Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Dis" my resume (OT)
Quote | Reply
Fell free to ridicule laugh at or offer constructive comment. Also feel free to PM me for a copy with the contact info intact if you think you know someone who might be interested.

James D. Schmitt

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxx xxx-xxxx xxx@xxxx.xxx

OBJECTIVE: A career orientated position.

QUALIFICATIONS
  • Exceptional communication and speaking skills as proven through extensive public speaking and training experiences.
  • Extensive customer service skills developed from years of teaching experience and serving customers as a professional waiter.
  • Proven Long term loyalty to employers as demonstrated through many years of service to current employers (below).
  • Ability to stick to long-range goals and long term training and certification as demonstrated through master level martial arts certification (eight years of continuous training).

EMPLOYMENT

1997-Present Assistant Manager/Master Instructor. Frankenmuth Martial Arts

Eight years of experience teaching various classes for both children and adults, including Tae Kwon Do, Tai Chi, yoga and fitness courses. Directly taught thousands of students individually and in small to large groups. Assist with the management and administration of all customer service areas. Act as overall manager of the center in the owners absence. Accomplishments include:
  • Earned 4th degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do
  • Developed the yoga and Tai Chi program for adults (and serve as instructor for all classes).
  • Prepared and taught numerous seminars to the public, corporations, association meetings and member families.
  • Obtained certification as a personal trainer (CPT).

1993-Present Waiter Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn

Twelve years experience as a waiter in on eof the country's top ten privately owned restaurants. Participated in extensive customer service training. Preparded and conducted customer service workshops for other staff members. Assisted in training of other waitstaff.

OTHER EXPERIENCE
  • Served in the U.S. Army for 2 years and the U.S. Navy for 4 years (Honorable Discharge)
  • Assistant Manager for a major retail chain 1987-1990

EDUCATION

Delta College, University Center, Michigan: 50 semester hours (English Major)

Flame away.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: "Dis" my resume (OT) [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got through enough that I would throw it in the garbage. "Orientated" is not a word.

If this was a joke, then sorry, I did not read enough to figure that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to clean up some spelling, usage and punctuation issues. (I.e., "career-oriented" vs. "career orientated;" "Proven long-term" vs. "Proven Long term," etc.)

Tailor your resume to the field you are applying for.

Stress any management/leadership experience you had as an assistant manager or trainer of other waiters.

Disclose your military MOS and ranks, stressing promotions and qualifications.

List your high school and graduation date under education.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd cut the part about sex at the bottom of it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OBJECTIVE -- should generally be specific to the job. A general objective means "I need work, please hire me." Tailor this well, as it is the first thing that gets read.

QUALIFICATIONS -- I think this is a bit of puffery. Not to be insulting, but you use the word "exceptional," and that is kind of arrogant. You are not Tony Robbins here... Also, mentioning loyalty -- then why are you looking for work? I don't think you are really saying much here. It is sort of a grandiose way of saying I'm a nice guy. Qualifications, IMO, should be specific to the job. If they are looking for a mechanic (for example), it should be how long you've worked as a mechanic, and what certifications you have.

EMPLOYMENT -- First off, you have a spelling error in the second section (waiter) - "on eof" which is a HUGE mistake. Spelling is critical. Also, you say it is one of the country's top-ten privately owned restaurants. Top ten of what? No offense, but I've never heard of the Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn, and I don't think it beats out Per Se, French Laundry, or about 50 other restaurants that are widely regarded as the best in the country... So that seems like a bit of a misrepresntation. If you say top-ten, it has to be "top-ten (as rated by XYZ)" or something like that.

OTHER EXPERIENCE -- What was the major retail chain? Why don't you list that under employment? Just say the name of the company. And move it under employment, behind waiter -- 1987-1990 Assisant Manager XYZSuperDeluxeMart

I'd move the "QUALIFICATIONS" section to the bottom and rename it "SKILLS" or something like that. Then replace all that vague, qualitative stuff with useful things. Like, do you know how to use MS Word and/or MS Excel? Both of these are often very valuable, ESPECIALLY Excel. Do you know any other useful software. Being computer saavy is usually very important these days.

Add a section "OTHER INTERESTS" -- put something more about your "master instructor" certification in here. And add that you do triathlons and put a few races in there. You can definitely tip the scales with little things like that.

Look at the resumes on Monster.com and other places. Hope that helps...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • "orientated" would have made me throw it in the trash.
  • Pick a verb tense and stick with it. (Are you really an English major?)
  • "owners" should probably be "owner's", but double check this.

Last edited by: banana: Aug 23, 05 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: "Dis" my resume (OT) [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure graduation date is a good idea. He is willing to start over in any career, but highlighting he's in his 40's (I think that's the case) may not be wise.
Quote Reply
Re: "Dis" my resume (OT) [trifolk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well then if he doesn't get a job he can sue for age discrimination! ;^)
Quote Reply
Re: "Dis" my resume (OT) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btw this is a general resume I am tailoring for each position applied. I admit it is not much. And I should have spellchecked before submitting to you guys but that would have ruined the fun. Thanks for the constructive comments, I haven't done one fo these in years.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, as a former college career counselor I would suggest contacting Delta College Career Services and utilizing their resources (usually free to former/current students). It's best to have someone sit down with you and discuss your aspirations, strengths etc then then collaborate with you on your resume. Keep in mind that a resume is a sales tool, your selling yourself. Also, specifically define your objective before going to see someone. Find a couple positions that you would be interested in and bring them in on your first appointment. If you have any questions shoot me a PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the chicken?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Definitely proof-read several times to fix grammar and spelling errors.

2. I think you should expand on your military service just like you did with your 2 current positions. As long as it wasn't 20 years ago, it's worthwhile to explain what you did and how well you did it.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut out the Objective. - I still don't get why people put this on a resume. Are you aplying for a job? If so, is the objective not to get the job? Anything else is just taking up space IMO.

Qualifications - either back them up with facts, or exclude. Extensive CS skills? Quantfy that for me please? Otherwise, cut it out.

Highlight your accomplishments in your job. Don't tell me what you did. Example...Assist with the management and administration of all customer service areas. What did you assist with in the CS area? Did you manage a group of people? Did you solve any major problems among staff? Tell me something that you did in the role that made a difference to the company.

Just some thoughts.

--------
Canadian resident again 10/31/2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People in my workplace use "orientated" so frequently that I almost started to believe the word existed.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: "Dis" my resume (OT) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OBJECTIVE -- should generally be specific to the job. A general objective means "I need work, please hire me." Tailor this well, as it is the first thing that gets read.

QUALIFICATIONS -- I think this is a bit of puffery. Not to be insulting, but you use the word "exceptional," and that is kind of arrogant. You are not Tony Robbins here... Also, mentioning loyalty -- then why are you looking for work? I don't think you are really saying much here. It is sort of a grandiose way of saying I'm a nice guy. Qualifications, IMO, should be specific to the job. If they are looking for a mechanic (for example), it should be how long you've worked as a mechanic, and what certifications you have.

EMPLOYMENT -- First off, you have a spelling error in the second section (waiter) - "on eof" which is a HUGE mistake. Spelling is critical. Also, you say it is one of the country's top-ten privately owned restaurants. Top ten of what? No offense, but I've never heard of the Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn, and I don't think it beats out Per Se, French Laundry, or about 50 other restaurants that are widely regarded as the best in the country... So that seems like a bit of a misrepresntation. If you say top-ten, it has to be "top-ten (as rated by XYZ)" or something like that.

OTHER EXPERIENCE -- What was the major retail chain? Why don't you list that under employment? Just say the name of the company. And move it under employment, behind waiter -- 1987-1990 Assisant Manager XYZSuperDeluxeMart

I'd move the "QUALIFICATIONS" section to the bottom and rename it "SKILLS" or something like that. Then replace all that vague, qualitative stuff with useful things. Like, do you know how to use MS Word and/or MS Excel? Both of these are often very valuable, ESPECIALLY Excel. Do you know any other useful software. Being computer saavy is usually very important these days.

Add a section "OTHER INTERESTS" -- put something more about your "master instructor" certification in here. And add that you do triathlons and put a few races in there. You can definitely tip the scales with little things like that.

Look at the resumes on Monster.com and other places. Hope that helps...

Objectives are redundant and useless. If this is going to be tailored for each job (which it should be) the objective is to get that specific job. If your objective is anything else, why would you apply? When looking at resumes, I immediately toss any resumes with objectives unless in a cursory glance i see the word harvard or similar.

Good call on the loyalty issue. That was the first thing that really bothered me (after orientated).

"top ten" is only important information it it's top ten in customer service or some other category you had a hand in earning.

break it all out into bullets or short statements. the sentences are too long and it looks sloppy switching back and forth between paragraphs and bullets. use active verbs, trained, taught, etc.

"numerous" could mean anything. try -Taught over 40 small group seminars

I also don't like "other interests". Those come into play more in the interview step to see if you fit in w. the culture. Stay on topic - your usefulness.

Honestly, there's a ton of problems with this resume and i'll stop here. Scrap it and start over. Also, check w. delta college to see if they can provide some counseling on resume writing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I visited Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn back in the 70s....it was very nice.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main thing the resume says to me is: "I wore Lederhosen."

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gettin in late.

Cut back on the last two jobs, and get some info on your military duties and responsibilities in there, and maybe a bit about the retail. Keep it short- one page. I would play up the military provided you had a decent MOS. That will sell you. The martial arts will make you memorable.

Don't mention English Major or flaming- not that there is anything wrong with that. Just play both of those down. ;)

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, I can help you. PM me, we'll set up a time to talk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paging Dr. Kittycat stat

As an employer, the two things that would catch my eye are item 1 in your qualifications and your military service.

Re: "Dis" my resume (OT) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIM you are slow on the draw today ;-)

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: "Dis" my resume (OT) [manonfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! yes, he always has the good pics to post (well, minus that obnoxiously obese woman dancing on the stripper pole. yikes!)
Quote Reply