Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Athlete-Minded" Orthopod?
Quote | Reply
55 y.o. guy from S.E. Michigan is looking to have an arthritic hip replaced, or re-surface. He would like to remain "fitness-active". He has been doing some "Floyd research".
Anyone from Michigan, N. Ohio know of an athlete minded ortho-surgeon? (A surgeon who thinks like an STer)
He told me flat out - "I'm not interested in someone who will replace it just to let me sit, and get old! I want to move!"

www.bicitreregioni.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Athlete-Minded" Orthopod? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your post hip-replacement goals?

This shouldn't limit your ability to cycle and swim but as far as running on a prosthetic hip at your age, I am sure that it is not only a bad idea but out of the question. Are you looking for a 2nd opinion? What exactly did your first opinion tell you?

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: "Athlete-Minded" Orthopod? [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am asking for a gentleman I work with.
I don't believe he would be interested in marathon running; however, above average fitness, pain free activity and mobility are the goals.
He is not at all ready for automatic recliner / geriatric ejection seat.

www.bicitreregioni.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Athlete-Minded" Orthopod? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that swimming and bikes are no problem after hip surgery, but, running is more of a challenge.. Resurfacing might be better off than total hip arthoplasty, but if you return to running after resurfacing, you have to understand that the wear out rate is much highter.. Might be able to run some, but limited, i.e. 2-3 days/week only, very cushiony (is that a word?) shoes, run on very soft surfaces, take walk breaks, etc. I would rec calling Univ of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor and ask for Orthopedic Departmtent and ask "Does someone in the dept do resurfacing arthroplasties"..and see what they say.

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply