Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"100 up" run training
Quote | Reply
Came across this article in NYT Mag from runblogger.com. Just thought it was interesting along with the video. I don't want to start arguments about what is better, shod or unshod, just thought it was an interesting read with a simple drill that you can watch that I wanted to share....

http://www.nytimes.com/...agewanted=1&_r=1

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Last edited by: dforbes: Nov 3, 11 3:06
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read this as well. Seems interesting. Does anyone know where to find a video or picture of doing the "100-up"?
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [jsiddall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsiddall wrote:
I read this as well. Seems interesting. Does anyone know where to find a video or picture of doing the "100-up"?

http://video.nytimes.com/...cret-of-running.html
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [vitalstatistix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ,, Video at the top of this page
http://www.nytimes.com/...-mcdougall.html?_r=1
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [newrunner333] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't that pretty much lesson 1 from the pose technique book and video?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like how McDougal says in the video something like... "...you'll see the small group of elite runners running correctly, then thousands of slower (regular runners) people doing it thousands of wrong ways".

Is he aware that there are many elite heel strikers?

Is he aware that there are some very slow "perfect" runners?

Oh wait, he works for the NY Times. Why let facts get in the way?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was kinda shaking my head through that whole speech as well. As someone who's always getting hurt running with no real solutions as of yet I'm gonna give this 100-up a go, I think it's interesting...but it seems like yet another 'too good to be true' type solution. What if you have muscle imbalances? Inflexibilities? I'm just not sure picking my leg up over and over again is the end-all, be-all these guys make it out to be but hell, nothing else has worked so might as well give it a go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was intrigued by this as well and decided to give it a try. I also I created a website to document it.
http://100up.info/
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [10up] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Aren't hill repeats or stairs repeats (ie very standard work-outs) just the "Major" in a more dynamic manner ?...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i call these high knees. I do them after every run. except much faster to simulate a high run cadence and in a forward motion. McDougall doesnt make any mention to the importance of a high run cadence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came across this video that shows the basic same technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pv-qCjYgjM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High Knees. Kinda reinventing the wheel isn't he? I got an idea! A sport where you swim then bike then run. It will be a new thing!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [BeastTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BC then he would be like Danny and Chi-running. His videos are well thought through with running on sand and other surfaces and work at any speed. I have to admit I would switch to his for Xterra World Champs just for the sand portion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Replying to:Re: "100 up" run training [dforbes] by BeastTriPost:i call these high knees. I do them after every run. except much faster to simulate a high run cadence and in a forward motion. McDougall doesnt make any mention to the importance of a high run cadence.

I think the difference is that, standing still, it can help people learn the feeling of not overreaching with where the feet land. And no elite runners do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have officially put McDougal into the "running guru hack" category. Walter George was a tremendously talented runner, far moreso than almost anyone around today. To claim that anyone and everyone will run faster if they use this magical exercise (that are already praticed in every high school in America, by the way) is complete hogwash.

I am all for minimalist running as part of your run training, I am all for improving your form, but I can never get behind McDougal when he says that his way is the perfect way, because it isn't for the vast majority of us.
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [trexleradam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hello, I am Geoffrey Mutai, winner of the 2011 Boston Marathon in a world best time of 2:03:01, and I am a mild heelstriker, along with most of my elite Kenyan compatriots.

Greetings, I am Zersenay Tadese, Half Marathon World Record holder and many time world champion, and I am a heel striker, even at 4:30/mile.

Look at pictures of the lead pack in major marathons, when they are cruising, a large percentage of them land heel first(not hard, but still heel first), leg slightly extended, toes slightly pointed up. They're extremely efficient with what their feet do after hitting the ground, but the heel takes the first hit. There is NOT a perfect way to run. There is a perfect way for each person to run, but that is not a universal trait.
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
during college, i switched from playing soccer to running track and my coaches had a specific warm-up designed to accomplish several vital things:

1. get your muscles primed for what was usually an intense interval workout (i ran 400m and 400m hurdles)
2. improve your running mechanics
3. improve flexibility

the first week of our preseason this is all we do, just a 45 minute warm-up and you definitely feel it. after my first few weeks doing the warmup, i was much more flexible (especially in my hips) and running more smoothly as well.

the first drill in the warm-up set was essentially the first part of 100-up but instead of being stationary, we would walk down the track 40m and back slowly mimicking optimal form: feet always dorsiflexed, upright posture, eyes ahead, relaxed shoulders (those simple 4 right there are commonly not done well). the motion of the leg is meant to be as you would be sprinting so high knee drive, midfoot strike (which is easy to make sure you are doing when you are walking slow), high heel recovery all while maintaining dorsiflexion and good posture. your elbows should be at 90 degrees with your fists moving from "back pocket to chin level". teaching your body proper form in easily isolated pieces improves the muscle memory needed for efficient running.

if there is interest, i can put together the full warm-up as a separate thread. while most of our training schedules don't allow for extended warm-ups, going to the track once or twice a week to do just this warm-up will really benefit you. for me, it was one of the easiest and most effective ways to self-help better running form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McDougall doesnt make any mention to the importance of a high run cadence.

Funny, because cadence is a HUGE part of great running form! In fact, many should should ditch all this running form hokas-pokas and just focus on cadence. Increasing cadence fixes many of the other "problems", and . . . you'll run faster!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 5, 11 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the sweat science blog and liked his response to the article.

http://sweatscience.com/...one-true-way-to-run/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Movember themed picture!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RFXCrunner wrote:

Hello, I am Geoffrey Mutai, winner of the 2011 Boston Marathon in a world best time of 2:03:01, and I am a mild heelstriker, along with most of my elite Kenyan compatriots.

Hello, no you're not.

http://www.youtube.com/...rV7E6Qi5ifg&NR=1

Nor, from what I've seen, are "most" of them. Still photos are not good for determining sort of thing . What's interesting about this video is that both Mutai and Mosop are running perfectly, yet Mutai touches with his midfoot and Mosop clearly touches first with his toe.

The entire toe vs heel is a bit of a red-herring anyway. What matters mostly is not what part of the foot touches the ground first but rather where your entire lower leg lands relative to your center of gravity. Even the fastest runners, landing properly over their lower legs can be "heel strikers" if they tend to dorsiflex more. And those who plantar flex will be "toe strikers". The difference between the elite heel striker and the Joe Six-Pack heel striker is that the elite doesn't "strike" at all. He "touches". Because he's landing over his lower leg, not behind it. That's probably why so many more average runners land on their heels. When you are overstriding, it's a lot harder to touch with your toes first.
Last edited by: JoeO: Nov 5, 11 10:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT'S TRUE! I sped up my turn over to great effect.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McDougall doesnt make any mention to the importance of a high run cadence.

Funny, because cadence is a HUGE part of great running form!

Actually, McDougall agrees with that. Here he says: "So spend as much time aloft as possible by making your footstrikes quick and light. I like to occasionally check my cadence with a four-count (1,2, 3,4…1, 2, 3, 4). I count as each knee comes up, making sure each foot is lifting as quickly as the other."

I think he says more about it in Born to Run, but I don't have my copy handy.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: "100 up" run training [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
RFXCrunner wrote:

Hello, no you're not.

http://www.youtube.com/...rV7E6Qi5ifg&NR=1

Nor, from what I've seen, are "most" of them. Still photos are not good for determining sort of thing . What's interesting about this video is that both Mutai and Mosop are running perfectly, yet Mutai touches with his midfoot and Mosop clearly touches first with his toe.

The entire toe vs heel is a bit of a red-herring anyway. What matters mostly is not what part of the foot touches the ground first but rather where your entire lower leg lands relative to your center of gravity. Even the fastest runners, landing properly over their lower legs can be "heel strikers" if they tend to dorsiflex more. And those who plantar flex will be "toe strikers". The difference between the elite heel striker and the Joe Six-Pack heel striker is that the elite doesn't "strike" at all. He "touches". Because he's landing over his lower leg, not behind it. That's probably why so many more average runners land on their heels. When you are overstriding, it's a lot harder to touch with your toes first.

This vid is .5 from the line...both these guys are full gas and waaaaaayyyyy more up on their toes than for 90% of the race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next