Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Fast tires and tubes"
Quote | Reply
I've heard people discuss these and was wondering if someone could explain to me what makes tires or tubes "fast" and where I can buy these.

Also, is there a noticeable gain in using fast tires and tubes over 40km or 90km?
Quote Reply
Re: "Fast tires and tubes" [jakobsandberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are various factors such as design, rolling resistance, width, compound and others which dictate whether a tyre is fast(er) than others.

With regards to tubes, latex are generally considered faster than standard buytl tubes.

The gains would be greatest if you came from a very slow, poor rolling set of tyres (gatorskins) to a nice fast set of tyres (conti 4000) and in this case, they would be noticeable.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a general rule, the more flexible the tyres and tubes are, the faster they are since there is less resistance (loss of energy) to the small deflection that occurs at the road contact patch as the wheel rotates.

I don't know if you could call it noticeable, but it is certainly measurable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A "noticeable gain". Any gain is noticeable if you measure very carefully, but almost no bike equipment changes are obviously noticeable just from riding around.

However, if you currently race on gatorskins, or armadillos or other super durable flat resistant tires, then yes, swapping on some good race tires and latex tubes IS noticeable. This is not some mundane detail. It will likely be noticeably faster AND more comfortable.

What makes a tire faster? Two things, the main one being rolling resistance. Your tire material has to squish, every inch of it squishing over and over continuously as new tire rolls down to the surface of the road. The tube has to do the same thing. The more supple and pliable the material is, the less energy it takes to squish.

Fortunately there are some good sets of data on tire rolling resistance we can all refer to for this. Google the "AFM CRR Chart" and you should be able to dig up a copy.

The other factor is aerodynamics. Some tires just happened to be shaped in a way that is aero when they are new. This matters a lot more on the front wheel than the rear. Continental's tires, the Bontrager R4, are known to be aero. The Vittoria tires are known to not be as aero.

Some great tire options:
Continental GP4000S - aero shape, decent rolling resistance, good durability

Continental Attack - narrower than the 4000, great rolling resistance, reasonable durability

Continental SuperSonic - comes in 20mm super narrow size, NO puncture belt. VERY fast but should only be used when risk of a flat is low.

Bontrager R4 Aero - aero shape, slightly narrow, good crr, decent durability

There are others but those are some good options

jakobsandberg wrote:
I've heard people discuss these and was wondering if someone could explain to me what makes tires or tubes "fast" and where I can buy these.

Also, is there a noticeable gain in using fast tires and tubes over 40km or 90km?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Feb 8, 13 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, you will notice a difference if you switch from bomb proof tires/tubes to "race day" tires/tubes.

My personal experience: I train with extra thick butyl tubes with Kevlar reinforced non-folding tires. I race with latex tubes and either Bontrager R4, Vittoria Open Corsa, or Conti GP400s tires. First off, I drop about a pound to my bike just like that. The tires feel so much nice under me. I am more confident while riding with them, and yes, my speed does increase. All those factors put together makes me NOTICE a big difference.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: "Fast tires and tubes" [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were riding a trainer... say for a Computrainer TT "race" would a low rr tire and latex tube be of any benefit over say a gatorskin and butyl tube?
Quote Reply
Re: "Fast tires and tubes" [Zoom_zoom_Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zoom_zoom_Ben wrote:
If you were riding a trainer... say for a Computrainer TT "race" would a low rr tire and latex tube be of any benefit over say a gatorskin and butyl tube?

not if they do a rolldown calibration properly

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: "Fast tires and tubes" [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
another reason why my indoor tt today and tomorrow is going to suck, no benefit from nice equipment or position. these are the reasons i usually avoid these things
Quote Reply
Re: "Fast tires and tubes" [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
A "noticeable gain". Any gain is noticeable if you measure very carefully, but almost no bike equipment changes are obviously noticeable just from riding around.

However, if you currently race on gatorskins, or armadillos or other super durable flat resistant tires, then yes, swapping on some good race tires and latex tubes IS noticeable. This is not some mundane detail. It will likely be noticeably faster AND more comfortable.

What makes a tire faster? Two things, the main one being rolling resistance. Your tire material has to squish, every inch of it squishing over and over continuously as new tire rolls down to the surface of the road. The tube has to do the same thing. The more supple and pliable the material is, the less energy it takes to squish.

Fortunately there are some good sets of data on tire rolling resistance we can all refer to for this. Google the "AFM CRR Chart" and you should be able to dig up a copy.

The other factor is aerodynamics. Some tires just happened to be shaped in a way that is aero when they are new. This matters a lot more on the front wheel than the rear. Continental's tires, the Bontrager R4, are known to be aero. The Vittoria tires are known to not be as aero.

Some great tire options:
Continental GP4000S - aero shape, decent rolling resistance, good durability

Continental Attack - narrower than the 4000, great rolling resistance, reasonable durability

Continental SuperSonic - comes in 20mm super narrow size, NO puncture belt. VERY fast but should only be used when risk of a flat is low.

Bontrager R4 Aero - aero shape, slightly narrow, good crr, decent durability

There are others but those are some good options

jakobsandberg wrote:

I'd say that the diff between Gatorskin like bricks :-) and 4000S/Attack/Force is huge but a jump to Veloflex Corsa or Vittos Open Corsa CX or SC will make it even bigger. Corsa CX has a new version (III) with ISOGrip compound which might make this tire especially great; have not tested them yet.

----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
http://www.tiremaniacs.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Fast tires and tubes" [Tiremaniacs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and I forgot to mention - the above tires combined with latex tubes will make it one of the fastest. Another super fast choice is Schwalbe Ultremo ZLX but this rubber has no puncture protection belt at all - a little risky business but so supple and fast.

----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
http://www.tiremaniacs.com
Quote Reply