Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary
Quote | Reply
Earlier this year I had the pleasure of Emceeing the debut of a mini-documentary, "Chasing the Lion" on the improbable run to the top of the long distance triathlon world, by Lionel Sanders. The event was a sell-out with 300+ in attendance on a cold winter night in Toronto.

The 20 minute mini documentary was shown, and after it ran, I hosted a great Q & A session with Lionel and the audience. Lionel was his usual gracious, giving, humble and funny self! We could have gone on all night!

The producers of "Chasing the Lion", owing to the success of the mini-doc, have been given the green-light to move forward with a full-scale documentary - Chasing the Lion 2.0. Today they launched a Kickstarter Campaign to raise some additional seed-funding for this project. The link for this is here - https://www.kickstarter.com/.../chasing-the-lion-20

If you have any questions about the documentary, you can ask me here, or send me a PM.

On behalf of the producers, Thank You in advance for your interest and assistance.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I see the original anywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beat me to it. That's the first question I was going to ask. lol

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
+3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who are the other 4?

How much equity are they "selling"? Said another way - If you "give" $1,000 - what is your equity stake in the film?

How much more do they think they need to finalize the film?

What is the plan to monetize the film?
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickstarter is not for equity........

Maybe they give you a free dvd
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DVD if you donate CA$ 500+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

You will need to donate CA $500

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a media professional and triathlete, I am pretty intrigued and want to see this succeed. The Kickstarter rewards however are not friendly. The tiers really need to be redone so there is more on the lower end and something between $100 and $500. But I get you aren't really looking for advice, I wish you all great success. Huge Sanders and doc fan so I look forward to it.

Question: Is the film going to be in Black & White? Was the original?
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Am I reading the Kickstarter wrong? I see you getting a DVD of the original film if you donate $25 CA.

As for me, I'm done with Kickstarter and films. Donated four times; still zero finished films.
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

You will need to donate CA $500[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
Tri Nut wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

[/quote]
No Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
Tri Nut wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

No Thanks[/quote]
From the Kickstarter:

Pledge CA$ 25 or more About $20 Level 1 donor
- Monthly newsletter with project updates and member-only access to our digital campaign, which follows the life of the production
- One DVD copy of Chasing the Lion (short film) which isn't available online or in store

Estimated delivery Oct 2017
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was Chasing the Lion before there was Chasing the Lion .... for those wishing to see a preview of the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S25wsuM2PA8

Mike Alexander wrote:

Quote | Reply
if they want people to donate, they should offer the first mini doco online for free somewhere...that way people have a better idea of what the finished product might turn out like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly Im a fan of Lionel but I just can't see paying 25$ for a dvd which might get mailed to me 3 months from now.

Would like to see the short doc but at this time they haven't released it in any format. Ie it might be good but at this point basically nobodies seen it, hence no reviews, hence no "buzz", hence no interest (likely) in this kickstarter.

Where is the screening schedule?

My 2c,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

So, that's like... $5.00 USD, right? ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are up to about 80 cents US now thank you very much.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, Canada has its own currency? That's like California printing its own money. How is that even legal?

len wrote:
We are up to about 80 cents US now thank you very much.

Quote | Reply
are you going to answer any questions?
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea who the other 4 triathletes are that will be featured in this, other than Lionel? This looks very much like the video "What it Takes" featuring Peter Reid, Lori Bowden, Heather Fuhr and I believe Luke Bell? That video did not fare too well for them in Kona that year.
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We even have multiple colours of ink. I stack of 100s even smells like maple syrup.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Matt here, producer of Chasing the Lion. Thanks to Steve Fleck for posting news of our Kickstarter. First thing I should mention is that I am new to crowdfunding so really appreciate feedback and questions that deserve a response.

Regarding the public release of the short doc, Chasing the Lion: We've just submitted Chasing the Lion to the Windsor International Film Festival which takes place in November. One of the key eligibility requirements to be selected is that the film cannot be released to the public prior to the festival screening date. The goal is to give something back to Lionel for all his effort making the film and give something special to his hometown fans, a local film festival and the City of Windsor. Lionel is a very big deal in Windsor and our production benefited greatly from generous community support. As soon as this has happened the film will be online and I will make sure to post a link.

I'll reply to other questions as quick as I can today.

Thanks!

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: "Chasing The Lion" - The Lionel Sanders Documentary [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Tri Nut wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Am I reading the Kickstarter wrong? I see you getting a DVD of the original film if you donate $25 CA.

As for me, I'm done with Kickstarter and films. Donated four times; still zero finished films.

I've done maybe 15-20 KS projects. Most of them come through eventually, though not a single one has ever delivered on time. I did have one* project that straight up never delivered. The guy took the funds in 2013 and did absolutely nothing related to the project with them. 3 years later he does a single update claiming mental illness and that his licensing for the product has expired so he couldn't complete it anymore. I had long ago written that project off as a loss though so no surprise there. I still do back projects on KS occasionally but with the mindset that I know it could be significantly delayed and that I may never see anything. Like just yesterday a factory producing a KS project Lisboa (board game) burnt down with all the EU projects (Ironically the board game is about repairing Lisboa after a tsunami and fire). What will happen to those KS backers who put in the funds and now their games have burnt down? Who knows.

The rewards for the KS project need to be "good" enough to warrant taking these types of risk of paying up front for something that is still in development. Looking at this Chasing The Lion thing, I don't really feel much incentive. Then again this isn't something I would buy even if it was available retail so I'm not quite the target audience.

Best of luck to OP

edit: typo
Last edited by: racehd: Jul 28, 17 11:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next