Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"A" race wheelset? - Why?
Quote | Reply
(not sure what happened to my last post - likely hosed it up somehow)

Tell us what your "A" priority race is and what wheelset you run for that race.

What specifically drove you to that decision (Big Bear @IMLP, 10mi flat @IMLou, price, ???).

Thanks

G

Quote Reply
Re: "A" race wheelset? - Why? [ridecarbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would anyone have a specific set of wheels just for their A race? I can see having multiple race wheels to match to conditions/course, but I have trouble seeing someone saying this set of wheels is just for my A race.

That being said, when I raced in Canada last, I brought my second slowest set of wheels, but that was b/c I was racing Dev Paul and Murphy's law....I wanted to make it fair for them, not that it mattered.

Specifically though, I bought my race wheels based on what is fast for the majority of the wind conditions I anticipate I'll face and the typical topography of the races I race.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMC
front- hopefully flocycling's 60mm wheel, michelin pro race 3 20x700, panaracer polyurethane greenlite tube
rear- dt swiss 1.2 laced with powertap comp (wired), wheel builder wheel cover bolted AND taped, michelin pro race 3 23x700, panaracer polyurethane greenlite tube

aero, power data, and good puncture resistance
Quote Reply
Re: "A" race wheelset? - Why? [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
IMC
front- hopefully flocycling's 60mm wheel, michelin pro race 3 20x700, panaracer polyurethane greenlite tube
rear- dt swiss 1.2 laced with powertap comp (wired), wheel builder wheel cover bolted AND taped, michelin pro race 3 23x700, panaracer polyurethane greenlite tube

aero, power data, and good puncture resistance

I like the sounds of that. We should have our first 60mm prototypes built this weekend or next depending on our hub shipment. We'll be posting pictures when things are all said and done.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: "A" race wheelset? - Why? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this is my plan, though I'm thinking Flo 60 front and rear with a disc cover on the back so that they can be my road and tri wheelset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enchanted rock dou
jet 90 front wheelcover rear like I run at any race

what drives me is its near as fast as anything and cheap

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First "A" race is Triple T OH
I will most likely use my HED 60/90 like I did the last few years.
Crosswind is not an issue and the rear is the lighest option I have with a PT

Second "A" races is the Xterra USA Championships (If I qualify)
I'll probably use my Alex RHD 29er wheels if I don't find a reasonalbly priced race set. Anyone have any suggestions at a fair price?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: "A" race wheelset? - Why? [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lou3000 wrote:
Yeah, this is my plan, though I'm thinking Flo 60 front and rear with a disc cover on the back so that they can be my road and tri wheelset.

That's a smart move. I've used a 60/90 wheel set combo for the last few years because they are so versatile. Road, tri, racing, training etc.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am starting the trial and error process of wheels. I have been riding Mavic Ksyrium SLs for three years and ES' prior, but I just got some 85mm carbon wheels. Unless there are terrible crosswinds, I'll probably be sporting the 85mm for races. If I am unsure come race time, I may do 85 in the back and my Ksyrium in the front (it will look weird, but oh well). My training rides will help me determine.

I have ridden on deeper rims a couple times in the past, but never had my own set. So, I'm looking forward to it.

My "A" race this year, if all goes according to plan is Augusta 70.3. After doing a few shorter tris, I made the jump to the half. I did it last year and want to see my improvements, especially since I'm doing a few 1/2s this year. You can fly on the course and the deeper rims should be very niiiice. Most of my pre-races are in North Carolina, so the flatter roads suit the deep rims too.

Front/back: Kane Custom Carbon 85mm with Tufo S33 Special tubulars
-or-
Front/back: Mavic Ksyrium SLs with Continental Grand Prix 4000

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Last edited by: kanebikes: Mar 18, 11 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: "A" race wheelset? - Why? [kanebikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most often:
Front: Hed H3, 20mm veloflex tire, micheline latex tube
Rear: Hed Jet Disc, 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa Evo KS, micheline latex tube

Sometimes (Roadraces, Alpe d'huez Triathlon):
Front + Rear: Hed Ardennes with Schwalbe Ultremo R1, micheline latex tube

Seldom (very windy like mexiko, disc illegal):
Front: flashpoint S40
Rear: Xentis