Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Comfort" Bikes that are still fast?
Quote | Reply
Feel free to correct me if I am mislabeling something here, but can anyone direct me towards some road bikes that are considered more "Comfort" bikes than aggressive "Race" bikes...but that are still meant to go relatively fast on? (In other words, I am not looking for a "touring" bike.)

Cannondale's Synapse and Trek's Pilot come to mind (or am I way off on either of those?) Could you suggest any others? I would be interested in anything that is a current model to maybe 5-7 years ago...

Thanks, ST!

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Last edited by: TheJeff: Sep 6, 13 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: "Comfort" Bikes that are still fast? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for comfort in terms of vertical compliance of the frame, or frames that support upright positions?

The Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, and Cervelo R series (and maybe S3!) all have the vertical compliance going on but are still performance bikes.

The Cervelos have pretty high stack too!

TheJeff wrote:
Feel free to correct me if I am mislabeling something here, but can anyone direct me towards some road bikes that are considered more "Comfort" bikes than aggressive "Race" bikes...but that are still meant to go relatively fast on? (In other words, I am not looking for a "touring" bike.

Cannondale's Synapse and Trek's Pilot come to mind (or am I way off on either of those?) Could you suggest any others?

Thanks, ST!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: "Comfort" Bikes that are still fast? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Are you looking for comfort in terms of vertical compliance of the frame, or frames that support upright positions?
Thanks for your suggestions!
To answer your question, I had a slightly more upright position in mind. Pretend though, just for a second, that I don't know what you mean buy "vertical compliance..." It sounds like there is something else for me to consider?

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some bikes likes the ones I listed try to design some 'give' in the frame, so that bumps are absorbed more readily.

Perhaps more important if you are looking for that, is a frame that lets you run wide 25 or 28mm tires, since tires tend to have much more impact on smoothing out road bumps than frame features. You can run a lower pressure the wider the tire is.

So look for frames that have a lot of stack for a given reach, and that will accept bigger tires.

TheJeff wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions!
To answer your question, I had a slightly more upright position in mind. Pretend though, just for a second, that I don't know what you mean buy "vertical compliance..." It sounds like there is something else for me to consider?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on the R3. It's very comfortable, climbs well and goes fast enough for me. I don't race crits so I can't comment on it's racing abilities. I hear others have done well on it though... :O)
Quote Reply
Re: "Comfort" Bikes that are still fast? [Run Snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run Snail wrote:
x2 on the R3. It's very comfortable, climbs well and goes fast enough for me. I don't race crits so I can't comment on it's racing abilities. I hear others have done well on it though... :O)

It did win a grand tour, seems ok.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jamis has a few that are virtually identical to their "race" line, except in the height of the head tube.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Trek Domane with 25c tires on it (it looks like it might take 28c tires). It is like riding a recliner down the road but it can be plenty fast.
Quote Reply
Re: "Comfort" Bikes that are still fast? [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monsieur Trois wrote:
I've got a Trek Domane with 25c tires on it (it looks like it might take 28c tires). It is like riding a recliner down the road but it can be plenty fast.

Schleck has been racing the pro tour on one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He doesn't move that decoupler like I do though! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Some bikes likes the ones I listed try to design some 'give' in the frame, so that bumps are absorbed more readily.

Gotcha. So let me ask you one question (and thanks for all of your time): It seems like that would have a negative effect on energy return? Would that make the bike "slower"? Or, is all of that marketing hype?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They try to design them so that the frame is just as stiff laterally, just not vertically. For instance the R3, and new S3 have super super thin seat stays that deflect a bit vertically, but fat chain stays that don't deflect easily left and right.

In practice it doesn't even matter, among any decently designed frames nobody is able to detect any energy lost to the frame while pedaling, even in huge sprint efforts. People have tried to detect it by using crank and wheel based power meters at the same time, for instance.

So no, no substantive power lost due to features like that. I can't really even tell that these bikes feel any different comfort wise though (at least on the R3), I'm highly insensitive to that stuff. But many many people love them. I *can* tell when you have a nice fat comfy tire though =)

TheJeff wrote:
Quote:

Gotcha. So let me ask you one question (and thanks for all of your time): It seems like that would have a negative effect on energy return? Would that make the bike "slower"? Or, is all of that marketing hype?

Last edited by: jackmott: Sep 6, 13 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Felt Z-series match what you are looking for. Not as aggressive as the F-series but still fast,

http://www.feltbicycles.com/...s/Road/Z-Series.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2011/12 BMC SLR01 is very comfortable but fast, the 2013 version is stiffer though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Specialized Roubaix + 25mm tires + Hed Belgium rims.

I'm a 240# guy and it rides really nice. Easily handles everything I can throw at it....

I'm competing against my current fitness level, and planning to kick my a**!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm amazed no one has mentioned the Giant Defy. Bicycling magazine and Cycling news has ranked it as the best bike, regardless of classification, a few times over the last few years. I have the TCR SL, and have also ridden the Defy, and can attest that it is a fantastic bike, and is quite fast, with really good power delivery and the wonderful Giant handling (the overdrive system is just incredible). Cannondale Synapse is also a lovely bike, that is plenty fast.
Quote Reply
Re: "Comfort" Bikes that are still fast? [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
InWyo wrote:
I'm amazed no one has mentioned the Giant Defy. Bicycling magazine and Cycling news has ranked it as the best bike, regardless of classification, a few times over the last few years. I have the TCR SL, and have also ridden the Defy, and can attest that it is a fantastic bike, and is quite fast, with really good power delivery and the wonderful Giant handling (the overdrive system is just incredible). Cannondale Synapse is also a lovely bike, that is plenty fast.

+1 I ride a Defy Comp 1 and love it. Fast, stiff and comfy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Monsieur Trois wrote:

Schleck has been racing the pro tour on one.

So has some dude named Fabian.
Quote Reply
Re: "Comfort" Bikes that are still fast? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? That is nuts. Almost as nuts as Tony Martins 110 mile breakaway on NOT A VENGE.

Schleck I figured it was for his broken hip and stuff.

Pooks wrote:

So has some dude named Fabian.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Specialized Roubaix for my road bike. It's very comfortable and plenty fast.
Quote Reply
Re: "Comfort" Bikes that are still fast? [Nixnick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any steel framed bike with 622-28 tyres.
If the frame is made from superlight tubing it *may* be even more comfy, as it *may* be a bit flexier and springy.
I had a cheap mid-90s MBK with Columbus Cromor tubing for winter training a couple of years ago and it was an absolute effing magic carpet on 622-28 Vittoria Zaffiro tyres.

Comfort of course is also hugely dependant on your riding position. Raising the bars, double-wrapping them, using a Brooks B-17 or an SQ Lab saddle, all could help.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek Domane
Quote Reply
Re: "Comfort" Bikes that are still fast? [Grindcore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grindcore wrote:
InWyo wrote:

+1 I ride a Defy Comp 1 and love it. Fast, stiff and comfy.

+2. I love my Giant TCR, but my back loves the Defy - especially on rides over 50 miles. I should state that the TCR is very comfortable, but at my advanced age the slightly relaxed (?) geometry of the Defy feels really nice. No difference in performance, other than probably being more aero on the TCR.
Last edited by: CrankShaft: Sep 6, 13 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's this race with like cobbles or something ;-)

Having ridden Defy, Roubaix and Domane: Domane, but you should ride and let ypur body decide rather than let the Internet choose for you.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TitanFlex Transition.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply

Prev Next