Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Athletes are born not made." [NTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their VO2 may not have been that high but I am sure their threshold levels were out of sight.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: "Athletes are born not made." [snackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is easy.

Elites will tend to say it's hard work -- oddly they seemingly are loathe to admit having an advantage. Ordinary people who struggle to improve will say it's genetics.

It's largely genetics. To win/succeed at a high level, it needs to be both genetics and serious work ethic. At lower levels of competition, the balance between the two can become more variable.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: "Athletes are born not made." [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not so much Elites are faster becasue of their good genetics, it's they are less slow do to their lack of bad genetics.
Quote Reply
Re: "Athletes are born not made." [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elites get more out of the same amount of training, would be another way to say it.

You get an elite that simply loves to train and watch out ... records may fall.

There is nothing more impressive to watch than an elite athlete that sworn not to be defeated. They can be downright unbelievable. Michael Jordan and Evander Holyfield come to mind.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: "Athletes are born not made." [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it Doug.

Question for you. I have kind of hit a plateau in the pool. Don't feel like I am getting any faster/stronger. I swim 2 -3 times a week, usually twice with the master and once by myself at the gym. Master workouts are usually 3,500 yards in various sets. I want to get better. I'm tired of swimming 75% of the rest of the field. Speed wise- I would say I can average 1:40 for 1,500 yards but if I do my fastest 100 it only improves to like 1:30 on a good day. Where should I concentrate my efforts for the most return - stroke coaching, more workouts all of the above? Thanks.

Prev Next