Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Easy week", feedback and opinion pls
Quote | Reply
I am quite happy with my 2 weeks hard, 1 week easy (easier anyway) approach but I am wondering about the difference, if any, between these approaches for the easy week:

1. Turn 1 (or 2) training day(s) into rest day(s), keep the rest the same

2. Keep number of workouts, but reduce length, e.g. 6 mile run instead of a normal 9 mile run

3. Keep number and length of workouts, but reduce intensity.

4. Mix and match. e.g. keep the long ride, but reduce rest.

Feedback appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: "Easy week", feedback and opinion pls [jacknine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, what has worked best is to find a consistent training pattern and take a break when body or work/family issues call for it.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Last edited by: Terra-Man: Jun 12, 07 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most peoples easy week on here is a hard week for me, at least that's what it sounds like but...... I have a sprint this weekend so my week is....

M- 1400 swim
T- 20 mile bike, moderate intensity
Wed- 4 x 800 at 5k pace
Thursday- some light core work
Friday- Zip
Saturday- Race Day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the athlete's ability to recover, the goal, the time of the season...

Typically I have my athletes go easy during the recovery week through a combination of your #2 and #3, then some harder or longer sessions on the weekend (depending on the focus).

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: "Easy week", feedback and opinion pls [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree with the general approach, though many ST'ers will. I know my body is relatively constant, so 3 weeks hard then 1 week easy works well. Anytime I try to extend to more weeks, I only get a few days beyond 3 weeks and I really feel the fatigue. Based on what others say regarding just going hard until you need the rest, I can only assume that their bodies and/or training stress is much more variable.

Having said that, I reduce both intensity and volume, but primarily intensity. But I think you need to find which is the primary stressor for your body. Some people use low milage systems, because they cannot tolerate volume as well. If you are like that, then I would cut volume first. Others respond well to the More Is More, which may mean they don't tolerate high intensity as well. This is the case for me; I can keep volume up without feeling fatigue, but the intense workouts just kill me.

So, figure out which works best for you by trial and error. You can probably take a good guess just by knowing which leaves you feeling more fatigued the next day, a long workout or a hard workout.

Paul

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply