Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Cassette removal is easy" - Ha!
Quote | Reply
Ok, you all convinced me it was time to replace my 11-28t cog with something tighter. I figured I'd take it in baby steps, put on an 11-26t.
I have the proper cassette removal tool, the SR-1, the adjustable wrench.
I've done this before, though it has been a while.
Review the ST thread where everyone said how easy it was. Review the Park Tools instructions+video.
Everything is set.
Apply force to remove .... and nada.
Apply every ounce of strength I have ... still nada.
Look for a pipe or something to slip over the wrenches to increase lever arm ... nada.
Apply every ounce of strength I have, suppressing vocalizations that would be inappropriate around my kids ... nada.

ARRGGGHHH!!!!

I need to rent some muscle.

(Any tricks for those of us who lack typical male upper body strength?)
Quote Reply
Re: "Cassette removal is easy" - Ha! [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
um, are you sure you're twisting in the right direction? shouldn't be on THAT tight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the biceps of a 12 year old girl and can even take a cassette off. Just damn.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the adjustable wrench that you are using is long enough, I am thinking you might be twisting in the wrong direction ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Cassette removal is easy" - Ha! [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
I have the biceps of a 12 year old girl and can even take a cassette off. Just damn.
hahaha

"A wise man once told me......God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop trying and get thee to a bike shop. If the old one was put on way too tight it may be difficult to remove, but shouldn't be that hard. Something sounds wrong and best to have a cpro look at it before you do some damage.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: "Cassette removal is easy" - Ha! [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got that sucker off. Dang.

Come to think of it, I probably had stronger biceps when I was a 12yr old girl...

Ok, just needed to vent. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i once had one get stuck so bad it took me an hour.

when that happens, a penetrating lubricant usually does the trick.spray, let it sit, the try again.

also helps to have a huge lever of a wrench =)

if you don't put it on too tight, it is easy to remove!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: "Cassette removal is easy" - Ha! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I cannot get this Miche off
Freewheel. The disc is aramid, afraid to damage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on a road bike you don't have to put the lockring back on super tight at all, just snug it up. on the mtb or cross bike sometimes the grass winds around in there and backs it off
Quote Reply
Re: "Cassette removal is easy" - Ha! [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't get my tri shorts off. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: "Cassette removal is easy" - Ha! [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I'm serious. Thats an old 80's disc. I have removed many cassettes, this thing is stuck. The shop cannot get it off. The guy there (who I pay a beer per spoke on a build ;-) ) a wrench since the 70's cannot get it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really really want to get it off you can remove the gears and try to dismantle the free wheel mechanism (some can be on the wheel) then you may have more access to the seam between hub and freewheels shell and can try penetrating oil or applying heat, which may loosen it. If not buy lots of Belgium beer for the mechanic and have him cut the shell off the hub with dremel. It will be a slow job, so lots of beer.

Other than that just use the gears you got.

If you do go the cut route I'll send you a couple of freewheels to replace the one you cut off, just for having the gumption to go to those lengths.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: "Cassette removal is easy" - Ha! [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. As of right now, the few times I use a 7 speed, I'm stuck with it. Was going to put a Campy to match with the regina chain.
Bad picture of the other side. This old disc covers the whole hub. Your right, on how it can be done. Luckily there is not much wear and I cannot ride it much.

100_0342 Wishh I could look like Wiggens on this!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would enjoy trying to tweak that bike to be a bit more aero while still looking retro

maybe one of the old school aero bottles, and a switch of front end to scott 100k?

and a shamal front wheel!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I have an campy areo bottle. I restored it to original. Thats an original pinarello bottle for it.Thats an Ambrosia tubie (80 wolbers) with a c-record 36 hub. All c-record. ....................Could try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
scroll down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way....................................How do you like your new bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Hey I'm serious. Thats an old 80's disc. I have removed many cassettes, this thing is stuck. The shop cannot get it off. The guy there (who I pay a beer per spoke on a build ;-) ) a wrench since the 70's cannot get it off.

Soak in penetrating oil and bring it to a machine shop. See if they can chuck up the cassette removal nut and turn the cassette off. A big lathe can apply a very controlled high torquing force that should be able to get it off. A bike shop is not really the best place for this one.
Last edited by: sand101: Jun 9, 11 20:50
Quote Reply
Re: "Cassette removal is easy" - Ha! [sand101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:

Do this, put the cassette tool in a vise and turn the wheel. You can get a whole lot more force applied without hurting the wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You need to drill the seat post on that bad boy to save weight, cos that's what we did.... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
By the way....................................How do you like your new bike?

The P3?
I've ridden it many many thousands of miles so not really new anymore, 'cept the arm pads.
I like it a lot, but...
it doesn't seem like I ride much faster on it than my road bike (with non-aero wheels and clip-on bars).
Which is sort of the point, to go faster.
I'll have to put it on a trainer (controlled environment) to verify, but on the road my power was jumping up like 25% when I came out of aero.
I don't generate enough watts to afford to give up that many...
Maybe it's just in my head, I'll have to put it on a trainer to verify.
I do like my P3 a lot.

Your bike, by the way, I love! That is very very cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
mopac TT this coming tuesday if you want to test the theory and get some 20 minute hurt in at the same time!

I've never done those, definitely should.
It always seemed a little short for my tastes...iow probably really good for me.

Thanks for the pointer on the penetrating lube.
Quote Reply

Prev Next