Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Active Desk" a cycling computer workstation
Quote | Reply
Hello All:
As some of you know, I have been developing an integrated recumbent exercise bike and computer workstation or "Active Desk". I posted it here a while back and got a very mixed response. Since then it has shaped up a bit and we hope to take it commercial very soon. To help with that, we have just started a cloud funding campaign on RocketHub. http://www.rockethub.com/...ts/12721-active-desk In addition to the actual funding, this campaign will also serve to test the market response.
I have been using various prototypes of Active Desk since June of 2011 and have averaged well over 700 kcal/day in addition to training. The cloud funding campaign is commercial only in a sort of vague way so I hope I haven't violated any Slowtwitch rule with this posting.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: "Active Desk" a cycling computer workstation [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting idea, but the posture shown in the video isn't very good. Elbows look high and not looking at the monitor straight on. I wouldn't be interested personally but good on you for trying to come up with a novel idea
Quote Reply
Re: "Active Desk" a cycling computer workstation [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the desk must be high in order to clear your knees. That's why the keyboard tray provides support for the elbows, so your traps don't get tight. I've been using prototypes for a year and a half with no use issues. The short cranks help get the height down by giving a smaller range of motion. Not looking at the monitor straight on was for the video shoot only. They wanted to be able to see his face when he walked in and sat down.
We shall see if it flies.
Cheers,
Jim

dado0583 wrote:
Interesting idea, but the posture shown in the video isn't very good. Elbows look high and not looking at the monitor straight on. I wouldn't be interested personally but good on you for trying to come up with a novel idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not stick something like this under the desk?

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this thing, if executed right and priced reasonably, has huge potential. I somewhat vaguely have heard about different metabolic and hormonal changes with sitting vs standing vs being active, but could you list them? And you should really list them on your funding site, most people have no idea these things happen. So the reasons provide some solid motivation for folks to buy and/or pledge. Also, what are all of the differences in the active desk one would get for the 1.5k pledge level vs the 2k pledge level (except for the personal consultation part)? What's the timeline for this product's availability? What part of the desk is novel enough to be patented? Has your patent applic. been posted online yet? If yes, do you have a patent applic. no.?

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Active Desk" a cycling computer workstation [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I think this thing, if executed right and priced reasonably, has huge potential. I somewhat vaguely have heard about different metabolic and hormonal changes with sitting vs standing vs being active, but could you list them? And you should really list them on your funding site, most people have no idea these things happen. So the reasons provide some solid motivation for folks to buy and/or pledge.
Excellent idea. The best introduction to the topic of "Inactivity Physiology" would be a review paper by Marc Hamilton's group at who are now at LSU.
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/...ent/56/11/2655.short this one should have full access to anyone. I'll see about writing something up and adding it to the site
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Also, what are all of the differences in the active desk one would get for the 1.5k pledge level vs the 2k pledge level (except for the personal consultation part)?
That's the only difference. Wasn't my idea. The PR guys thought that would appeal to some potential donors.
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
What's the timeline for this product's availability?
Can't say for sure but we hope its on the order of six-nine months.
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
What part of the desk is novel enough to be patented? Has your patent applic. been posted online yet? If yes, do you have a patent applic. no.?
Patent application is in review. We applied in June so I guess it should be up but I haven't looked for it on the patent office web site. We hope its novel enough.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: "Active Desk" a cycling computer workstation [00gauge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
00gauge wrote:
Why not stick something like this under the desk?
You certainly could do that. The problem will be that you will probably hit your knees on the underside of your desk. Also, your normal chair will be too deep to give you the range of motion you'll need to pedal. That is, your thighs will hit the front part of your chair on ever pedal stroke. Finally, the one study that I know of with these pedal units showed that the study participants used it for just 20min/day on average. Because they were free to move it out of the way they did, and many never put it back.
Having the integrated unit provides proper ergonomics and can't be set aside. If you're going to sit on an exercise bike all day, you may as well pedal. Think of it as a commitment.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you could find a way to transfer pedal power into "green Energy" to charge small electronics or laptop etc..you may have another way of marketing it.

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: "Active Desk" a cycling computer workstation [prosh8905] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prosh8905 wrote:
If you could find a way to transfer pedal power into "green Energy" to charge small electronics or laptop etc..you may have another way of marketing it.
I agree and we have talked about that. For now we want to stay with an eddy current resistance mechanism because it is so quiet and can be set to very low resistance. The generator systems produce a bit of noise and have a higher minimum resistance. We will certainly try to offer this at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, I was just thinking about your experiment the other day and was hoping for an update. 700 kcal/day is great - lets me eat more bacon :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: "Active Desk" a cycling computer workstation [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
lets me eat more bacon :-)
Exactly! I lost weight for a while then had to go to high intensity eating. Right now I weigh what I did in high school and eat like a horse.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just got a bit of press exposure for Active Desk:
http://www.kutv.com/...ories/vid_4130.shtml
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: "Active Desk" a cycling computer workstation [SPROSCIA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SPROSCIA wrote:

(yes, I know, the previous post was a bit old, but...) I was thinking the same thing. I had a less green, more masochistic take on it, though - what if you set it up so that the only way you could sit and work on your computer was if you created enough power to run that computer? Working late on a project, gotta get in there and turn those pedals and get this thing done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could see the benefit of using this at work just to burn some extra cals.

I'm curious does anyone have a desk that you use while on a tri bike on a trainer? I'd be interested in that so I can work while doing real training. I do this today by working on a tablet between my aerobars, but a desk with a laptop would mean I can be a lot more productive for say a long 4 hour zone 2 ride on the trainer.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: "Active Desk" a cycling computer workstation [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
(yes, I know, the previous post was a bit old, but...) I was thinking the same thing. I had a less green, more masochistic take on it, though - what if you set it up so that the only way you could sit and work on your computer was if you created enough power to run that computer? Working late on a project, gotta get in there and turn those pedals and get this thing done!

That might be a tall order for some people. I did a quick search and found the following guide to estimating computer energy cost:

http://michaelbluejay.com/...icity/computers.html

If you have one display, it could be around 140-170 watts to power the computer. I'm sure I can go all day at that effort, but I read recently that the average healthy adult can only produce 75 watts of power sustained. It could offset the costs, but not not replace it.
Quote Reply