Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Bungee-style" shoe laces and plantar fasciitis
Quote | Reply
I don't have any research/scientific explanation for this correlation but I've been thinking about what might be causing my persistent plantar fasciitis and the different variables that have changed over the past couple of years. One thing I never thought about that floored me is the possibility that my bungee-style laces (Lace-Lock) maybe contributing to my flare-ups. I only have anecdotal evidence but thinking about when the PF started to occur, it is roughly around the same time I started to wear Lace Locks full time with my shoes. I've heard that the elastic laces "give" during stride which may allow excessive foot motion and possibly contribute to conditions that would cause PF. Any thoughts about this? I maybe totally off base but would be good to hear opinions about this and whether or not to wear Lace Locks full time.
Quote Reply
Re: "Bungee-style" shoe laces and plantar fasciitis [qngo01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
qngo01 wrote:
I maybe totally off base but would be good to hear opinions about this and whether or not to wear Lace Locks full time.

I'Ve been wearing bungees pretty much exclusively for 5+ years with no issues.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using them and increasing my distance without issue for over 2 years. 2 varieties as well.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Xtenex laces.

You can adjust the tension between each eyelet individually.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought for years that my PF was from bumping my mileage too quickly, but I have begun to think that it was from cycling- after all, I have run 5x further than I was running back then, but the PF flared at the same time that I began riding a road bike (in addition to a mtn bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had PF flareups with and without elastic laces. I have had pain/numbess on the top of my foot with traditional laces, even with different lacing patterns. My feet are happiest now with little time in shoes (benefit of working at home) and less cushioned running shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's very unlikely that's the cause.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had them in all of my shoes for years and years - no issues.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone that has PF to a small degree in one foot which is improving and I'm upping my run volume at the same time, I can tell you bungee laces are not the issue. I have bungee laces on one pair of shoes and regular laces on the other. I alternate between both pairs. They are both Addidas Adizeroes and very simiilar models. PF is a nasty foot issue, but it has very little to do with laces, or quite possibly even your shoes. I find as the flexibility in my foot and strength in my foot improves it gets better. If I run incorrectly trying to compensate for PF (by landing on the ball of my feet), I get huge strain in my calf from over work. You'll notice I said "I" repeatedly, because "I" also know all of the experts on ST are going to tell you need custom orthotics, a full on gait analysis, and a whole bunch of other things that cost a lot. Stretching and ice are pretty inexpensive and so is fixing your running stride. Your body tells you a lot, try listening to it. This is not an equipment issue.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: "Bungee-style" shoe laces and plantar fasciitis [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

The Rolf Workshop: Alignment-Nutrition-Movement http://www.therolfworkshop.com Muscular rebalancing exercise videos at: http://www.therolfworkshop.com/blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can simply change your laces to see if it helps.
I had plantar fasciitis for about 3 years blaming my running as the cause. After 2 years of trying everything I understood that it is the way I am standing that causes the troubles. I fixed it and got rid of my PF.
My main message is keep on looking for that thing that you do every day to hurt your foot until you will find the cause. Try, learn, don't give up.
A good place for info is in: http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com

Take care & Good luck
Quote Reply