Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Disabled" triathletes seen on TV - WOW!
Quote | Reply
Last night I was trying to calm down enough to sleep. I was flipping channels on TV and came across a show called "Rebuilt" on the Discovery Health network. ( http://health.discovery.com/convergence/rebuilt/about.html )

On that episode, there were two stories of 'prosthetic' triathletes.

One story was absolutely extraordinary: a young boy of about 15 (?) has arms and legs to the elbows and knees; he uses prostheses from the bootom of those limbs. Yet he trains as hard as anyone else, using whatever biomechanical techniques they could devise to train the muscles. Imagine needing to create slings for the elbows to do chest work on a cable-crossover weight machine, to get stronger for swimming.

Another story was a man who (I think) had his leg amputated but yet was trying his first (relay) tri... he had incredible descriptions on hitting the open water for the first time, after never having raced before - and with an amputated leg. Imagine having to be right there, in the moment every moment, needing to learn & grow from every movement you take!

I know that there have been many ParaOlympic athletes as well as other "disabled" (yes, I know they are not disabled) athletes, but it was great to see them telling the whole story on TV. It's very inspiring for ABLE people who make so many excuses for most of their lives, so see someone like even a young boy functioning HIGHLY even with no lower limbs! Think you have challenges in your own training (or life)? Do it without half your limbs - and enthusiastically!

Just my thought this morning,

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: "Disabled" triathletes seen on TV - WOW! [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At ST. Anthony's a couple of years ago I was in the first wave and finishing when I see a tallish young lady, below the knee amputee coming out of transition and moving WELL.

My only thought was that I was glad we weren't in the same wave.

We have a paralympian gold medalist who swims at our club. She is 15 or so, double below the knee amputee and holds a world record with a 21 minute long course 1500. Trying to get her involved in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: "Disabled" triathletes seen on TV - WOW! [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone see the documentary "Murderball?" Its about quadriplegic Rugby players. OK, so not tri related, but it really gives those of us able-bodied people an idea of what it is like to train as athletes under a set of circumstances that most of us probably can't comprehend. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Partially-Hydrogenated
Quote Reply
Re: "Disabled" triathletes seen on TV - WOW! [Veggie Terror] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been trying to see "Murderball"... I think it may finally be out on rentable DVD's.

I think it's important to see into the mind of "overcoming" individuals; that sounds really cliche but there is vast truth to that. We all may struggle with obstacles, and it's easy to get into a "poor me" freeze-up.

Learning from people who say, "What have I got to lose by trying... and trying my hardest?" is very inspiring! As a coach, finding methods of encouraging a particular individual is quite challenging. Learning how to translate these peoples' "motivation" to others is what I hope to do.

get in there - live your best life - get out

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply