Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what's in your Box before a century/long ride?
Quote | Reply
I have read a ton of books on nutrition ... but when I look down at my Bento Box I have to wonder why.

* 1 package of Pop Tarts
* 3 packages of fat free fig newtons
* 1 GU
* Burts Bees chapstick (like crack for your lips)
* Asthma inhaler

If I am not wearing a jersey with pockets, I cram a PB&J in the bento box, too. Squishy!

So.. what's in your box? :)
Quote Reply
Re: what's in your Box before a century/long ride? [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5-6 gels, cell phone, maybe chap stick. Most of the routes I do have stores along the way if I need anything else, like a bagel, pastry, more gatorade, or candy bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sooo over powerbars and clif bars!! Now I eat oreo cakesters. They are 250 cals of pure sugar rush!! They are soft and easy to eat. I also have PB crackers in case I want something salty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2-PB&J sandwiches, cell phone, $5-$10, Driver's License, fig newtons, trail mix or peanut-almond clusters, skittles or starbursts and a cliff bar. I always carry ID on me when I am riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't own a bento box.

In the jersey pockets: cell phone and money and credit card; couple of Gu packs; one Powerbar or Clif Bar (emergency purposes only); Bottle of infinIT. I'll stop along the way for extra water and real food.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: what's in your Box before a century/long ride? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you put caffeine in your infinit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have a very sensitive stomach. Some days I can eat Cliff bars, other days they don't go down. I have resorted to eating Rice crispy treats. They are about 90 calories and go down easy with minimal chewing. I also like Sharkies and Sport beans. I do use power gels on the run though. Maybe one or two gels on the bike if I need a hit of caffine.

Michelle

http://www.ironmom141.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Century this past weekend:
Bento box: cell phone in zip loc baggie (rainstorms on and off), three vanilla Gu gels. Garmin Edge since it short circuits and turns itself off in the handlebar mount.
Saddle bag: emergency info in zip loc baggie, Brave Soldier first aid kit, two inner tubes, two 12g cartridges, three tire levers, two tire adapters for the cartridges, one allen multi-tool, $20 in assorted bills, one old sock for wiping grime off hands in the event of chain/tire disaster.
And of course, my road ID on the ankle bracelet also had all the emergency contact info.
In my jersey pockets: lip balm, house key, paper towels in zip loc baggie (see rainy day note above, needed paper towels to wipe glasses).

I never touched the gels, however; I drank about one bottle per hour of Gatorade, that was sufficient for the century. I was, however, craving salty pretzels and next time I'll take my own (yes in a zip loc baggie) since the sponsoring bike club didn't have salty snacks at their aid stations.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No bento box either!

Typically start with two bottle of perpeteum and then I carry 4 baggies @ 2 scoops of perpeteum each. I stop and get water and mix up my bottles.
I carry a bag of cliff shot blocks, a caffeine gel and 2 regular gels. $$ and cell phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually do a multi-loop century course when I do one on my own. I use my car as special needs so all I bring with me on the bike is usual flat tire stuff, Perpetuem, a couple gels, cash, debit card, insurance card, blood type card and drivers license. I try to keep my loops to less than 2 hour ride time just to reduce the amount of stuff I have to carry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you put caffeine in your infinit?

For tris, no. Cycling only, yes. I've tried the caffeine in training and running after the bike caused stomach issues.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: what's in your Box before a century/long ride? [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Century on gels and fluids only? Wow. I think I'd wilt!

I also have a ankle road ID, and I carry my cell phone. Lately I have two cans of Vittoria Pitt Stop in my tool bag, along with a multi tool and some cashola. I am hoping to have a chance to try the VPS before race day. So far no flats. When I want to get a flat, I don't. When I don't, I get two in a row. :) Go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if it makes you feel any better, my hubby started to flat at IMFL at about mile 40 on the bike. He used the VPS and it worked great--carried him all the way to the end! And, he's a pretty big guy. It luckily was his front tire but it was nice to see it did work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baggies with Infinit measured out (2 already on the bike 3 in the box)
pack of shot blox
couple of gu's

This is for a supported ride and I may/may not go through all. Last time I went through all my Infinit, but not the others. My Infinit is at 145/ 2 scoops.

Edit: Insurance card, cash, and credit card.
Cell phone as well in zip lock.

Took my camera on my last century and got some good photos of me and training partner!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Last edited by: KT-tri: Sep 12, 08 6:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep it simple: debit card, ID, Cell Phone, 1 gu, 1 cliff bar & 1 banana in my jersey (don 't own a bento box)
On the bike: 1 bottle with Gatorade or Accelerade, and tool kit with 1 tube, 1 CO2, allen key

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Last edited by: Alexia: Sep 13, 08 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: what's in your Box before a century/long ride? [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am surprised by how few calories most of you take with you. Some of you stop for chow. I have been trying to nail my race day nutrition plan and just eat what I bring.

For those of you who have done an IM, what is the most delicious thing that went down easy that you threw in your special needs bag?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am surprised by how few calories most of you take with you. Some of you stop for chow. I have been trying to nail my race day nutrition plan and just eat what I bring.

For those of you who have done an IM, what is the most delicious thing that went down easy that you threw in your special needs bag?
Sometimes, I do stop for "food" ...last week I was so hungry during a ride that I stopped at 7/11 for some Taquitos!

During IM, there comes a point where I can stand sugar anymore, I always have some Pringles in my bike & run special needs bag ... (I also throw in a can of Red Bull)

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(No bento box)

In my pockets:
2 Cliff or Powerbars
4-6 gels
2 baggies with gatorade or accelerade powder for backup (depending on how hot the day will be)
Cell phone
multi-tool
Chain tool
License
Credit card and some cash

In saddle bag:
2 spare tubes
2 CO2s
inflater
2 tire irons
Vittoria Pit Stop

In Bottle cages:
3 bottles gatorade

On wrist:
Road ID

For a century I'll need about 1000 calories. So I tend to take at least 1400. Good to have extra in case we go longer or someone else needs some. One of my friends always carries a fannie pack full of first aid stuff and various tools. We always make fun of him, but are VERY happy when we need that stuff!

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly! I have always wondered how people do it on fluid/liquid only... I've never tried it. My body is like clockwork, I pretty much get hungry every 45 minutes after the first 1.5 hours (I guess that's about the time my breakfast is burned off).

I load the bento with GU gels (van, espresso love, orange or lime), an energy bar of some sort and/or PB&J sandwich cut in squares. I have also brought along Trader Joe's peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets- these are GOOD!! Water and GU2O as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do almost all of my training on liquids only (concentrated Infinit), unless I'm doing 5+ hours. Then, I loop back to my car and have a PB sandwich and I sometimes nibble on a Clif Bar or Sport Beans. I put a PB sandwich in my special needs at LP and it was exactly what I needed.
Quote Reply
Re: what's in your Box before a century/long ride? [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oreo cakesters! That's brilliant! Have you tried washing those down with Gatorade or is that a recipe for puking?
The trick now is going to be keeping them in the house for biking consumption only...
Quote Reply
Re: what's in your Box before a century/long ride? [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEs I do wash them down with gatorade.
Quote Reply