Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom
Quote | Reply
First, this is not a sneaky marketing ploy. I asked Dan for permission to post this and I'm honestly seeking some feedback from you fine folks. Okay, disclaimer out of the way.

A little primer to begin. Anyone who's done extensive aero testing knows one of the major time/money sucks is adjusting the client's bike. Moving aero bars up or down, in or out...it can take a lot of time, and therefore wastes a lot of money. For velodrome testing, this also has a secondary negative effect on the athlete because they stiffen up while waiting, and the results are impacted, sometimes significantly. What I've always wanted was to ditch the client's bike, and instead use a rolling fit bike for position, helmets, clothing, etc. Take the bike out of the equation, allow quick adjustments, and be more efficient and more accurate.

A little over a year ago, Nick Salazar from TriRig showed me the drawings for his Alpha One aero bar, and I immediately recognized he was giving me a solution for the above problem. That bar turned any bike it would fit into a semi-fit bike. Adjustments that might take 15-30 minutes before would now take seconds. It would save time, money, and be far more accurate. I envisioned conducting a fit on our fit bike in the studio, replicating the position on a bike with an Alpha One, and then heading down to the track to test different variations of the fit to find the athlete's most aero position. The athlete would be simultaneously testing the position for comfort and power, so he/she would know whether or not it would work for them. No longer would an aero test take 2-3 hours, we could now test several positions in 1 hour or less. Less time on the track means less cost, so the price of aero testing could be reduced, and certainly I knew once we had an aero stick we could trust, well, outside is a lot cheaper than a velodrome or wind tunnel. I now had a way to very quickly quantify position changes, and provide another level of bike fit not previously possible; at least not at a reasonable price point. And that, folks, is the idea behind our new "ERO Dynamic" service. As an add-on to your fit, or as a stand alone service, we use our own bike fleet, coupled with Alpha One aero bars, to quickly and efficiently test position either on the velodrome or in the wind tunnel. The question was, what bike should I use?

I actually had two "major" brands offering up bikes, and Nick had very generously offered to provide me with Alpha One's. The two bike brands were perfectly good bikes, and I (& you) would've been happy using either of them, but then Nick stepped in and asked why I didn't want to use his Omni bike? Honestly, I would never have had the courage to ask. Just the offer of the aero bars was more than I could ever expect. TriRig has obviously been successful, but it's still a small operation compared to the companies I was talking to, and I thought requesting the use of Omni's would be going way too far. Well, to keep this short, we now have a size run of Omni's with Alpha One's! The service is officially "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" and I'm thrilled to be partnering with Nick on this.

That's the background, but now I need some feedback. The service will be exactly what I describe above, but it can also be used for quick testing of helmets and clothing. So, I have some questions. Some are regarding price, so be realistic for me. We can't give away our time.
  1. For position testing, which would last about an hour on the velodrome, or 20 minutes in a wind tunnel (I can explain how that would work later), what would you expect to pay? Current velodrome aero test price is $699 for 2 hours. One hour in the San Diego tunnel, which we'll be using, is ~$800, but you can't really reserve the tunnel for just one hour.
  2. If you wanted to test 1 helmet vs another, or one item of clothing vs another, what would you expect to pay? This could be accomplished very quickly with helmets, but let's say these would be 30 minute tests on the velodrome. Much quicker in the tunnel with proper planning depending on how many yaw sweeps you want.
  3. Would it be more attractive to you if part of the testing payment went towards the purchase of the chosen helmet or clothing delivered to your door a few days after your test?
  4. Do you think it would be better to have a set per item price for testing helmets or clothing? $100 per item. $50 per item? etc.
  5. We're considering touring the U.S. with this service. We would be conducting both fits and aero testing. Is this of interest to you? And, yes, I would be fitting.
  6. In relation to the above, would you simply be interested in test riding an Omni? Would you pay a small fee to do so? Would you expect that fee to be applied to the purchase of an Omni if you decided you wanted the bike?
  7. Do you think this is better as an add-on to a fit, or a standalone service where we replicate your current position, and test variations? As an add-on, we can identify the changes we want to try on the fit bike prior to testing.
  8. Do you think it should cost less as an add-on rather than a standalone service?
  9. What don't you like about this service?
Lots of questions there. Don't feel like you need to answer them all; give me one answer, two...doesn't matter. Give me any feedback not related to the questions. I sincerely want to know what you think. I feel like this is taking bike fit to another level, and making it attractive cost-wise, but maybe I'm wrong? Let me know.

Thank you all in advance for your answers. I'll try to respond as quickly as possible to any questions you may have.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim, sounds great! I think this is all a great idea, and reminds me of some of the feedback we had way back in 2013 when things were just getting underway with your velodrome testing.

One quick question: I get that you can replicate rider position with your "fit bikes" - you can get the stack and reach to match the client, you can swap on their preferred saddle and pedals, but what do you do about crank length? I imagine that for a 6'0" rider, you'll have some that are on 175mm cranks (cue the ST snickers now) and some that will be down at 150mm, maybe even less.

PS Should have progress report on our upcoming project very soon.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have cranks lengths from 145mm to 175mm waiting to be swapped out in an instant.

I'll add that the Omni's have a 1X with an eTap rear derailleur. We use a blip box for shifting, so extensions can be quickly swapped out and moved fore/aft. We can also use the athlete's arm pad make/model so the position can be replicated as close as possible.

Can't wait to work on that project!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim

I’ll just comment on the the plan to ‘tour the USA’. That offers me a significant saving way above anything else:

-Flights (including bike) $350
- Two nights hotel $250
- Rental car $100
- Food etc $150

Add in airport parking, sundries and we’re talking up to $1000 just to get to you. Plus I need a full weekend. Probably need a Friday or Monday off work too.

Actually I’ll end up bringing my wife and making a weekend out of it - cost just went up to $1500+ for the travel.

Cost for you to travel to Texas and divided by 20 athletes - much cheaper for everyone!

Consider not the cost the person pays you, but the total cost the person pays.

Do it a la Kickstarter (but not with Kickstarter). Set a date, set a cost. We all pay upfront. If you get X number of people it’s on. If you don’t get the numbers 4 weeks prior you cancel and give everyone 100% refund. You don’t run any risk. We save money.

I vote Houston first!

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool idea.

Side question: Does anyone make a rideable dynamic fit bike? i.e. something with a remote control electrically adjustable saddle height, saddle fore-aft rail, motorised rails on the aero bar X/Y, crank plate with multiple pedal hole drillings, quick switch saddle bracket, etc.

Two way radio to the rider on a velodrome/outside loop, aero stick, power meter and speed sensors with radio transmitters, etc etc.

Or does that not add value until you've dialled in a reasonable fit on a stationary bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we find position A is fastest on the Omni, how do I know that position A is faster than position B or C or D on MY bike? It’s a system right?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
If we find position A is fastest on the Omni, how do I know that position A is faster than position B or C or D on MY bike? It’s a system right?

I could see that as a potential issue, but I doubt there is much in it. The things most of us are testing do not interact with the frame to a large degree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

5) Yes.

6) Yes.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Responses in bold below. The only downside to the Omni is there's no "XL" for taller folks but that's probably a very minor minority. Personally I love my Omni and I'm seriously considering selling my SC and Shiv to trim down my bike stable. I have a suspicion that running a round bottle on the top bosses ahead of the seat post has a very minor aero impact (have you tested it yet? It's on my agenda for this winter).

Jim@EROsports wrote:

1. For position testing, which would last about an hour on the velodrome, or 20 minutes in a wind tunnel (I can explain how that would work later), what would you expect to pay? Current velodrome aero test price is $699 for 2 hours. One hour in the San Diego tunnel, which we'll be using, is ~$800, but you can't really reserve the tunnel for just one hour. If you did it for $400 it would be an absolute steal and one of the best "aero" investments an athlete could make.
  2. If you wanted to test 1 helmet vs another, or one item of clothing vs another, what would you expect to pay? This could be accomplished very quickly with helmets, but let's say these would be 30 minute tests on the velodrome. Much quicker in the tunnel with proper planning depending on how many yaw sweeps you want. I kind of can't comment fairly without talking about what I've paid at A2 so...
  3. Would it be more attractive to you if part of the testing payment went towards the purchase of the chosen helmet or clothing delivered to your door a few days after your test? I think that's a novel concept. Let's say your service was $750 for two hours of testing and, at the end, you could buy the fastest helmet for 50% off. Knowing what I know now (e.g. all the buying of helmets off of eBay, field testing, going to A2...) I'd say that's a really good deal/investment.
  4. Do you think it would be better to have a set per item price for testing helmets or clothing? $100 per item. $50 per item? etc. You'd likely have a minimum anyways so I'm not sure if ala carte would help much.
  5. We're considering touring the U.S. with this service. We would be conducting both fits and aero testing. Is this of interest to you? And, yes, I would be fitting. Yes for sure. There's definitely demand here in FL but I'm not sure what you would use as a venue.
  6. In relation to the above, would you simply be interested in test riding an Omni? Would you pay a small fee to do so? Would you expect that fee to be applied to the purchase of an Omni if you decided you wanted the bike? If I were purchasing this service I would want the test bike included not a separate fee. If I were to, hypothetically, fly out to use your service it would be a much easier sell and be much more appealing if I didn't have to go through the hassle of packing my bike, checking it, etc. Much easier to just fly with carry on, uber, test, uber, and fly home. Keep in mind that a good chunk of your clientele are more constrained by time than they are by money. Of all of the feedback I could give you in this post, I hope you give this the most consideration (again with the caveat about taller peeps on the Omni).
  7. Do you think this is better as an add-on to a fit, or a standalone service where we replicate your current position, and test variations? As an add-on, we can identify the changes we want to try on the fit bike prior to testing. From my own perspective I'd like to just give you my current S/R have you set up a bike with those coordinates, baseline (unless you see something egregious first), then get to tweaking and testing. I'd imagine that the majority of your customers have already had some sort of prior fit and have fiddled a bit on their own.
  8. Do you think it should cost less as an add-on rather than a standalone service?
  9. What don't you like about this service?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5. Yes
6. NO. LBS lets me test ride bikes for free. Bike manufacturers at IM expos let you test ride their bikes for free. Why would I want to pay a fee to test ride an Omni?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My feedback:
  1. For position testing, which would last about an hour on the velodrome, or 20 minutes in a wind tunnel (I can explain how that would work later), what would you expect to pay? Current velodrome aero test price is $699 for 2 hours. One hour in the San Diego tunnel, which we'll be using, is ~$800, but you can't really reserve the tunnel for just one hour. If I am going to make the investment of time and money, I'm going to want to take more than an hour. Even if you can fit a complete position test in that time, I would want to then test position along with helmets and anything else with potentially significant impact. So even if the 1 hour session was $400, I would still probably lean towards the 2 hour session for $699, since I am already there. Maximize the opportunity
  2. If you wanted to test 1 helmet vs another, or one item of clothing vs another, what would you expect to pay? This could be accomplished very quickly with helmets, but let's say these would be 30 minute tests on the velodrome. Much quicker in the tunnel with proper planning depending on how many yaw sweeps you want. If $699 for 2 hours comes out to $350/ hour, then presumably these 30 minute sessions would need to cost at least $175. And since I imagine it would be tough to stack them back-to-back, you have some leakage there and so presumably would need to charge more than $175. So at that point, I think most would be better off with a longer session
  3. Would it be more attractive to you if part of the testing payment went towards the purchase of the chosen helmet or clothing delivered to your door a few days after your test? That sounds great, but then don't you have to cut deals with retailers to pass along the discount? That's more work/complexity for you. And the economics of the discount have to come from somewhere - if it comes from you, I don't think it's worth it. But I suppose this would all depend on the deal you could strike
  4. Do you think it would be better to have a set per item price for testing helmets or clothing? $100 per item. $50 per item? etc. I would prefer to pay by time. Removes any thought that you are rushing through a test (I know you wouldn't do this, but it nonetheless removes that thought from a client's mind) and conversely, covers you if a test takes longer than expected. There is always good use of testing time, even if only to further validate results from earlier in the session
  5. We're considering touring the U.S. with this service. We would be conducting both fits and aero testing. Is this of interest to you? And, yes, I would be fitting.
  6. In relation to the above, would you simply be interested in test riding an Omni? Would you pay a small fee to do so? Would you expect that fee to be applied to the purchase of an Omni if you decided you wanted the bike? I don't think I would expect to pay a fee to rest ride the Omni (or use it as a fitting tool in a test). I think Nick gets a lot of very serious athletes riding his bike, and I imagine he will convert a decent number of those athletes to Omni purchases. It makes sense from his perspective as sales & marketing spend
  7. Do you think this is better as an add-on to a fit, or a standalone service where we replicate your current position, and test variations? As an add-on, we can identify the changes we want to try on the fit bike prior to testing. Both an add-on and stand-alone service - makes sense for both
  8. Do you think it should cost less as an add-on rather than a standalone service? Yes
  9. What don't you like about this service? N/A

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [DanCT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DanCT wrote:
Hi Jim

I’ll just comment on the the plan to ‘tour the USA’. That offers me a significant saving way above anything else:

-Flights (including bike) $350
- Two nights hotel $250
- Rental car $100
- Food etc $150

Add in airport parking, sundries and we’re talking up to $1000 just to get to you. Plus I need a full weekend. Probably need a Friday or Monday off work too.

Actually I’ll end up bringing my wife and making a weekend out of it - cost just went up to $1500+ for the travel.

Cost for you to travel to Texas and divided by 20 athletes - much cheaper for everyone!

Consider not the cost the person pays you, but the total cost the person pays.

Do it a la Kickstarter (but not with Kickstarter). Set a date, set a cost. We all pay upfront. If you get X number of people it’s on. If you don’t get the numbers 4 weeks prior you cancel and give everyone 100% refund. You don’t run any risk. We save money.

I vote Houston first!

Dan

That's really great feedback. Thank you.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Cool idea.

Side question: Does anyone make a rideable dynamic fit bike? i.e. something with a remote control electrically adjustable saddle height, saddle fore-aft rail, motorised rails on the aero bar X/Y, crank plate with multiple pedal hole drillings, quick switch saddle bracket, etc.

Two way radio to the rider on a velodrome/outside loop, aero stick, power meter and speed sensors with radio transmitters, etc etc.

Or does that not add value until you've dialled in a reasonable fit on a stationary bike?

That would be fun, but likely way too heavy to ride, and not safe changing position on the fly. Probably a huge amount to develop something like that, too. Sure would be cool though, wouldn't it.

On a similar note, I'm convinced that someday we'll have tiny motors on our stems and seat posts that allow small adjustments during a ride. For instance, we have some Pro Tour riders who have a few different positions for their road bike. One, a regular everyday position, and another for climbing. Depending on what the day brings, that's the position they ride. Wouldn't it be cool to get to the bottom of a hill, press a button, and both the bars and saddle move into a "climbing" position?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

rruff has answered this already, but is correct. A fast position on one bike is a fast position on every bike. There's a Youtube video posted in a thread today showing guys going to the Boardman tunnel and the operator claims the P5 is faster in a more rearward position, while the Speed Concept is faster in a more forward position. I have some pretty extensive tunnel and velodrome testing for a few different athletes on both those bikes, replicating positions in an agonizing detailed manner, and the data just doesn't show that to be true. It just so happened I was speaking with a member of the team that designed one of those two bikes today, and he chuckled and said, "Uh, no, I have no idea where they got that information. None of our data shows that." Plus, it shocked me that anyone would allow the bike to dictate your position just to chase the lowest CdA.

Now, you could argue that one bike is faster than another because of the setup to achieve your position, but that's an equipment issue, not a position issue. I hope that makes sense. Really good question...thanks for asking!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So awesome Jim!! I’m really interested to see what the community thinks about this, and see how the service works going forward.

Just so everyone is clear, I don’t make any money from Jim’s service. I do make money if his clients decide to purchase TriRig product, of course, but that’s it. So all the fees (including Jim’s hypothetical test ride fee in item #6 above) are to compensate Jim for his time.

Test riding the bike is free from my perspective (I provided bikes and bars at no cost, and don’t see a dime of Jim’s fees). But of course Jim has to sort out what will be financially feasible for him.

Very cool stuff.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
6. NO. LBS lets me test ride bikes for free. Bike manufacturers at IM expos let you test ride their bikes for free. Why would I want to pay a fee to test ride an Omni?

Agreed. The reason I ask that question is when the bike is being test ridden, it can't be used for aero testing which effects revenue. Plus, it takes time to set the bike up in an athlete's position, so I'll need to pay an assistant to do that. Perhaps we could schedule a half day, or even full day, for people who just want to test ride the Omni so we're not worried about aero testing simultaneously? No worries about revenue that way. Great feedback. Thanks.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
MattyK wrote:
Cool idea.

That would be fun, but likely way too heavy to ride, and not safe changing position on the fly. Probably a huge amount to develop something like that, too. Sure would be cool though, wouldn't it.
99% of the tech already exists to do it. Fairly off the shelf hardware. Effectively you're only replacing the stem and the seatpost with adjustable devices.
Add a brain box, wireless transmitter and a small battery pack.
I reckon you could do it under 5kg, which would be basically unnoticeable on a velodrome. You're not going to be sprinting or mashing huge watts, so rigidity and durability aren't at much risk.

Safety, you'd have to establish a suitable protocol and maybe rider controlled interlocks but it's not insurmountable.
Quote:
On a similar note, I'm convinced that someday we'll have tiny motors on our stems and seat posts that allow small adjustments during a ride. For instance, we have some Pro Tour riders who have a few different positions for their road bike. One, a regular everyday position, and another for climbing. Depending on what the day brings, that's the position they ride. Wouldn't it be cool to get to the bottom of a hill, press a button, and both the bars and saddle move into a "climbing" position?
Or the reverse, get to the top, activate dropper post for the descent?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. $400
2. $100
3. Sure, but not a driving factor.
4. Yes.
5. No, but I'm local-ish so biased.
6. Not really, but would be interested in the Alpha One.
7. I'd be more interested in standalone.
8. Sure. Sounds like should be at least a modest discount for reduced overhead of your time.
9. There's nothing I "don't like." But the Omni is kind of an outlier in terms of design. Though maybe the odds of over-fitting to the aero and fit characteristics of the Omni are small, it does come to mind.

I agree that you're on to something with the rolling fit bike.
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
So awesome Jim!! I’m really interested to see what the community thinks about this, and see how the service works going forward.

Just so everyone is clear, I don’t make any money from Jim’s service. I do make money if his clients decide to purchase TriRig product, of course, but that’s it. So all the fees (including Jim’s hypothetical test ride fee in item #6 above) are to compensate Jim for his time.

Test riding the bike is free from my perspective (I provided bikes and bars at no cost, and don’t see a dime of Jim’s fees). But of course Jim has to sort out what will be financially feasible for him.

Very cool stuff.

Very cool. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
[
99% of the tech already exists to do it. Fairly off the shelf hardware. Effectively you're only replacing the stem and the seatpost with adjustable devices.
Add a brain box, wireless transmitter and a small battery pack.
I reckon you could do it under 5kg, which would be basically unnoticeable on a velodrome. You're not going to be sprinting or mashing huge watts, so rigidity and durability aren't at much risk.

I like where your head's at, but having developed the fit software for a stationary fit bike, I think you're somewhat understating the engineering difficulty. Getting repeatable millimeter-grade accuracy,is hard. Including a seat-tube motor capable of lifting a large dude requires a power motor, precise motors with minimal backlash, fancy linear actuators, fancy locks so you can power the motors down when in place, etc. Fancy absolute encoders so you know the precise precision. And possibly fancy lawyers because there are patents on motor actuated fit bikes.

It might be relatively quick to hack something together. To put something slick together that you can put lots of paying customers on without being a safety or maintenance nightmare is probably man-years of effort. Several hundred thousand dollars of up-front engineering labor.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 25, 18 18:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
A little primer to begin. Anyone who's done extensive aero testing knows one of the major time/money sucks is adjusting the client's bike. [..] A little over a year ago, Nick Salazar from TriRig showed me the drawings for his Alpha One aero bar, and I immediately recognized he was giving me a solution for the above problem. [..] Well, to keep this short, we now have a size run of Omni's with Alpha One's! The service is officially "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" and I'm thrilled to be partnering with Nick on this.

This is insanely cool. Lucky you.
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Yeah, I've had this in my head for a year, and it's a relief to finally get it going. Bikes will be built up by the end of the weekend!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some of us ride 650's with smaller cranks.. i feel like this would be much more difficult to replicate on a 700 bike, yes no?
Quote Reply
Re: "ERO Dynamic Powered by TriRig" - I need some ST feedback/wisdom [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
some of us ride 650's with smaller cranks.. i feel like this would be much more difficult to replicate on a 700 bike, yes no?

Depends on the fit coordinates. The small Omni with the Alpha One gets down to a pad stack of 550, which is pretty darn low but, yeah, unfortunately we're going to miss a few people on the extreme ends.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well 5 absolutely! I am stil pissed I missed you in the Springs last year.

What I see as the special value you can bring is
1. The fit experience
2. The aero eyeball.

Get the fit and initial position close and it is more efficient to work from there. I did a windtunnel test and it was pretty useless once I got out on the road. The fit was not sustainable and the differences in helmet performance were so large I could have roll-down tested them. Total waste of my time and money.

I really don't see short tests for helmet or skinsuit selection being a big deal. Ya it is nice, especially if you are local, but the reason I would travel across the country to work with ERO is to get that balance of comfort, power output and aero. Very few people offer that compete service.

My advice would be to stick with what you do best. You can offer the other stuff as time fillers for local riders.
Quote Reply

Prev Next