Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"5 Hour Energy"
Quote | Reply
An ultra-runner friend recommended that I try one of those "5 Hour Energy" things and claimed that it has done wonders for his training and racing. I'm wondering if anyone here has ever tried it, and what the experience has been. If positive, any recommendations on protocol (eg. when to take) would be helpful. A quick search of the forum turned up nothing. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [sharkb8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems to be hit or miss with me. Sometimes i take it and I feel unbelievable. Other times, mah.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've taken it before a couple volleyball tournaments. I never really felt a surge of energy like when I drank a Monster so I didn't know if it worked until when I tried to go to bed. I usually took them around 4:30 or 5 and when I tried to go to bed at 10:30ish I'd just lay there unable to feel sleepy and it wasn't until midnight that I'd finally be tired enough to sleep.

Based on that I'd say they must work but just don't expect an energy surge to help push through a tough workout.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it is caffeine.

a convenient delivery mechanism but caffeine pills are even cheaper.

mmmm...don't know about that....

"Extra Strength 5-Hour Energy contains caffeine comparable to 12 ounces of the leading premium coffee"

I drink about 6 cups of coffee a day and it is most certainly a different feeling.
I think it has more to do with the massive amounts of Vitamin B.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and B vitamins
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [j_reese_22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it for long workouts and occasional races. Generally just keeps me focused for longer. It isnt the same short boost like caffeine or sugar, more of a subtle slow release for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm really feeling out of it morning of a shorter distance race, I'll take one a half hour before start. They're small enough that they don't upset my stomach like a big energy drink would, and coffee always does.
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [LoriT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
and B vitamins

those are present but not in sufficient volume to be doing anything other than marketing

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used them a few times. I think it works but it isn't like I fall asleep on my bike :)

-------
HED. Cycling - Twitter @hedcycling - HED Wheel Selector iPhone App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
and B vitamins

those are present but not in sufficient volume to be doing anything other than marketing

8000% over your daily maximum recommended dosage isn't sufficient enough?
I have no idea about this stuff at all so don't know the science behind it. i have heard all kinds of crazy stuff though. :)
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
according to some doctors who have commented on energy drinks like this, yes, not enough.

to get an energy boost you need an injection of the stuff.

I have no doubt that the effect/experience of 5 hour energy differs from a monster, or red bull, probably because of the lack of sugar and speed of delivery.

compare it to a caffeine pill though and see if its different.
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
and B vitamins

8000% over your daily maximum recommended dosage isn't sufficient enough?
I have no idea about this stuff at all so don't know the science behind it. i have heard all kinds of crazy stuff though. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call it "5 hr crap." How can it provide you with energy when it only has 4 calories? As other have said, it has caffeine which is a stimulant.

http://www.fuelforendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you arent racing against me, I'll give you two words: Pre Race. (and I'm not saying to take the 5 hour energy before a race, if thats what you thought!)

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Last edited by: Physiojoe925: Sep 29, 10 15:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well there you go. However, it's generally recommended to not take B Vitamins at night or in the afternoon or they can keep one awake.
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [LoriT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well there you go. However, it's generally recommended to not take B Vitamins at night or in the afternoon or they can keep one awake.

by the same people who say you need to drink water before your thirsty and at least 8 glasses a day?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a near sleepless night, a 2 hour drive to a 12 mile time trial (that I did twice) and a 3 hour drive home I can safely call the product this:

3.5 Hour Energy - dead rest of day.

Luckily, I drank it right before TT#1. Had I drank it any earlier my drive home would have not went well. As it was the last hour of my drive about killed me.

http://bryanlh.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it is caffeine.

yes, and you can't chop up 5 hour energy and snort it up your nose.
not that i'd ever do such a thing.... (geez, doing the math and realizing that was 24 years ago. I can still remember the taste of that no-doz minty dripping down the back of my throat).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot take it. Five hours into a ride with an hour to go I tried one. Started feeling sick and flushed red,I think because of the niacin. Took about 20-30 minutes to feel normal again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting thoughts, everyone. I guess like everything, YMMV but if you're going to try it, best to do so in a training situation rather than a race. Appreciate the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to get an energy boost you need an injection of the stuff.

In undergrad a couple of us had terrible flu and a water polo game. Enter the trainer with a big ass needle and shot of vitamin B in the ass. That stuff could animate a corpse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"it is caffeine.

a convenient delivery mechanism but caffeine pills are even cheaper."

Spot on with that assessment. In an average healthy adult, caffeine has a half-life of about 5 hours. Hence the name.
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As long as you arent racing against me, I'll give you two words: Pre Race. (and I'm not saying to take the 5 hour energy before a race, if thats what you thought!)

-Physiojoe

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. After using it I was questioning how on earth it could be legal! It is the PF Flyers of energy drinks.
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It didn't do much for me....seems like a waste from my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: "5 Hour Energy" [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
it is caffeine.

yes, and you can't chop up 5 hour energy and snort it up your nose.
not that i'd ever do such a thing.... (geez, doing the math and realizing that was 24 years ago. I can still remember the taste of that no-doz minty dripping down the back of my throat).

Yeah, I never snorted Vivarin in college either. I have no idea what that is like. About 23 years for me.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next