Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Epic" weeks and IM - timing question
Quote | Reply
While the term epic is relative, I was wondering what everyone thought with regard to timing. How far out from an Ironman is ideal? Is there such a thing as too early? What is the latest you would include such a big week? Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: "Epic" weeks and IM - timing question [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually time my last big ('epic') week to end about 5 weeks before my IM if I am not racing that weekend. This seems to work well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know if this helps, but a friend just did epic camp NZ in preparation for IM NZ... the camp finished on January 21st, which if my math serves me correctly leaves 6 weeks to the race (March 5th).

I don't know what would be considered too early or too late... but I'm guessing 6 weeks +/- a week would be ideal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second that 5 weeks out is the closest I would go. Still leaves you 3 weeks of solid training time to absorb the work and then 2 weeks for a taper (or a tapir, if you prefer).

But last year I did one 4 months out just to pile on some cycling volume.

Now, just having read my coach's thoughts on structuring bike training (http://cruciblefitness.com/...ic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3626), not sure how the "epic" weekends fit in other than for some good old-fashioned over distance work.

Fact is, there are so many variables to creating the "ideal" training for this sport that I'm convinced that the more you just have fun (within the context of some sort of structure), the better you will get. Where fun to me equals pushing myself really, really hard on a regular basis, and then doing some "bigger" events like nasty 200K+ rides, lots of running, the usual suspects.

That being said, if I'm training for IM distance, fun doesn't include a lot of short races--some, yes, but not too many.
Quote Reply