Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Dude, where's my shoe?" article
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed this article on the front page.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Run_Shoe_Tech/Dude_Where_s_My_Shoe__7883.html

I had been thinking back to my early running days in the 80's, and I didn't recall shoe models with V1's, V2's, etc, and this article confirmed that this wasn't standard practice back then. I can see how the need to launch new versions of a given model every 12-18 months can add some cost and complexity.

I don't think I fall into the classification of shoe customer mostly outlined in the article. My buying pattern has never been to purchase the same model (or even the same "feeling" shoe) year after year. I buy from the brands available at my local running specialty store (Brooks, Saucony, Altra, Hoka, Skechers, Asics, NB) and within the same "light stability" category. Other than that, it's a real roulette. Though, I am more inclined to get shoes with more cushioning these days. I used to lean towards what was on sale, but lately I've bought the newer models.

Whenever I've read through ST threads where people list their running shoes of choice, it has felt like most people favor a single brand or model (much like Hoka fan boy slowman). I have had many outstanding pairs of running shoes in the past, but there hasn't been one that ever made me want to stick with it almost exclusively. This need for variety doesn't extend throughout my life. I've been married (for 25 years this summer), and I definitely don't want to mess around with that winning formula.

Quote Reply
Re: "Dude, where's my shoe?" article [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the article was helpful as to the "why" of changing shoes but I would love a follow up on what to do if it happens to you. I know the short answer is to talk to your running store, but while the folks there are well meaning, I don't think they can always answer my questions. While they are nice enough, the employees are mostly just a group of Highschool track stars that could run in flats.

The holy grail would be an spreadsheet of equivalent shoes. For example, I road run in Asics Kayanos but I don't think Asics trail running shoes have enough grip for where I run. I would love to know the Hoka or Salomon equivalent to the Kayano. This is hard to find spending a few minutes on a treadmill in the running store where the track star has brought out 10 boxes that he "thinks one of these will work." I'd love to be able to do the research before and know that 2 or 3 shoes should be close before I start trying them out on the in store treadmill.
Quote Reply