Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Complex" Bike Training Question for PM Users
Quote | Reply
Here comes a very specific question for those of you that have been training and racing with PM. I am new to it, but have read the famous book inside and out as well as Dr. Skiba's book. I have an ok understanding of the subject.

1. What TSS or Bikescore have you recorded for HIM bike split at about 2:25, if racing somewhere at 3.47W/kg, rolling hills

2. What kind of a "split" do you usually end up with between AVG. PWR/ Normalized PWR/ XPower during rolling hills bike splits, when you consider pacing it well(relatively speaking)

3. What kind of TSS or Bikescore do your long rides carry in prep for HIM

I know this stuff is very individual and also that you may not want to share. I am new at this, self coach and just trying to get an idea.
I know that I am asking for a very specific set of info that comes with experience or having a good coach.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: "Complex" Bike Training Question for PM Users [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those answers won't help you at all. Funny in that I did hilly road race today, exactly 2:25 and my TSS was 244.1. But I sure wasn't running anywhere after! As you start to analyze more data with training and racing, you will start to see how those stress scores matter (and with tris, how you ran after - very important).

Quote | Reply
1. too lazy to go look up exact TSS but I've got several 2:21-2:23 about 215 TSS. last weekend at Oside a 209

2.varies on hill size

3. On Sat and Sun of a normal training week, those rides will can be both 250+ TSS. (typically 3-4 hours both days of riding)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: "Complex" Bike Training Question for PM Users [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I thought so, but was thinking as I gave some range of parameters that I would get somewhere.
I started using the guideline of 80-85% of FTP for HIM, for me at 152lbs, FTP of 291W, that tops to about 3.47W/kg. Assuming 80-85% of FTP allows you for a run after, providing all the bike and run training is done properly. My last year's best split with a descent run was 2:27, so I used 2:25.
Since I am approaching 10 weeks to go to A race, I began doing some race simulations to find that avg. power/normalized power/ xPower range that will allow for a good run.
More curious about structuring training now to imitate some TSS and IFF that are representative of HIM split and also trying to cap the TSS of long rides as they tear me up worse than long runs.
I live in rolling hills area, so steady state is luxury here.
Anyway, thanks, I figured that would be the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of guessing/assuming at 80-85% of FTP to run well, which imo is ass backwards, why not track in your pmc your data points for the duration that you plan on racing? Then you can look up and see exactly what you are capable of.

Basically establish a 2.5hr FTP.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 3, 10 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: "Complex" Bike Training Question for PM Users [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this sounds like the best approach, and it's what I plan on using for my upcoming IM. My question for this is do I use the same avg power that I determine from my training rides or should this be adjusted down a few watts to allow for fatigue from the swim or reserve for the marathon? In my case I have done 3 long rides so far, 107, 112 and 116 miles, all around 220-225 watts, that had me comfortably running at goal pace after. Should my IM target be 225 watts, or should I use 225-x (5 or 10 watts?) as my IM target wattage? Thanks.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: "Complex" Bike Training Question for PM Users [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both of those replies help. Thanks, will do it. Just thought I get some kind of reference to start with. Your advice is the best course of action. I just hate blowing a training session being way off. At least, this narrows it closer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are asking for a derivative of an equation... rather (as BS has pointed out) look to the components of the equation.

You already have your around-a-about time that you'll be on the bike... now you need to determine your intensity of racing. TSS serves no "here and now" purpose and can only be of use if the the training that results in a stress score of "X" is SPECIFIC (specificity TRUMPS everything else) and that you begin to compile weeks upon weeks of scores.

IF is what you want to be looking at.

If you are a strong runner... then sit at ~85% or a tad higher... but beyond that, make the proactive move in the 6 weeks prior to race day of RIDING A WHOLE HELLUVALOT at that specific wattage.

A bit less of a runner... than shave a few points off that IF.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: "Complex" Bike Training Question for PM Users [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Will follow both of your and BS suggestions. The lack of data is my problem as I only have two months of rides, every other week, collected of various workouts to include a long ride in Z2, 2x20@FTP, 5x3(3)@VO2max and several 75min Z3 TTs followed by a 3-4mi runs.
I have a few of each type I mentioned but on every other week basis as I travel for living every other week and don't have PM to ensure consistent data collection.
Thanks again, helps a lot.
And no, I am not a strong runner. To the contrary, my HIM PR is 1:37, open half 1:30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mathematical answer is this, take all your good bike only performances and fit them to a curve of joules = A * Time ^B. Once you have A and B then go back and plug in 2:35 for the time and then get the number of joules.

Now take 10% off of that number and use it as your goal power for your tri.

That's the mathematical answer, the real answer is that you ride for pretty close to 2:35 at the power you think you can hold at IM and then go run. You have 10 weeks to try this a few times, you should be able to pull it off.

It doesn't need to be complex, if you think you can ride your half iron at 200 watts and still run, you should probably try riding at 200 watts for a long time and then running. That goes no matter how you got your estimate, if you usedsome fatigue model, some rule of thumb, or if an angel told you while you slept, you still need to go out and try it.
Quote Reply