Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Endurance" shorts: Pearl Izumi Ultra, North Face BTN, Patagonia Strider Pro... anything else?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any experience with any of these shorts? I have the PI Ultra 5" Splits (love them) and the NF Better Than Naked (hated the liner)... haven't tried Patagonia's Strider Pro shorts, tho... They are all 5" inseam (not too long, not too short), with a split leg (to accommodate my powerful leg drive? lol), and multiple storage pockets for nutrition...

Especially interested in hearing from anyone who has tried the Patagonia shorts, or anyone who knows of another brand that meets the above requirements...

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: "Endurance" shorts: Pearl Izumi Ultra, North Face BTN, Patagonia Strider Pro... anything else? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of the Brooks 5" Sherpa shorts. They're very lightweight and fast drying. I consistently run when it's 80+ and very humid, and they're the only shorts I have that don't feel heavy with soaked sweat after long runs.

As a bonus, last year's colors have been on sale everywhere, including Brooks.com (which has free shipping). I like the PI shorts, too, but find the Brooks to be more comfortable in hot conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: "Endurance" shorts: Pearl Izumi Ultra, North Face BTN, Patagonia Strider Pro... anything else? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? Man, I have never found a pair of Brooks shorts that I like :-( I prefer my outlet Nikes :-)

But, specifically looking for something with a split and several close fitting pockets (as opposed to regular old side-pockets)

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: "Endurance" shorts: Pearl Izumi Ultra, North Face BTN, Patagonia Strider Pro... anything else? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Patagonia Striders (not Pro) and I love them. Super light, comfortable liner, and they've held up well for a couple years. The only thing I don't like is that there is only one small internal pocket (big enough for a key or maybe one gel) but it doesn't look like that's an issue on the Pro's. Also, I'd caution that they aren't really splits - they have an indentation in the leg but it's not two separate overlapping pieces like traditional splits.
Quote Reply
Re: "Endurance" shorts: Pearl Izumi Ultra, North Face BTN, Patagonia Strider Pro... anything else? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks for the good word :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arcteryx Soleus
It's got a split up the sides, decently long inseam, built-in brief and 5 pockets.
I could probably store 12 gels in it, if I really wanted to.

This one pair of shorts basically made my entire wardrobe obsolete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the patagonia. They are my favorite long distance short, hands down. Comfy, no chaffing and the pocket design is awesome. No issue with gels bouncing. Its kinda like a figure 8 on how the pockets are designed to hold down. I strictly go them on all training runs in the mnts of plus 20 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: "Endurance" shorts: Pearl Izumi Ultra, North Face BTN, Patagonia Strider Pro... anything else? [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sim wrote:
Arcteryx Soleus
It's got a split up the sides, decently long inseam, built-in brief and 5 pockets.
I could probably store 12 gels in it, if I really wanted to.

This one pair of shorts basically made my entire wardrobe obsolete.

See, this is why I posted this... here is a cool pair of shorts from a brand that I have never heard of. Many thanks, bud :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arcteryx is more known for mountaineering stuff (which is also top notch), but they expanded their offerings for running-type activities a couple years ago.
I've got quite a few of their items, and it's generally the best stuff I have ever used
I'd take my (previous) favorite garment and wish it had that *little bit extra*. The Arcteryx stuff is a little bit more expensive than the rest, but you always get something extra for the price you pay.
Quote Reply