Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"""IM Nutrition"""
Quote | Reply
I`ll be in Cozumel(first IM ever) in less than 2 weeks and I m working right now on my nutrition plan. For the run I will do as usual and live or die with gatorade and gel, I can`t handle anything else(including Coke...)

The facts about me:

»190-195 pounds
»heavy sweater(I can flood my basement while I m on CT if the sump pump fail!)
»I forecast a sub 5h bike leg, probably around 4:40-4:50
»sub 1h swim
»the temp/humidity will be to the roof

Products who works for me at this time:

»Accelerade
»Carbo Pro
»Edge Electrolyte
»Clif products(shot, blocks, gel,bar, etc....)
»Accel gel

My last HIM was fueled with those stuffs, do I only need to X2 everything or I`ll need more? Sodium/hour? Carb/hour? Cal/hour? I`m a bit confuse with that!!
I know there s a lot of products available but I will stick with those, I don t want to be a test pilot down there...

I`m waiting for any recipe!

Thanks

jf
Quote Reply
Re: """IM Nutrition""" [bushpilot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you now just working on your nutrition? You should have been refining your plan over the summer and have it dialed in right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you use in training?

Not having your nutrition figured out less than two weeks prior to a race is a recipe for disaster. No pun intended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do they offer on course at the aid stations?

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you try Hammer products for the first time on race day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What were you eating during training?? Not having this figured out by now is a bad sign. I am assuming you have some logs of what you ate and drank during your longer workouts? That information would be useful as a starting point. I too am a heavy sweater, I find that liquids with calories are a good bet. Every body is diffrent and Everybody is diffrent. More data is needed regarding what you have been doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going by the threads on the front page right now, I would recommend perpeteum and sea water. This should ensure that you're a few lbs lighter by the run, ready for a scintillating PR!

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do what you've been doing in training. Also, don't treat the marathon like a stand alone marathon in terms of nutrition. I did this, became dehydrated and walked from about 17/18 - 21 at IMFL. Be sure that you are taking in water/gatoraid and gels (or whatever works for you) early and often. Seriously, there is a reason that there are aid stations at every mile. Like you, I thought that I couldn't handle anything other than the water/gatoraid/gel regimine for the run. Boy was I wrong and grateful that I tried new things. I ended up eating a bit of fruit and going for the chicken broth. Seriously, the chicken broth was amazing; however, the thought of it right now makes me sick...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's dangerous ;-)

Seriously, as many have said a) you should have worked this out long time ago in training; b) these comments don't help for this time round, so the second best plan is to use what you have used in training but knowing that when you finish the bike leg you still have a marathon to run. How much did you eat during your long rides? Did you finish feeling hungry / thirsty? Could you eat/drink more at the pace you trained? You probably need to drink and possibly eat more than you have in training. IT may mean drop of the pace slightly to both save the legs for the marathon and ingest enough. I set my watch to bip every 15' or 20' to remind me to eat and drink, in particular early in the ride when you don't yet feel the need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've got your run nutrition figured out as you say, then:

600+ Calorie breakfast of the foods you normally eat before training except any bulky/fibrous foods.

Eat and drink sports nutrition products/water all the way to the race start, dictated by hunger and thirst.

On the bike:

400+ Cal per hour of the gel of your choice: Carry enough for the first two hours or so and replace as you go along with on course gels. Carry gels in the single serving packs to make it easy to count Calories.

1000 mg of sodium per LITER (not hour) of water: The more you drink the more salt you take. Do the math. Know how much Na is in the gels and salt tabs you plan to take.

Drink water to thirst.

Keep it simple and flexible.

Your pacing is as big a component of your nutrition as what you put in your mouth. You can use PE, power, and hr to pace. But, if you don't use your stomach, you'll fail. It will be hot in Cozumel and you will need to adjust your speed/power expectations accordingly. If you can't absorb at least 400 Calories per hour on the bike, then you are riding too hard, taking into consideration your size. You should have swam and rode easy enough to be hungry for the first few hours on the bike.
Last edited by: R. Armstrong: Nov 16, 09 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: """IM Nutrition""" [bryan913] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why don't you try Hammer products for the first time on race day?

Why the sarcasm? GUYS THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.!!!
Quote Reply
Re: """IM Nutrition""" [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's dangerous ;-)

Seriously, as many have said a) you should have worked this out long time ago in training; b) these comments don't help for this time round, so the second best plan is to use what you have used in training but knowing that when you finish the bike leg you still have a marathon to run. How much did you eat during your long rides? Did you finish feeling hungry / thirsty? Could you eat/drink more at the pace you trained? You probably need to drink and possibly eat more than you have in training. IT may mean drop of the pace slightly to both save the legs for the marathon and ingest enough. I set my watch to bip every 15' or 20' to remind me to eat and drink, in particular early in the ride when you don't yet feel the need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't forget real food for brekkie

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And so many people blasted Chip for his post a little while ago about this very thing...

Quote:
Dont go.

The course is the course, it is what it is and no "tips" can change this. If you are going to IM, of the WTC brand, Silverman, GFT or any other race you can count on a few things - the swim will be 2.4 miles, the bike 112 miles and the run 26.2 miles...there will be more aid stations that just about anyone could ever need. If you are PREPARED for your 'race' you will know what it takes to go the distance of each - oddly, I presume that in this course of being prepared you have already swam and ridden your bike these distances with out a baby sitter nor constant aid stations. I also presume that you have a long run or two that did not have a mile to mile buffet to keep you over laden with sugar calories, caffeine and orange slices.

If you are PREPARED you will know how to change a tire and where to put your bib number. You will know what wheels are and are not a good option (and to that, ONLY at Kona is this a worry as disks are a no go - any other race that Kona...run what you brung as the car racing scene would say). If you are PREPARED you are not a week out going to ask about how many gels and of what brand to use - and how often. If you are PREPARED you will not ask what shirt to wear, what shoes to wear, how to get your socks on or what to do if the swim is not wetsuit legal.

These questions only prove day to day what I have known. Far too many folks are going out and playing "I hope I can finish" Ironman and are obviously NOT prepared...because if they were prepared they would not have such idiotic questions just days out....days out, one should KNOW they can finish - how fast should be the only question.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
may the nutrition gods be on your side!!
Quote Reply