Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Do I Dare?" - Position Help
Quote | Reply
So I know I'm not where I should be, but I've made some changes since I bought this bike last summer (first season). I wasn't fit at that time, but the bike felt good.

I put on a new seat post that allowed me to move my seat more forward than stock. It has helped - I was really stretched out before.

Before / After photos coming soon...
Last edited by: fludgerim: Nov 14, 05 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: "Do I Dare?" - Position Critique [fludgerim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My expert analysis:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean out your in-box!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "Do I Dare?" - Position Critique [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my non-expert analysis!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude you need a sandwich!

I'd try to get your upper arms a bit more vertical, and the front end a bit lower. A shorter stem with a drop in it might be all you need. Plus the sandwich.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
may I suggest shaving?? (a lot...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put your stem horizontal and take a pic holding the bars s-bend-like, meaning on the horizontal part.

Also take a pic of your bike without you, just the bike. Post. We'll talk more then.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that a shadow or is that chest hair?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're DQ'd - No Shirt! How offensive.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: "Do I Dare?" - Position Critique [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say you just yank off the clip-ons and race in the drops.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW! That's quite a stem you got going on!
Quote Reply
Re: "Do I Dare?" - Position Critique [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel bad making fun of this, but on a serious note, I have heard that the way many triathletes are positioned on their aero-bars they would be as good or better just riding on the drops of road bars.

In fact many road cyclists are better aerodynamically positioned on their bikes than triathletes are on their funky time-trial bikes.

Fleck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you have just done is open your self to guess work of others. Through fashion and lemming like beliefs you will now be postioned in a way that is nothing more than "Uh I guess you could do this." God speed young man.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: "Do I Dare?" - Position Critique [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It came on the bike. I didn't even know what a stem was when I bought it. I know it ain't pretty, hence the request for feedback...
Quote Reply
Re: "Do I Dare?" - Position Critique [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make as much fun as you like, not hurting my feelings. I rode last year in the drops, thought I'd try aero this year. it's a start...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the same note, I actually think he'd be in a more aero position on the drops of the road bar than the aero bars with the current set-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel bad making fun of this, but on a serious note

I wasn't making fun, my post was on a serious note.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There 3 routes you can take from this point:

1. Try and get as well positioned on the Giant Road bike for Road riding( no clip-ons to start) - because there is some work to be done there and then tweak that a bit later on when adding the clip ons at some point.

2. Get rid of the Giant and start again with a tri -specific bike

3. Retro-fit the Giant for tri/time trial riding( Not preferable and last resort)

If I was advising you I would go with the first part of number one to start. There still is a fair amount of work you could do on just the road positioning that would be of tremendous help no matter what you do after that.

Fleck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Note the utter lack of anything to pick on away from the body/bike! Clearly dude wanted to narrow down the commentary. Good show of judgment with THAT part. Of course, the kudos ends w/ going shirtless. Hey, STers, why are only guys going sans tops in these pics? SAC, start using your pull to get this into a more fair balance...

My man, you are more upright than I am when riding on the tops of my drop bars. Tibbs has a point, but at least this much is unambiguous... you are really really high. Unless your hammies and low back muscles are made of rope, you can/should get a lot lot lot lower. Melt down the stem into a paperweight for starters and get one that's flat.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: "Do I Dare?" - Position Critique [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
On the same note, I actually think he'd be in a more aero position on the drops of the road bar than the aero bars with the current set-up.
No question, way more aero. But trying holding that position after swimming for a long time. Ouch. Aero bars are as much for relaxation as aeroness.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh...let me get to ya...can't type well when I am laughing so hard...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it get hot riding in that SWEATER?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a position you are comfortable in and then ride that a lot. Pleeeease stop the ST positioning mafia.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, your position does not look cool. If you do not look cool, you cannot be fast. If you were riding with your hands on the brake hoods your position would not change much at all.....so as you are now, your aero position does nothing for you. You are too stretched out. Ditch that stem and get one that is horizontal to the ground. Ditch the triple chainring and the cargo bag on the back of your seat. With compact geometry, you need a forward seat post. Ditch the white socks too, black socks are much cooler.

Try to look more like this guy:

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply

Prev Next