Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial"
Quote | Reply
"The 2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial, according to Specialized, who sent the tires to Wheel Energy for the Finnish company’s 40kph drum test."

http://www.bikeradar.com/...-full-details-37862/
Quote Reply
Re: "2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial" [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
note it says 4000 and not 4000S. typo or not?
Quote Reply
Re: "2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial" [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
note it says 4000 and not 4000S. typo or not?

Saw that... very important distinction.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: "2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial" [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Using Dr. Coggan's ROT, assuming that the comparison was to the 4000 and not the 4000S, it makes the claim quite impressive

"0.0005 reduction in Crr will equate to an increase in speed of 0.5s/km or 5W of free power"
Quote Reply
Re: "2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial" [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and how much faster is the 4000S than the 4000

on AFMs old chart(before 4000s got even faster) the 4000 was .001 slower than the 4000S, ie 2x .0005

not saying this may not be a fast tire, just pointing out what it states it is compared to
Last edited by: jeffp: Jul 15, 13 6:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
and how much faster is the 4000S than the 4000

on AFMs old chart(before 4000s got even faster) the 4000 was .001 slower than the 4000S, ie 2x .0005

not saying this may not be a fast tire, just pointing out what it states it is compared to

Seems the question is how the new S-Works tire compares to something like a Conti SuperSonic in terms of durability. IOW, we already know the SuperSonic is a very low Crr clincher but not the most durable tire. If the S-Works is comparable in terms of Crr is it also more durable. Same comparison could be made to the Corsa CX, both the Vittoria and the Conti SS are faster in pure Crr terms than the GP4000 but perhaps not as durable.

And of course the drum test mentioned just looked at Crr and not aero properties which we know can tip the scales towards one tire or another at race speeds.

-Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Along with the question of whether it is a 4000 or a 4000S (I suspect they meant the S really)

I must also point out that the quote seems to be from CRR alone. The 4000S also has magic aero properties, so, at least for a front wheel you might still want the 4000S

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By my reckoning, 35 secs at 40km/hr for 40km would be about .0007 difference in Crr. If they are comparing to the 4000S, that would put the SWorks tire a little better than any clincher I've tested.

Too bad this article has so little info. Prior SWorks had the 220 tpi Vittoria Diamante casing and the same Gripton tread. Probably nothing has changed. If it still has the Diamante casing, then expect it to be fragile... and I'd also be skeptical of the Crr claims. If it is the 320tpi casing, then the Crr claim is more believable.

And WTF is this?!

"Specialized claims Gripton has less rolling resistance than any other mainstream tire"

My first impression was "that's a really odd tread pattern" .... but I guess it's the testing drum...
Quote Reply
Re: "2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial" [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how does it compare to the now extinct mondo pro open tubular(ie clincher)
Quote Reply
Re: "2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial" [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>And WTF is this?!

The Gripton has gone has come to life, and will soon be coming after us.

I like this picture too. Four-finger technique right there. S-Works MondoSnatch (tm).

Last edited by: trail: Jul 15, 13 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: "2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Magura brakes will be available on the Shiv, it looks like they have an adapter that connects the two post design of the shiv fork to work with the conventional single bolt brake.
Quote Reply
Re: "2014 S-Works road tire is 35 seconds faster than Continental’s Grand Prix 4000 in a 40km time trial" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is funny as hell! So obvious, I missed it...

Some pretty good subliminal advertising right there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few can handle the quattro!

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like the storage, maybe in about 16 months someone would actually be able to buy the tires and find out for themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were specialized, I'd definitely have tested a slower colored GP 4000 and then just not specify the distinction in the crr tests. Same way I'd test a Micheline Pro 4 as well and not mention whether it was the service course or the comp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL!!!
Quote Reply