Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Active spokes:" Could they actually be faster?
Quote | Reply
Just found this site http://active-spoke.com/ on Joe Friel's blog. Interesting concept. Also read part of a thread on beginnertriathlete.com where the guy from the company defends the idea.

Is there such a thing as free speed?
Quote Reply
Re: "Active spokes:" Could they actually be faster? [el guapo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Probably not, especially if the free speed is to be obtained by adding tiny weights to your spokes. Do let me know if you find otherwise, though, I'd love to put some of these babies on my hed 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just found this site http://active-spoke.com/ on Joe Friel's blog. Interesting concept. Also read part of a thread on beginnertriathlete.com where the guy from the company defends the idea.

The guy ought to come over here and defend his idea, then he will learn what thick skin really is! :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: "Active spokes:" Could they actually be faster? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

The guy ought to come over here and defend his idea, then he will learn what thick skin really is! :-)

Personally, I think it would be helpful if he first calculated the overall kinetic energy of the entire bike plus rider system at various speeds and then used that as a basis for judging the effects the relatively tiny changes in rotational inertia those weights represent, and their affect on the entire system inertia.

Also, from the website, the very second sentence from the "rolldown" study begins:

Quote:
Although first-order principles of principles of physics may suggest such a wheel provides no benefit, it is theorized...

My BS meter was pegged after that ....

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Active spokes:" Could they actually be faster? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The guy ought to come over here and defend his idea, then he will learn what thick skin really is! :-)[/reply]

Did you notice Frank, on that site there was a section "how it works" . Maybe if you used a "HOW THEY WORK" section on your site people might be more positive towards the Powercrank idea.
Quote Reply
Re: "Active spokes:" Could they actually be faster? [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The guy ought to come over here and defend his idea, then he will learn what thick skin really is! :-)[/reply]

Did you notice Frank, on that site there was a section "how it works" . Maybe if you used a "HOW THEY WORK" section on your site people might be more positive towards the Powercrank idea.
Huh? I do my best on my site to explain how they work including videos and many words of attempted explanation. Most people seemingly cannot comprehend what we are talking about until they actually get on a pair as they seem to think PC's are simply the equivalent of single leg drills and since they have clipless pedals, they pedal in circles anyhow. If you have a better way of explaining what PC's are without someone riding them I am all ears, although i suspect that might be hard for you since I don't believe you have ever used them. But, just in case, send me your thoughts.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Last edited by: Frank Day: Jan 25, 08 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not "free" speed, but maybe "cheap" speed? For a little extra work carrying the weights in circles up a hill, you'd be able to pick up a greater amount of energy by letting gravity do the work on the way down. It seems to me like it would work..
Quote Reply