp and I are both 6'2" and a legit 160 and, by most people's books and looks that's pretty darn skinny. He's way faster than I ever was. Not sure how he develops all those watts with the same scrawny chicken like legs that we share and zero upper body bulk, but he does it!

The topper, and I need to only talk about this in certain circles, was that when I stopped serious tri training a while back, I actually lost a few pounds!

Which leads to the, "Are you racing?" question almost everywhere I go. I wrote a blog about this when I was in Hawaii last year at IMH and not racing.

http://stevefleck.blogspot.com/.../are-you-racing.html

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 24, 10 17:15
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [tntri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I am 6'2.5" and 160 pounds. I think I am the twig of ST. I have to eat a mountain of food just to stay at 160. I can pretty easily get down to 156.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That's hilarious!

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's just that "TV adds 15 lbs", but Hillary Biscay always looks like a little porker to me when I see the Ironman broadcasts. I've seen her once in person, at IMAZ 2 yrs ago, but she was riding past me so fast that I couldn't properly size her hips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the female pros I've seen in person, Chrissie Wellington is the skinniest. She is super, super lean. I saw her at Nytro shortly after Hawaii, you could see every vein in her upper arms.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: "Fattest" and skinniest successful triathletes [Lactone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hillary Biscay is hot! Not even close to a "porker". She is a stud and races more in two weeks than some pros do in a season. I am a big fan.
Quote Reply

Prev Next